Roll over bars

Started by dancarbon, June 12, 2003, 13:46

dancarbon

Hi guys

Has anyone got any experience of buying from chromdesign in Garmany or preferably experience of fitting their rollover bars:

m http://www.chromdesign.de/e3100401.htm m

I think they would look pretty cool on my black Mr.2, certainly a lot better than the bit of bent curtain rail on offer from Toyota, but I'm a bit apprehensive about shelling out £500 and finding they are a tw*t to fit.

Cheers
DC
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

You know that these are not actually structuraly safe "roll bars" but rather an aesthetic thing, often called "style bars".

Anyway, I've ordered from Chrom Design before and the delivery was quick, but the packaging was very poor, you might want to ask them to make sure they pack it up well.

As for fitting, well I'm not sure exactly which bars these are but if you post on http://www.spyderchat.com I'm sure you'll find someone who has fitted these who can tell you what's what.

--H--

Comer

They are the Postert Bars but sold by Chrom Design.  Silver MSD2 has them, over to you Dave.......
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

SteveJ

Piccies here :- http://www.mr2roadster.org/hoops/

Dave asked me to host these a while back on the Yahoo Group

SteveJ

dancarbon

Cheers guys

It's nice to see some more pics of them, they look pretty cool on the car.

As for structural rigidy, have you ever rolled one?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   No, I don't intend to either   s:D :D s:D  

DC

Anonymous

I just recieved an order from them - chromed grills for front & back bumpers.  I ordered via email (they normally want a fax) & I got them within a few days.

Anonymous

Quote from: "dancarbon"Hi guys

Has anyone got any experience of buying from chromdesign in Garmany or preferably experience of fitting their rollover bars:

No.

I got my bars from a UK Distributer & being a technical & mechanical womble i had Toyota fit mine (also for insurance purposes as i wasn't loaded if Toyota fitted them).

Quote from: "dancarbon"I think they would look pretty cool on my black Mr.2, certainly a lot better than the bit of bent curtain rail on offer from Toyota, but I'm a bit apprehensive about shelling out £500 and finding they are a tw*t to fit.

Cheers
DC

Nah, they only look good on Silver 2's     s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
If you are going & can wait till JAE you can see how mine are fitted. Also i will p/m an IT moderator as i did do a good write up on the old (rip   s:( :( s:(   ) forum....well i thought it was good.     s:D :D s:D  
If they can restore that message then it gives loads of details i found on cost, availability, fitting & my experience. If not i will try & answer your questions...but...hurry as my brain is fadeing faster than Nova brakes  s:!: :!: s:!:

dancarbon

Who did you get them from if you don't mind me asking? I can't say I've seen them anywhere in Blighty.

I'm hoping to get to JAE, but the other half keeps booking me up for social occasions! Are you going to have a MR2ROC stand or is it an informal affair?

Silver? Ahh, the new black, it'll never catch on   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I agree with having a bike for speed thrills  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  , it's the only way to fly!!

Anonymous

What other options are there for "style bars"? Preferrably hoops not the Toyota one, and even more preferred is not having to make big nasty holes in my lovely car.
Cheap is always good too.

J

Anonymous

Quote from: "dancarbon"Who did you get them from if you don't mind me asking? I can't say I've seen them anywhere in Blighty.

I'll be online for a while Sunday so will hunt down all the old info i found & then post it here.

Quote from: "dancarbon"Are you going to have a MR2ROC stand or is it an informal affair?

Both. Informal MR2ROC pitch with beer & humour.     s:D :D s:D  

Quote from: "dancarbon"Silver? Ahh, the new black, it'll never catch on   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I agree with having a bike for speed thrills  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  , it's the only way to fly!!

If you wash yours it is Silver under the muck    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
As for the bike........British GP tickets just booked for Donington camp site.More beer & fun just before JAE    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

dancarbon

Any sign of that old info Oh Silver One?

Looks like I might have to come to JAE and have a look myself!   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

I haven't forgotten you. Tonight is the first time my PC has stayed alive for more than 5 minutes    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

I will get the info this weekend (PC allowing).

I'm not usually this slow  s:!: :!: s:!:

dancarbon

m http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore/ m

It's the only solution   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I've looked over the car and I can't see how both ends of the bar can be securely fixed as it gets a bit thin about half way behind the seat so I'm quite intrigued to see how it all works. I asked chrome design how they fixed and the reply was that they just fit into existing mount points but I'm b*ggered if I can see any.

Cheers

Anonymous

To fit the roll bars you have to remove the wind deflector. The inside edge of the bars both bolt on to these mounting points. The other end of the roll bars bolt on to your seatbelt upper harness point. Only 2 things different are:

1) The original wind deflector wont refit & the Postert one is bloomin expensive.

2) You do have to cut a little bit of the plastic surround to the back of the 2.

More info soon.............      s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Here is what I have found on the old old Yahoo site:

They actually mount on to a metal plate (supplied) which then bolts
on to the seat belt housings on one side & the wind deflector
mountings in the middle. This means you can't have the standard wind
deflector fitted. One is available if you have been lucky on the
lottery. I fitted them purely for pose value & with no safety in
mind. I prefer them to the TT look as they are much thicker &
substancial but yes they do mount quite high up. Quality can't be
faulted & all the other info will follow this weekend with some pics
of the car & internal mounting points for the hoops.

Dave
Silver MSD2

--- In  e http://www.mr2roadster.org/hoops m

Dave
Silver MSD2

That's all I could find on Yahoo. If you want to go directly to Postert I have also delt with Ronald Middendorp at the following addy -  e mailto:export@postert.de">export@postert.de e

He has been very helpful & is quick to reply.

Hope this info helps & come back to me if you need more      s:D :D s:D

dancarbon

That's great thanks, the fitment looks tidier than I expected but I never realised they had the plastic cover at the bottom.

I never expected them to have any structural or safety benefits, they were only ever going to be a visual treat but I do think the car looks good with them on, certainly better than the piece of bent curtain pole Toyota are trying to sell.

It would be a shame to loose the wind deflector as it's surprisingly effective. Will have to look into a solution for that.

Thanks again.
DC

ps Your motoring tastes worringly seem to mirror my own, except my 2 is black and my 7 is green   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   Spooky!

Anonymous

Well you can buy the Postert wind deflector but it is about £160 I think  s:?: :?: s:?:  

I couldn't justify that expense when the recycled air isn't that much of a problem to me.

Similar tastes hey, so what colour is your jetski  s:?: :?: s:?:       s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

dancarbon

Quoteso what colour is your jetski  s:?: :?: s:?:       s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

s:( :( s:(   Whatever colour it is in the showroom.[/quote]

Anonymous

So what's the decision then  s:?: :?: s:?:  

Yes or no to rollbars  s:?: :?: s:?:  

Or are you waiting to have a look at JAE  s:?: :?: s:?:

dancarbon

They are on top of a growing mod-list (JAE's going to be hard work). I think they look great, I reckon the car really suits them. If I can get to JAE, and I am determined to, I will certainly be checking them out.

Unfortunately they cost £500, and I have to pay for a wedding* soon so they've slipped down the priority list like they were wrapped in dripping. Though if I forget to invite some people....  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Thanks for your help and advice with them. Very much appreciated.

DC

* I had to ask her, it's her 2 and she may have taken my toys away if I didn't ask   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Well if you dont get to JAE I might see you around on one of the Northern meets as I'm over near the Humber Bridge....not a million miles from Leeds   s:D :D s:D

dancarbon

Sounds good, was thinking we should organise a Nooorthern meet sometime.

oops, getting off-topic!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

DC

Anonymous

You'll get your legs slapped....  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Jap GT300

There is a bloke in France that makes roll bars for the 2' his name is david and hs is doing a group buy on spyderchat.

The price is £220  s:!: :!: s:!:   delivered, if you fit them yourself.  Or £290 if you want the fitted plastic parts as well.

Very cheap and well made.  I love the Euro exchange rate.

Adam

dancarbon

Cheers, they look good. Not as beefy as the other but at least they keep the deflector. I like his tubed centre console, very funky.

Tags: