And we're back.. again!

Started by aaronjb, September 6, 2007, 17:26

Anonymous

Thanks Arron - been lost with out my daily MR2ROC.

Think the new e-star is well deserved

Liz

Well done that Man!!  I seriously thought that I had left the country and been locked out - good job I knew where to find you all...feels weird posting and my time comes out in the middle of the night - its early evening here!!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

spit

Thats a dedicated Club Sec for you! Hope you're having fun out there Liz. Hi to Si.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"Oh - one more thing.

It appears the odd post has gotten truncated in the move  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   I think that's a character encoding issue (my server runs a slightly newer version of MySQL, which decided to transcode everything to utf-8, while the 1&1 server doesn't support that).. if you own a post that got shortened..

then I'm terribly sorry!

If possible let me know and I'll rescue the additional data (as long as it's intact) from the development server database.

One of those posts would be the Pre-Cat Sticky: It got proper shortened to about 3 sentences  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Lucky for me that I'm ace and had a back-up: It's now restored but the page itself is b0rked, go and have a look and you'll see what I mean.

richbay

good job old boy !!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "enid_b"(and a nicely trimmed box too)

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

aaronjb

Quote from: "Ekona"It's now restored but the page itself is b0rked, go and have a look and you'll see what I mean.

Yeah - that happens when a post gets chopped off in the middle and is then missing a closing BB tag - usually a closing [ quote ] tag.

I've edited the offending post and fixed the tags, so the page is OK again
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

roger

Well done Aaron.

Just looking at this thread, there appears to be lots of "superfluous" posts. Pictures (Stars), +1,   s:D :D s:D   etc etc. Should we as membership try to avoid these until we have got the bigger storage, or is it really insignificant in the time scale we are talking about?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

aaronjb

It should be fine in the short term.

However..

The issue of truncated posts;  basically this has happened everywhere anyone used a £ sign.  It's also affected the Subdreamer controlled areas (like the Merchandise listing above).

There are two ways I can fix this - the long way (you report a post that's missing something, I manually pull out data, insert it back into the database) or the short way.

Unfortunately the short way involves me rolling the database back to the state it was in before the server went down - which means we would lose any posts made between yesterday and today..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

celmacmat

Woo hoo the forum is back!!!

Well done Aaron   s:D :D s:D
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

roger

Aaron, personally I would go for option 2. To be done asap, asuming that we can still go after that, We are not back to our 150MB?

Otherwise you could be bringing back posts for years!! Do you have the time (or inclination)?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

SimonC_Here

You do know you'll lose your diamond star!

roll it back, and do it sooner rather than later.

Maybe a quick query to see how many posts have be made in the last days?

S

aaronjb

Ok folks - we're back again!

Since the last time we were back we have unfortunately lost any new threads that were posted (sorry - my fault entirely, I forgot to export the new entries from that table.. Ste, sorry, the Ding Day thread is gone  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  ), but we should have new posts in existing threads.

You should all also have any PMs you received between Friday and now, and the new users who signed up should also exist.

We're now back to 140Mb or so in the database - so if people could clear their PM boxes out, or make sure you save anything you want to keep in the save box (warning: I'll be reducing it to 50 PMs and 50 in the save box!), then I'll reduce that Sunday evening.

If anyone spots anything broken.. please say.

wbarrwebster

Thanks aaron,

Was lost without the site.............amazed at the addiction!!

Thanks again!

Barry W
W. B. Webster

aaronjb

Whoops - some slight database snafoos earlier, in that every new post ended up magically tagged onto the end of one of the posts that were in the new threads that we lost  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

So, thanks to the kind person here, who posted this thread - I managed to resurrect every one of the threads I thought we'd lost by repeatedly splitting his posts off into a new thread..

Every time I split them off, one of the lost 'new threads' reappeared, and I could split his posts off again..

So - Ste - don't worry, the ding day post is back in Events!  s:) :) s:)

spit

Aaron. Thanks so much for your persistence with this. You are a true hero.

Mwah!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Jigwar

Quote from: "spit"Aaron. Thanks so much for your persistence with this. You are a true hero.

+1

Inbox pruned from 101%   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

alancdavis

I had nothing to do at the night,,,,,no forum   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

heathstimpson

Nice one super Aaron  s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

loadswine

Well done again Aaron, superb job.  s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Liz

Pat on the back for you Aaron, welll done!  s:D :D s:D
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

cdrskull

well done m8  :-) :-) :-)  I know I'm new but I also now how much work goes in behind the scenes that no one see's..

Just wondering how much it would be to up the storage limit of the mysql db ? if its only a bit I will pay it as it would save all the work needing to be done again.. 150mb is nothing now'a'days in db storage size, should be 2gb now  :-) :-) :-)

let me know

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion
www.dnaoc.co.uk - Owners Club
www.bluepc.co.uk - Bolton PC Repairs (my new venture)

aaronjb

Steve - very kind offer  s:) :) s:)

Unfortunately 1&1 don't offer larger databases - but we'll be moving to a new host soon(ish) that will offer much more space..

Before that happens, though, we'll hold some kind of a fundraiser for donations.  Fortunately we should be good for a few weeks yet, now that I've shrunk things a bit  s:) :) s:)

Chris

Excellent work Aaron and any others that may have been involved! I've done my bit and emptied all my sent items and pruned my mailbox!!
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

You're a wizard Arry. Must be, I logged on after three weeks away to 270 new posts. Howdy to you all, BTW, nice to be back.

Tags: