Points and insurance

Started by Peter Laborne, December 22, 2003, 22:30

Peter Laborne

Taken from: [GB] GPS / Laser Detector Group Buy

Quote from: "aaronjb"considering they reckon 3 points on your licence is supposed to mean a £200+ increase in insurance for the average Joe next year

I'm not sure about this. I have 5 points on my license and my premium has been going down.

Most insurance companies now realise that a hell of a lot of people have points on their license as it is increasingly easy to pick them up with the number of "safety" cameras increasing. IIRC some insurers don't put a premium up by much if you have less than 6 points.

However, if you are unlucky, you could find a big jump in your premium. But it all comes down to shopping around. I was with Admiral, but switched to Elephant (who are, in reality, Admiral online!!!) and saved a load of money. The fact that I had points didn't alter my premium one iota.

One thing to look at is putting yourself down as being able to drive any vehicle (although third party). I needed to do this so that I could drive my g/f's car as and when needed. I thought that it would raise my insurance quote as not only would I be insured on my car but also my g/f's. However it actually lowered my premium as they see it as if I am driving my g/f's car then I am not driving mine.

Anonymous

I think you have to take the quote with a pinch of salt.  After all it comes from a company trying to sell devices that should stop you getting points.  

The other possiblity is that this is next year's expected behaviour.  Nothing surprises me as far as that goes.

Besides, as all our ages, experience, history and therefore premium varies, I doubt you can put a fixed cost on points.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"One thing to look at is putting yourself down as being able to drive any vehicle (although third party).

Is this not a fairly standard part of a comprehensive policy? It certainly has been on the various ones I've ever had. Perhaps this is yet another way in which insurance co's are trying to screw us, by gradually stripping out less 'obvious' elements of cover   s:? :? s:?

zud

When i got my last SP30 the copper said it wouldn't make any difference to the insurance premium if it was the only one (which it was).  But Direct Line said it would make a difference at the next renewal when i reported it to them.  I think it was a fairly new thing for them... that was about 3 years ago
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "phil4"The other possiblity is that this is next year's expected behaviour.  Nothing surprises me as far as that goes.

It's been said for many, many years, even before I got points, and way before I got a detector.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "pmdye"
Quote from: "Peter Laborne"One thing to look at is putting yourself down as being able to drive any vehicle (although third party).

Is this not a fairly standard part of a comprehensive policy?

This is something which catches loads of people out. In actual fact very few policies offer the ability to drive another persons vehicle just like that (so few that I have never found one!!!). You must state that you want to drive other vehicles when taking out the policy.

Just so that you can double-check. The information you need to look for will be on your Certificate of Motor Insurance. It is not small-print, it will be in the main body somewhere and worded like this (mine appears within the "Persons or classes of persons entitled to drive" section):
"The Policyholder may also drive, with the consent of the owner, a private motor car not belongine to him and not hired to him under a Hire Purchase Agreement."

There will be small print which states "The driving of other cars extension is not included unless specified above"

Anonymous

Mine says that... didn't ask for it specially.  Eagle Star aka Zurich FWIW.

Slacey

Mine also, I didn't ask for it either.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

aaronjb

And mine, and I didn't ask for it.. Only started getting it once I hit 25, though (other than Highway, who offer it to anyone) - I'm with Bell Direct now (also Admiral, I believe)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

It could be an age thing.  Kerstie is 24 and has never had this facility.  I passed my test last year just before my 30th birthday.  I tool my own insurance a month after my 30th and it was included on me automatically.

Kerstie will be 25 before her next renewal so we shall see if it gets tacked onto her policy.

Anonymous

Regardless of the extent of your own policy cover most Insurers include an extension for THIRD PARTY only automatically. However, some Companies impose a minimum age limit of 25 (eg aaronjb)

There is no hard and fast rules regarding extra premiums following speeding convictions. It all depends on which year of insurance they occured in, the number of points and sometimes even the level of the fine.

Anonymous

Quote from: "zud"When i got my last SP30 the copper said it wouldn't make any difference to the insurance premium if it was the only one (which it was).  But Direct Line said it would make a difference at the next renewal when i reported it to them.  I think it was a fairly new thing for them... that was about 3 years ago

Yep.. my first 3 points about a year and half ago now.. £60 fine, and then Direct line put my premium up by £60!

Still, there are benefits to reaching 30.. been paying around £620 for the last 3 years.. next year's renewal is under £400! woo hoo!

And I'm sure I have the 3rd party cover on anyone else's car with their permission too, although I've never specifically asked for it. Better check that document tonight!

aaronjb

The only trouble with TP cover on any car is that (personally) I find driving the other car rather nerve wracking  s:) :) s:)  (Given that if I hit anything, I'd end up with a rather large bill and/or a very angry friend/relative)..  s:) :) s:)

Mind you, I don't trust anyone enough to lend my '2 to  s:D :D s:D
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Laborne""The Policyholder may also drive, with the consent of the owner, a private motor car not belongine to him and not hired to him under a Hire Purchase Agreement."

I don't have my cert here, but I'm 99.999% sure this is on mine, and always (as far back as I can remember) has been.

Anonymous

Mine was given automatically as I stated - not bad for someone who had passed their test a month previous.

Anyway, I asked them about it and they said that the cover of TP for other cars is meant to be for "emergency" uses only, and NOT for regular driving.  (especially if you think that the average named driver is around £30 extra on policy).

With this in mind, remember that if they get funny and decide to investigate and find that you have been driving you partners vehichle loads under the TP cover, you may find that they use this to refuse to pay out.

Slippery suckers aint they!

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"Anyway, I asked them about it and they said that the cover of TP for other cars is meant to be for "emergency" uses only, and NOT for regular driving.  (especially if you think that the average named driver is around £30 extra on policy).

With this in mind, remember that if they get funny and decide to investigate and find that you have been driving you partners vehichle loads under the TP cover, you may find that they use this to refuse to pay out.

Slippery suckers aint they!

I'd love to see them try.  There's nothing to even hint at this in the written stuff I have, and as such I doubt they'd stand any chance of voiding the insurance.

However I wouldn't want to drive around in someone elses car on TP only insurance for very long.  Named drivers may cost £30 but at least they extend the cover to fully comp on the car.

Anonymous

Well they manage to get away with putting your premium up, even if they dont pay anything out - how does that work!

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "cstevens"Well they manage to get away with putting your premium up, even if they dont pay anything out - how does that work!

Very well...

For them anyway.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Simon

Tags: