Q: Adjusting Hard Top Latches

Started by filcee, December 14, 2003, 18:21

filcee

Anyone know how to adjust the latches that hold the hard top in place?  My hard top squeeks and rattles like mad, especially when pressing on down 'B' roads, and I've a feeling it's because the latches aren't tight enough to prevent the top from moving/vibrating over poor road surfaces.  I didn't have this problem on my '01, which was rattle free (apart from the glove box   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Is there a limit to which they are supposed to be adjusted? I wouldn't want to overdo it and either break the latch or the post leaving myself with a semi-detached model.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

If the latches are the same on the softtop then the dealer told me they have no adjustment. I had a squeek/rattle from one of mine on my softtop and they simply lubricated it and it sorted it.

HTH

markiii

I beleive both hard and soft tops can be adjusted IIRC

open the latch and you should see a spring and an adjusting thread under the clasp. rotate until it's a little tighter and see this helps.

adjust as required.

If it's the side clasps for teh hardtop they may already be at the extremes, fear not if you remove the plastic panel around the seatbelt you shold find that HT mounting brackets are slotted, this should allow you to adjust them up or down as necesssary.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

Sorry Kris, but yes Phil, they can be adjusted  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

If you open the latch, you will see a plastic oblong shape - pull this down (it is hinged), beneath you will see a hex-shaped barrel adjuster - turn this (can't remember which way, just try it and you will work it out) to tighten the latch, each adjustment will require you to push the plastic cover back, try the latch and repeat the procedure if necessary.

Be aware that a small amount of movement can make a big adjustment, so do it bit by bit until it is OK.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Slacey

Doh!

Mark beat me to it  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  my dealer talking crap again then...   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

I'll get my coat....  s:( :( s:(

markiii

Quote from: "Slacey"Doh!

Mark beat me to it  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

yeah but you remebered th bits I couldn't be arsed to go look at. too damn cold out tonight.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Be careful not to overdo it and permanently mush the rubber seal permantly out of shame.

Slacey

Quote from: "phil4"Be careful not to overdo it and permanently mush the rubber seal permantly out of shame.
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Why would I be shamed into mushing it?

(Sorry!)

Anonymous

hehehehe... sorry for the buster'ism. shape... and m and p aren't even close.

Tem

Sometimes pics tell more than x words:  s8) 8) s8)
 m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2002/Feb/ ... adjust.htm m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

filcee

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at this at the weekend (when I get home).

I noticed that the article Tem linked talks about aging on the rubber seals.  Mine look absolutely knackered even though the car is under 5 months old.  I'm now wondering if this is contributing to the problem - fresher seals might hold the whole lot under compression a bit more efficiently.  I think I need a visit to a dealer's to get that checked.  (If I remember I'll post some pics of how bad mine are ... )
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Tem

Quote from: "filcee"Mine look absolutely knackered even though the car is under 5 months old.

Maybe you have the same fault that I did. When you close the top, the sides first go to outside of the seals and right before the top is fully closed, they snap back in. Needless to say that this kills the seals in very short time. Mine last about a year, before it broke off totally.

I got new seals under warranty and they also adjusted the top, so it wouldn't do that. And it hasn't since..
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: