'2 damaged, got to decide next move...

Started by Anonymous, November 6, 2007, 13:55

mr2jw

just to clear it up, you haven't cancelled your policy but have removed the mr2 from your multi car policy ? is this correct?

(as chris said above!)
black 2000 roadster | devs keyhole covers | devs tbl visor | pre-cats removed | crystal side repeaters with chrome surrounds | lt short antenna | jdm front badge | jdm wheel centres | mr2roc sticker |
and lots more to do!

Anonymous

Wow, that's a lot to take in!

If you are correct, I wouldn't have lost the NCB on my other cars if I had made a claim on the MR2!!!  I wasn't aware of that (as you have probably guessed from my original assumptions) and the possibility didn't even cross my mind.  It also means that if I buy another car and take a new policy out, that policy will have 0 NCB...  It doesn't sound right (or fair) but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

I think I need some clarifications from my insurers although it's too late since the MR2 insurance is now cancelled.

Good responses, glad I asked.  One thing I am certain about at this stage is this accident has cost me a lot of money, if nothing else.

Edit: Guys, it's not a multicar policy although they are with the same insurer!  I have 3 NCB on all cars and I thought I would lose 1 on all of them if I made a claim.  Wabbit's post came as a surprise to my ignorance on the matter.

However, I just realised that if I end up repairing it myself (and not sell it), I could add it to an existing policy and continue with the NCB of the existing policy...

mr2jw

ok, thanks for clarifying.

isn't it cheaper to get a multicar policy though? as the insurer understands that you cannot be driving 3 cars at once each "premium" is cheaper than 3 individul policies? (although they could still be stolen, damaged etc)

i might be wrong on this.
black 2000 roadster | devs keyhole covers | devs tbl visor | pre-cats removed | crystal side repeaters with chrome surrounds | lt short antenna | jdm front badge | jdm wheel centres | mr2roc sticker |
and lots more to do!

Anonymous

You may very well be correct.  

I guess it's one of those things; you have your policy for a number of years, you like your insurer and you just renew.  Not the best practice, I must admit.

Wabbitkilla

Multicar policies don't always work out - ask Ste!

You just need to check with your broker and price up the different options.
It's always worth discussing with a broker, you never know what they can save you, after all they're not just interested in taking your money this year, they want to keep you as a reliable return customer.

That's the thing we now miss with all these online brokers, they're very rigid in what they will talk about and what deals they can come up with. A good personal broker will always work with you to get the best deal.

Good luck mate, at the worst it'll cost you to repair the car and 1 years NCB for the MR. At best you can add it to one of the other policies after it is repaired. All around it seems a bit of a loss the way you've done it, but we're not perfect and we learn from our mistakes.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

I spoke to the garage where my car is held about recovering it back to my house.  The owner of the garage asked me what I was going to do with the vehicle; I said I couldn't afford the repairs and was going to keep it until I make a decision but I would gladly take his advice.

To my surprise, he asked me how much I thought the car was worth prior to the accident (I said £7k, which I think it's about right).  He said he could ask around if anyone was interested in buying it as is.

An hour later I received a call from a breaker who, apparently, had seen the car.  He offered me £2400 plus the recovery cost (I hadn't paid the garage yet for recovering the car from the incident to their premises - £100).

mr2jw

i take it you wont be snapping his hand off!
and lots more to do!

Chris_h

I think he is aving a larf (as they say down sarf I believe).

He clearly wants it, but need to negotiate hard!

Sheds on Ebay with lots of damage fetch much more
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Mad Bob

Would you not get more from parts. I don't know how severe the damage is, but there are always people after engines (due to precat failure) as well as panels etc. I would think the roof alone is worth a couple of bob.
Converse Boot!

Anonymous

There was one on ebay about a week back for £2500 and nobody bid on it!! Haven't seen anymore before or since!! There's loads of Mr2 on ebay for sale that are ok for about £5500.

Anonymous

What's the numberplate on your car, just out of interest?

Anonymous

Guys, having looked on ebay and Autotrader how much a car of that age can fetch (I wasn't wrong on the £7k, perhaps £8k with much luck), I thought the breaker's offer is not bad so I agreed.

So, unless the breaker backs down, it looks like this is the end of MR2 Roadster ownership for me.  After 5 years of absolute enjoyment, what a sad ending this was.

Wabbitkilla

To accept that, I'm thinking the 2 was a bit more damaged than you're letting on. Glad you survived it, but exactly what was the damage, and what's the reg no. ?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Anonymous

The price is on par with what zaf786 paid for his damaged '2 and I must admit his post influenced me.

As for the reg number, would it be odd if I asked why the significance?

Anonymous

To make sure that anyone else who buys it knows what they're letting themselves in for, in case it comes via a third party and not you directly. After the hassle that Lynne went through on here, i don't want anyone else to go through that.  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

A valid reason indeed.

I hope you understand, I can't give out the reg number while the car is still under my ownership - I guess, for the same reasons as other members edit their number plates from pics, etc.

If I'm honest, for a minute I thought the conspiracy theories were about to start; this was a genuine post.

Anonymous

I don't believe for one minute it wasn't, but considering the car obviously has serious damage and isn't drivable again without serious work, I don't actually see any harm in posting the reg up now. Or are you actually just going to give it a quick bodge job and flog it on to whoever you can? You've been on here long enough for me to know that you're a much better person than that, but after what happened to Lynne I'd rather you think that I'm a complete a**hole than someone else buy a lemon again.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"Or are you actually just going to give it a quick bodge job and flog it on to whoever you can? You've been on here long enough for me to know that you're a much better person than that, but after what happened to Lynne I'd rather you think that I'm a complete a**hole than someone else buy a lemon again.
That is an unfair assumption.  I haven't tried to sell anything to anyone and, as per the original post, none of the options I was considering was "fix it on the cheap and pass it on".  On the contrary, pricing up the parts against breakers was an option suggested to me rather than my original thinking.

I am not trying to be difficult, it's just that I still own the car and, like most other members, I would rather not give the reg out to a public forum; the breaker's offer is not concrete yet and the option to keep it still stands.  I think that's reasonably justified.  If you ask me the day after tomorrow, you might get a different answer.

Chris_h

if it helps with your decision, I think 8k is way over optimistic for an 02 (unless it has HT and vv low miles + factory body kit etc+ - even then it is dealer price)

The thing about the expensive 02 ones on autotrader is that they don't sell - or for much much less. Base a pre crash price at around £7.

Damage must have been bad for you ta accept £2.5k, but I guess you know what is best and need to balance the stress etc. But even as a breaker - engine, leather interior, power steering pump, bumper for enid  s:) :) s:)  etc - soon adds up

Good luck!
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

Thanks Chris.

You are absolutely correct and I am in no doubt that I would have made a lot more money had I broken the car myself.  That was a good option but I'm not a breaker and removing the engine sounds both complex and expensive.  Perhaps I was, yet again, wrong.

I have asked for a list with the parts that need replacing which I will get when I go to collect my personal items from the car.  I'm also hoping to take some pics.

7 quid for an 02 sounds a bit cheap though  s:P :P s:P

Edit: As for the decision to accept the offer, it was based on how much zaf786 bought his for (and, according to his description, it did not have mechanical damage, as opposed to mine) and how much it would honestly worth if it was repaired.  £4k for the repair and a value of around £5.5k after...  

I still think the breaker's offer was fair considering the repair quote and the value after the repair.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Emmanuel"That is an unfair assumption.  I haven't tried to sell anything to anyone and, as per the original post, none of the options I was considering was "fix it on the cheap and pass it on".  On the contrary, pricing up the parts against breakers was an option suggested to me rather than my original thinking.

I am not trying to be difficult, it's just that I still own the car and, like most other members, I would rather not give the reg out to a public forum; the breaker's offer is not concrete yet and the option to keep it still stands.  I think that's reasonably justified.  If you ask me the day after tomorrow, you might get a different answer.

I was trying to be as honest as possible without it coming off like I was straight out attacking you., so I'm sorry if I got the balance wrong. I'll post up Friday and see what the answer is.  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

No worries, I was not offended.  I'm both an old member (probably one of the oldest!) to the club and old enough to know better.

I'm just not in the mood for conspiracy theories (you know the type: "oh, he's not giving out his reg, he must be hiding something") or false accusations right now; I have much more important things to think about.

Anonymous

this might be totally out there but if its just mainly body parts why not do this?http://www.kitcargrp.co.uk/

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Wabbitkilla

Sorry about the misunderstanding E, I know you've enjoyed the car for quite a while and it's a shame to see it go. I can fully understand your reasons for not publishing the reg just now, so I apologise for asking.

I look forward to seeing what you decide to do - either way.

zaf786

hi again

I think that once you have worked out what parts you need and how much they will cost, rather than sell it to the breaker, put on this site or eBay with a reserve price and see how much it will go for rather than selling at a low price.

Assuming you have service history etc, the car should still fetch near the 3000 pound mark as i got mine quite cheap because i picked it up from a local auction where there weren't many people bidding. obviously the breaker is trying to make the most money out of your car as possible so if you do decide to get rid of it take into consideration that there are a lot of people out there that are looking for damaged mr2's to do projects on (kit cars or just repair them) so you might actually get more than what you are being offered.

For what its worth I've seen cars in salvage yards with a lot of panel damaged and some mechanical damage actually being sold for 3000 pounds plus, so i wouldn't give into a low price yet until you have considered other options of selling, a plus point for your car that it isn't going to be recorded as a category D or C because you haven't gone through insurance so you could get more salvage value for it as it is unrecorded.

hope this helps

Tags: