Please help: RIM & Tyres

Started by Anonymous, December 22, 2003, 09:31

Anonymous

Hi all,

I just bought a 2nd hand spyder and need some help on rims and tyres.

From Toyota website, the official RIM and tyre spectification should be:
Default RIM specification should be:
Front => 15 x 6.0 + 45
Rear =>  15 x 6.5 + 45

Standard Tyre specification should be:
Front => 185/55-15
Rear  => 205/50-15

I checked my spyder and found out that the RIM is spyder default from Toyota but the tyres are different and cheap:
Front tyre => 195/55-15
Rear tyre => 195/55-15
Since the car is 2nd hand, I wonder if the front and rear RIMs are actually mixed up, or even all RIMS are with front spec or rear spec.

I want to change all tyres but I have the following questions:
1) How can I check if my existing RIMs (front and rear) are "15x6.0+45" or "15x6.5+45"?
2) Any problem if I change the rear tyre back to 205/50-15 even the back RIM is 15x6.0+45?  
3) Can anyone point out URL that can explain what "15x6.0+45" means?

Thanks alot!!

Kevin   s:D :D s:D

Slacey

Quote from: "chhokevin"I want to change all tyres but I have the following questions:
1) How can I check if my existing RIMs (front and rear) are "15x6.0+45" or "15x6.5+45"?
2) Any problem if I change the rear tyre back to 205/50-15 even the back RIM is 15x6.0+45?  
3) Can anyone point out URL that can explain what "15x6.0+45" means?

OK, question 1 - I think they are marked somewhere on the visible surface of the wheel somewhere, but as I'm not running stock rims I can't check - you may have to remove the wheel, it is sometimed stamped on the back - another way to check (providing it hasn't been removed) is to again remove the wheel - the rears should have a peg sticking out that prevents fitment on the front hub.

2 - Changing the rear back to a 205 wouldn't be a problem on a 6" rim, but I will be VERY surprised if there aren't 2 x 6" and 2 x 6.5" on the car somewhere!

3 - Wheel measurements work thus: first number is the wheel size (15", 16", 17" etc.), second is the wheel width (6, 6.5 or in my case 7), and the third is the 'offset' - this can get quite complicated, try Google searching 'wheel offset explained'
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Slacey

Just had a quick search and found this -  m http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/techce ... ticle.html m

There will be better articles than this, but that should explain most of what you need to know.

markiii

Sean pretty much summised it nicely.

Look on the inside of the wheel and teh offset should be stamped there.

the 6.5 for teh rears has the peg so it can't fit on teh front.

change those tyres quick though. 195 on the back is going to make tehcar oversteer quite badly. be very careful until you have changed them, or teh car will bite you. don't want to right it off just yet.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

The rear wheels have a small peg that sticks out to prevent fitment to the front axle, however, this peg can be removed, so you may have a small hole there instead.

Alternative check:

Get a tape measure and put it through the spokes of the wheels to measure form one side of the rim to the other. The rears should be half an inch wider that the fronts.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Really Thanks.

Let me study the link and check.  Need some time to digiest the information.  

Thanks again

Kevin   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

"but I will be VERY surprised if there aren't 2 x 6" and 2 x 6.5" on the car somewhere! "

2nd car shop or pre-owner will usually removed the modified parts to sell separately and install back original default to the car.

I just afraid that the 2nd car selling shop just randomly pick 4 RIMS from salvage garage and install back to MR-S to sell.  

s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Slacey

Quote from: "chhokevin"I just afraid that the 2nd car selling shop just randomly pick 4 RIMS from salvage garage and install back to MR-S to sell.
Hmm... possible, but I wouldn't worry until you have checked. Let us know how you get on.

Anonymous

Hi Slacy,

I measured the width of the RIMS (use same referenace point) and find that the rear RIMS is about half inch wider than the front one.  So I guest all the RIMs are correct.    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Any recomendation on the tyre configuration if I continue to use these sets of RIMS (I don't have $$ to buy another set of RIMS  s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(  )?  Should I follow the Toyota Default (ie 185/55/15 for the front and 205/50/15 for the rear)?
Or .....

I want to use Advan AD07 tyre as well.  Any comment?

Thanks!!!

Kevin

Slacey

I'd stick with the stock tyre measurements TBH... can't comment on the Advan's, but someone here will know I expect.

Anonymous

Various comments on tyres here: http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=834

Tags: