Power Steering Problem

Started by Anonymous, December 19, 2003, 15:34

Anonymous

I've had my 2000 MRS (Jap Import) for around 6 months now, it has 15k on the clock and yesterday the P/S light came on and I lost all power steering.  I just got back from the local Toyota dealer who plugged it in and they tell me that they got 2 faults - either the Power steering control motor or the something else related to it.  - Does this sound likely or are they trying to take me for a ride or is their diagnosis unit only useful for UK spec cars? - it sounds as though everyone else has just had problems with the relay or the fuse.  

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had the some problems.  
Thanks
ps its actually quite good with no power steering!

markiii

impressive, as normally dealers can't read the ecu on J-spec cars
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

hmmm... that sounds distinctly dodgy then - Bill Allen in Cheltenham - don't suppose there's any other MRS owners who have used them?

markiii

doesn't sound an unrealistic diagnosis, just sceptical of the way they arrived at it.

I don't beleive theres a n error code that relates to this anyway as the diagnostics computer is only really of use for engine and ecu related issues.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Well, they said that's what the 'puter was telling them but they'd need to spend 2-3 hours looking at it to properly diagnose the problem.  It's sounding expensive and I'm not sure whether to trust them now...do you have any recommendations on where to go in West Mids / South West for a 2nd opinion?

markiii

(You'll probably tell me this is your dealer now  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  )

but a friend with a MK2 has always had good experiences with Westlands in Brierly Hill, Dudley.

However as you've no warranty to worry about I'd look for a good independant with MR2 experience. Unfortuantley most of us haven't much experience in this as were still mostly under warranty, but if you don't get much response I'd ask on IMOC as someone there no doubt will.

Anonymous

I will - thanks.

Tags: