SP Sports Exhaust Fitted - Engine Mangement Light Now On.

Started by garethrees, October 2, 2007, 19:37

garethrees

Hello,

I've searched around so please forgive me if this is a repost, and point me to the correct search.

Otherwise here is a summary of the issue.

On the weekend I got a SP Sports Exhaust (Full Decat) system put on to my 2002 MR2 Roadster.  

On the day everything was great! a few days later the orange Engine Management light has come on. There is no loss of power or any other clues as to what this may be.

Contacted Matt who fitted the Exhaust and he informed me that this is most likly the 3rd Post Cat O2 sensor and that _my_ car may need a special sensor with a resistor or something.

Now being completly new to this, I've hunted about and no realy found much, but it does make sense since the 3rd O2 sensor is monitoring the cat which is not there anymore.

My question is... can anyone in the same situation as myself make a recommendation as to which O2 sensor I can buy and fit?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards Gareth
Cheers Gaz
---------------
Hers - 02 UK MR2 Roadster - SP Sports Exhaust, PPE Engineering Sports Cat, Black DOTZ Alloys, Kenwood Double DIN ICE.  SOLD
His - 03 Honda S2000 Silverstone - Stock
His - 96 UK Supra TT Storm Blue (6spd Manual) Stock - SOLD

DannyN

I think the resistor fix your after will be available at the ROC autumn meet at the weekend

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18402 m
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Liz

If it is a P0141 code then the fix will work.

Welcome to the club BTW - but it is apparent you have been reading alot if not posting!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

roger

This might also be useful reading. You ought to make sure that the CEL does relate to the 3rd sensor. If its anything else you could be doing damage. You need to get the code read for that.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

spit

My money would be on you needing an antifouler/O2 conditioner/whatever you wanna call it, but Roger is wise in saying "get the code read".

If you're free on Saturday, bimble over to the meet in Wrexham and we'll have a look for you. Someone will have a code reader handy and someone else may even have a spare antifouler kicking about too?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

garethrees

Thanks everyone, I'm glad to be here Matt told me that this was the place to come for good advice.

I'd love to come to Wrexham but I'm busy this weekend.  I'll take the MR2 down to my local Toyota who I assume will be able to give me a reading?

If it is a P0141 code then I'll see about getting one from somewhere, is it easy to fit by any chance?
Cheers Gaz
---------------
Hers - 02 UK MR2 Roadster - SP Sports Exhaust, PPE Engineering Sports Cat, Black DOTZ Alloys, Kenwood Double DIN ICE.  SOLD

kanujunkie

save yourself a few quid and dont go to Mr.T for a code reading as they'll charge you a fortune, especially as its cheaper to buy a reader off ebay
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

spit

Good point Stu - much better you take the plunge and get your own. BUT Don't bother if you're J-Spec MR-S - it won't work

Pending code confirmation of course   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  :

If its a 3rd O2 heater circuit failure (P0141), replacement or resistor "fix" (grafting a resistor in where the now duff heater circuit is) are both easily DIY'able.

If it requires an antifouler, that too is DIY'able.

Worth getting yourself an O2 sensor removal tool - not essential for the 3rd O2 but always handy to have.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

If it were me, and presuming you're relatively near SP, I'd be taking the car back to them and get them to fix it rather than doing it myself. You've paid good money for that set-up, so take it back and get them to sort it properly.

Peter Wright

Quote from: "Ekona"If it were me, and presuming you're relatively near SP, I'd be taking the car back to them and get them to fix it rather than doing it myself. You've paid good money for that set-up, so take it back and get them to sort it properly.
too bloody true
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

garethrees

Quote from: "Ekona"If it were me, and presuming you're relatively near SP, I'd be taking the car back to them and get them to fix it rather than doing it myself. You've paid good money for that set-up, so take it back and get them to sort it properly.

Thanks for that, that was my first thought, but wanted to get some advice first and understand the issues etc. So that I am well informed and know what I'm talking about before I call Matt back.

I don't mind paying for and extra O2 resistor or whatever but I did not really fancy the drive back up to SP for a 10 min job.

So... the CEL reader thingy is it one of these:
Ebay Link

Thanks again everyone! This has been a great learning experience!!
Cheers Gaz
---------------

evileye_wrx

I got an anti fouler on ebay for about 7 quid. it solved the cel I had from putting in the downpipe, which is presumably the problem if you've just had one fitted.

Of course you should still get it read with an obd2 reader to make sure it isn't something else.
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

roger

Quote from: "garethrees"So... the CEL reader thingy is it one of these:
Ebay Link

Not quite what mine looks like, but is the thingy.
Roger

Peter Wright

Why dont you reset the ECU and see if it comes on again it might be the ECU wants to learn the new settings
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Liz

Quote from: "evileye_xc"I got an anti fouler on ebay for about 7 quid. it solved the cel I had from putting in the downpipe, which is presumably the problem if you've just had one fitted.

Of course you should still get it read with an obd2 reader to make sure it isn't something else.

It should come with an anti-fouler - I believe that mine did as SP were aware of this problem..
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "Liz"SP were aware of this problem..

Perhaps they've forgotten. Or maybe it isn't D/P related after all
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

garethrees

Quote from: "Peter Wright"Why dont you reset the ECU and see if it comes on again it might be the ECU wants to learn the new settings

Thanks I will try that, just wanted to get a reading first.  Cheers G
Cheers Gaz
---------------

garethrees

Quote from: "Liz"It should come with an anti-fouler - I believe that mine did as SP were aware of this problem..

I think Matt said something about a spacer or something, which negates the need for an anti-fouler.  But I read somewhere else that the spacer needs to be bigger to cope with a SP system.  Keep you posted. Thanks again for all the adivce. Cheers G
Cheers Gaz
---------------

garethrees

My Reader is lost in the postal dispute. So I asked MrT who kindly gave me a reading of P0420 Bank 1 or something. Now I just need to google a bit more and look up that code.  s:) :) s:)
Cheers Gaz
---------------

roger

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12480

What that is doing is recognising there is no cat. So at least you have nothing else wrong to worry about.
Roger

philster_d

The damage to o2 sensors seems to always happen when swapping the exhaust. If I were doing the job again, I would remove them very first thing  before any banging of the exhaust pipe etc.

aaronjb

Quote from: "philster_d"The damage to o2 sensors seems to always happen when swapping the exhaust. If I were doing the job again, I would remove them very first thing  before any banging of the exhaust pipe etc.

P0420 isn't damage to the O2 sensor, it's the fact that there is no longer a CAT in the exhaust.. the O2 sensor is almost certainly working just fine - I'd put good money on that.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

dubs

i had a new exhaust fitted a few weeks back and my engine management light came on straight almost straight away too-it was then diagnosed with a sensor fault but it turned out after further investigation to be that the idiots just hadn't fitted the exhaust properly and that gases escaping out were causing the o2 sensor code to trigger-even though they were working fine.  Your case sounds very similar, my advice to you would be to get that checked out first before you do anything else.  good luck
MR2 ROADSTER - RED - HARDTOP - BLACK LEATHER - TTE TURBO - TTE SPRINGS - TTE EXHAUST - MARKiii PIPE - TOYOTA GB BODYKIT - TOYOTA GB LIP SPOILER- DEV\'S KEYHOLES - KENWOOD DDX 6029 - IN PHASE COMPONENTS - KENWOOD BLUETOOTH - KENWOOD iPOD INTERFACE - ALPINE SWD 1600 ACTIVE SUB - 17" SP12 ALLOYS

philster_d

Yes I know Aaron I was commenting on the discussions further above.

Just saying take them out before doing the job.   s:) :) s:)

garethrees

Thanks everyone for the advice, Spoken to Matt and he is looking into the problem, when we have a solution I will post an update.  I'm also going to try the reset just in case that works in the mean time.  Thanks again your have all be very helpful.   s:D :D s:D
Cheers Gaz
---------------

Tags: