knocking, nearside rear

Started by Anonymous, December 14, 2003, 13:51

Anonymous

W reg, about 26k, manual, mainly driven by my wife... Anyway, our well loved mr2 has suddenly developed a knocking noise, seemingly nearside rear. Must be something to do with the drive as the engine sounds fine in neutral and and the noise only occurs when accelerating, stops when you press the clutch, gets quicker the quicker you go. No expert, but driveshaft? Couldn't book it in to my local Toyota garage directly (Motorline Canterbury), have to ring a central number apparently. Bit odd, although I did ring on Saturday afternoon. Anyway, are there any ideas or similar problems encountered out there? If it is a knackered driveshaft how much is MR T likely to charge?

Slacey

It does sound to me like it could be the driveshaft (more likely the bearings though), but I'm no expert - personally I would get it looked at ASAP and take it to the dealer first thing Monday morning - better safe than sorry!
As for repair costs, I have no idea, but I assume your car is out of warranty now?

BTW, it's the first time I've heard of anything like this  s:( :( s:(
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Yep, out of warranty and bought privately so the bank account gets it! A further question to the more mechanically minded out there, if it is a drive-shaft/bearing problem could this have been caused by a big impact from, for example a  large pot hole. Just starting to gather evidence against the local council who seem reluctant to mend a truly awful bit of road that I have to drive every day. You can slalom round the holes most of the time but inevitably on a dark night with oncoming traffic there is the odd 'CRASH' which given the mr2's suspension set up makes me wince. (And by the way, as a newbie, what a fantastic forum and club!)

Anonymous

Took the car into Motorline Toyota Ashford. Service was excellent. Took me to and from work, diagnosed the problem quickly, washed the car, no charge. (out of warranty remember). Dodgy case end bearings in gearbox were suspected, £720 odd quid for a stripdown and fix. Arrgghh nightmare just before Xmas, but after some complaining they spoke to Toyopta GB for me and got the whole thing down to a slightly more manageable £500. Booked the car in, they had it over Xmas (useful to have it locked away whilst on holiday!) Picked it up and paid the bill.

Yesterday I get a call from my wife, stranded on her own on a dark road, can't find any gear apart from reverse. Green Flag turn up and straight away notice a bolt missing from gearbox to engine. Absolutely livid. £500 pounds worth of main dealer work (7.7 hours labour) on a car that shouldn't have had this problem in the first place, and the techies leave the biggest and most obvious bolt loose. Go in to Motorline today and of course no courtesy car available for a fortnight. Not happy at all. Time to complain and cause some trouble.
  s:( :( s:(    s:x :x s:x    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Slacey

Really makes you wonder sometimes...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Thats terrible! Should have thrown a right wobbly and got them to give you a demo car instead as its their fault they screwed up!

Anonymous

Quote from: "samd"Time to complain and cause some trouble.
  s:( :( s:(    s:x :x s:x    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Too right!  Staggering incompetence.

Anonymous

Complain, complain, then complain again.

Harang the dealer who carried out the work.  Copy Toyota UK into all correspondence, even c.c. BBC Watchdog if you don't believe they are taking you seriously.

Outrageously shoddy workmanship, take them to the cleaners!

GSB

Thats exactly the same problem mine had. Knackered bearings...

fortunatley though it was done under warranty at the cost of about £2k for a new 'box  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   At £500 I'd say you got off lightly, although I would think that at least a partial refund of some kind is due, since they didnt put all the bolts back in...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tags: