Flat spot whilst slowing down

Started by Anonymous, December 16, 2003, 12:14

Anonymous

I don't know if anyone's experienced this before, but recenty my '02 MR2 is acting strangely in deceleration.  Whilst slowing down for traffic on the motorway without using brakes, I've noticed that my car "hangs" at about 65-70 mph before continuing to slow down.  Although it's for a very short period, it is nevertheless noticeable.  It is as if the ECU system is changing from a high speed engine programme to a low speed programme.

Is it me or is this normal?

Mart

Anonymous

Try dipping the clutch and seeing if the revs drop or not.

Slacey

No problems like that with mine... not heard of that affecting our cars before, either  s:? :? s:?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

slowing down !   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   You dont need to do that in a 2

But i must say that when after driving for long periods of time on a  motorway then the car dose act slitghy strange around town but i think that it's just getting its breath back   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

mph

The more I think about this the more confused I get.

There will be a change in deceleration at the point the cam profiles change, but I'm undecided what all the side effects are.

s:idea: :idea: s:idea:  You're moving from a point of more cross-over duration of valves being open to less so my thinking is that there should be an increase in deceleration. However that same thinking (that air could be being drawn from the exhaust side as the throttle body is closed) could mean a marginal increase in total air volume, and possibly fuel mixture if we think you're in closed loop. At the cross-over point, you could then be running slightly lean until the O2s catch up, but in between that time, you'd have a slightly stronger power stroke and so a slightly less deceleration effect, but then it'd be more than before as there's less/no overlap of valves.  
 s:!: :!: s:!:  nonsense-quotient = high

Feel free to laugh!
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"Feel free to laugh!

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

(only laughing as i didnt understand a word of it   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  )

Anonymous

Could this be aerodynamic ? Some parasitic drag effect of vortex swirls at a certain air speed ?

What difference does gear (3rd/4th/5th) make to this step speed ?

s:!: :!: s:!:  nonsense-quotient = extreme

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"slowing down !   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   You dont need to do that in a 2

But i must say that when after driving for long periods of time on a  motorway then the car dose act slitghy strange around town but i think that it's just getting its breath back   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Hey dave, remember you have 5 gears - I have six.  I think my baby takes a little longer to get its breath back.

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "mph"Feel free to laugh!

(only laughing as i didnt understand a word of it   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  )

OMG!  That was incredible!

kanujunkie

Do you reckon he's completly fluent in Bull S***
  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: