'2 damaged, got to decide next move...

Started by Anonymous, November 6, 2007, 13:55

Anonymous

I've been thinking about it all night and I just couldn't get my head around the numbers had I sold it for £500 more.  The numbers just don't add up.

If the car was worth £7k prior to the accident* and if the damaged parts cost £3k and the total repair cost came to £4k, who would buy it for £3000?  I certainly wouldn't as I would be buying a damaged car which, after having it repaired, would have cost me the same price as a non-damaged.  As a matter of fact, if one is honest about the car's history after the repair, it would/should cost less than a non-damaged car.

Of course, there is the option of sourcing second hand parts, but even so, I doubt it would cost less than £2k to repair.

There are, however, a number of variables that I haven't taken into account; the most important being the fact that I only had one quote.  I didn't really have much choice on this as getting it to garages for quotes is beyond economic justification.

Nevertheless, breaking it myself still makes financial sense and it's probably what I will do if the breaker backs down.  That would certainly make Enid happy   s:D :D s:D   I have the distinct feeling that's what the breaker intends to do as well...

Then again, there's every possibility that I might just be talking rubbish due to lack of sleep.

* I think we all agree with that - 52 plate, ~£44k miles, one owner, well looked after/garaged, no A/C or H/T, leather interior.

Mad Bob

s:( :( s:(   I really wanted some red leather seats and door cards. Shame.
Converse Boot!

Wabbitkilla

I always wonder when dealing with garages.

I know they'll get the parts and labour cheaper than what they'll show to us, so it makes it more viable for them to repair a car for themselves than for a customer. I know for myself i'd rather get a vehicle fixed or written off and face a 10% increase in the next premium rather than take a £3k - £3.5k hit in the pocket.

But that decision isn't possible now and you need to make the best decision for yourself in the circumstances. Remember you're probably paying for storage of the vehicle at the garage too - they don't just charge for the recovery.

Good luck
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

cdrskull

I know what I would do with it !
DNA 3Sixty Conversion
www.dnaoc.co.uk - Owners Club
www.bluepc.co.uk - Bolton PC Repairs (my new venture)

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "cdrskull"I know what I would do with it !

Heh - would be an ideal donor, wouldn't it  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "Emmanuel"To cut a long story short, the accident happened last Thursday on a 50-mile road in Crowthorne that I know really-really well.  Working late, very tired, pitch black, lost control of the car around a bend.............
The options I am contemplating are:
- Keep it off road and fix it at a later day
- Sell it to a breaker (can I do that?)
- Scrap it

What would you guys do?

Really sorry to hear about your accident and glad you are ok... again!

So what happened to that nice car after 7 months?

Did you repair it? Sold it to that breaker?

Never came back to say anything...

Cheers, Eva

Tags: