Windscreen Chips

Started by rtbiscuit, October 1, 2007, 21:29

rtbiscuit

Right guys this is more an informal notice to make people aware of the current situation with stone chips and insurance companies.

i have had a stone chip since i bought the car nearly a year ago. and i recently had it repaired.

i drve into the carpark on another chore and saw one of these windscreen repair blokes, offering free repairs.

anyways i got chatting to the bloke as he fixed my car and it works out that the insurance companies actually pay now, as they would rather pay £30 for a chip to be repaired than £500 for a new windscreen.

the break down is that there is only 8 underwriters that don't pay up front, at all, and another 8 that make you pay, and then you bill them, these tend to be your admirals and elephant groups.

anyways it cost me nothing, and they did a very good job, and as winter is approaching i thought i might be pushing my luck for 2 years on the trot.

so if you have a crack, give any of them a ring, cos they will also come out and do it for free at your own home or place of work, and they can tell you which insurance companies have you covered or not.

the reason i mention is that my insurance policy doesn't say i'm covered, yet i still got it free.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Liz

They are good - however, my crack is starting to reappear - but it got me through an MOT - be prepared for paperwork fo omyour insurance company though - had me well confused talking about my claim!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

rtbiscuit

cheers liz,

will check when i'm next home   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

must admit the bloke i spoke to was an independent on a franchise, and i asked him about autoglass, he didn't speak that highly, he was talking about their system they use, when it works it works well, when it doesn't its abit poo.

they refuse to use anything else because they spent millions developing this new product.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

northernalex

Got a replacement windscreen through admiral - only paid my excess up front (£50).

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

uktotty

I had the repair done on my saab and it was very good and lasted untill I exploded the engine, the Windscreen went on my Jaguar and the replacement was £1137.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heathstimpson

Quote from: "uktotty"I had the repair done on my saab and it was very good and lasted untill I exploded the engine, the Windscreen went on my Jaguar and the replacement was £1137.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Don't say that as I have to have my Jag done soon  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: