Wind noise

Started by Anonymous, December 22, 2003, 17:28

Anonymous

Anyone experienced a kind of whistling noise from the front of the MR2 roadster??  Only happens 70+ mph on cold clear days (presumably because the air is thinner i guess)

any thoughts on sorting this would be appreciated..

Slacey

s:? :? s:?  Can't say I have noticed anything, but my audio is usually drowning out any other noise! I will try and have a listen over the next couple of mornings and let you know if I get the same.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

filcee

I had a whistle on my old '01 model.  It seemed to be coming from just above the driver's side roof clip.  I put it down to the fact that over a couple of years the seals get compressed leaving small gaps for the air to get through.  It was most noticeable at higher speeds or when driving into a strong headwind.

This thread

http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=1851

has a link to Spyder magazine with info on how to adjust the latches.  (I still need to do mine on the hardtop).  It may be helpful.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Just had a "wind noise" fixed in my focus.  Turns out the flipping windscreen fitting was slightly off!.  You haven't had a new one recently have you?

Anonymous

I've previously posted this in another topic, but I think your noise is probably more similar to mine than Bigun's

m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=1890 m

Mine doesn't seem to be a wind noise coming from the roof, but it's definitely speed related (even in neutral at 70mph+). I did have a new windscreen about 6months ago though..

I thought it might be wind at first(!)  s:oops: :oops: s:oops: , but it seems to go too low for that, as I slow down to about 50mph the sound is quite a bit deeper.

Does your noise sound the same? I'm just hoping that it's going to get louder before my 50k service, so the garage can't say that they haven't heard it!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Tim

Anonymous

Put it like this, my focus sounded like the two with the roof down at 70mph, which is unusual as the focus is normally a very quiet motorway car.

They basically found that the windscreen was not fitted correctly in the seal.  All done under warrenty and all is now quiet again.  If you have had a new screen it may be worth checking this.

Anonymous

cheers for the advice, glad you got the focus sorted!

I've just listened to it again this lunchtime, and the noise is definitely audible at even 30mph - it's almost like a kind of grinding noise, so I'm verging towards something mechanical rather than wind now.

If it ever stops raining, I'll jack up the front and see if I can feel/hear anything wrong with the wheel bearings.

Tim

Anonymous

Think there was a post recently about a twig stuck on the undercaridge.  Check there and for leaves in the grills.

Tags: