Oversize Springs, Top Mount Bearings or Just New Tyres??

Started by zud, December 23, 2003, 08:32

zud

My 2's been suffering from the classic clonk when reversing out of the drive first thing in the morning... or so I thought!  

I remembered reading about "oversize springs" at http://www.mr2roadster.net/index1a.html and about problems with front suspension top mount bearings in several threads on here.  So I booked it in with the local Mr T for early in the new year, to coincide with replacement alloys.  

Then, I replaced my tyres (with GY Eagle F1s)... and there's no more clonks!!!  I guess the grip is so much better with the new tyres that the car turns where the wheels are pointing, whereas before the front was being dragged across the tyre tread.  But, has the problem gone away, or have the new tyres just hidden a problem that's still there?  Any thoughts?
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Slacey

Mine did it for a while then stopped... it hadn't done it for months when the dealer asked to replace the strut tops  s:? :? s:?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

I still wonder if it's to do with temperature.  Mine didn't start until it got cold.  Wonder if it's ctire temp rather than suspension temp.  Also if it's wet out... will have to keep an ear open and see if the wet ground helps.

zud

Mine definitely got worse as the weather got colder.  I was thinking that was in line with top mount lubrication/bearings.  

My guess is that the better tyres hide the problem.  When i had a Triumph Spitfire, the lock was so tight you could push/pull the front wheels sideways if you used too much power.  I think the lock on the '2 is tight enough that it was dragging the front wheels sideways, rather than following the correct arc.  Then the extra sideways forces on the suspension mounts was enough cause the clonk(?)  Maybe!?
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

It's always reverse as well... never forwards.

paul russell

As I mentioned in another thread, my MR2 is back in with the dealer and they are saying it's the tyres. Mine is definitely worse when it is cold and dry. Unfortunately, today it is (relatively) mild and wet. Mine does it driving forward on full lock.

Anonymous

zud wrote:
QuoteMy 2's been suffering from the classic clonk when reversing out of the drive first thing in the morning... or so I thought!

I remembered reading about "oversize springs" at  m http://www.mr2roadster.net/index1a.html m  and about problems with front suspension top mount bearings in several threads on here. So I booked it in with the local Mr T for early in the new year, to coincide with replacement alloys.

Then, I replaced my tyres (with GY Eagle F1s)... and there's no more clonks!!! I guess the grip is so much better with the new tyres that the car turns where the wheels are pointing, whereas before the front was being dragged across the tyre tread. But, has the problem gone away, or have the new tyres just hidden a problem that's still there? Any thoughts?

Zud, it is strange you should say that as when I tok mine to Mr T about 2 weeks ago to see if they could identify the same thing after the suspension mounts had been changed less than a year ago, the technicians there said EXACTLY the same thing as what other people and yourself have said. Paraphrasing, but you will get the gist, he said "basically, we have cheched everything that you have asked us to check. The mounts, the springs and everything is in order. The mounts have no wear on them at all, the spring is sitting Ok, and we have even been round and checked all the torques on the fittings and they are Ok too. We HAVE heard a clonking, but can't find anything. What we would suggest it is is that as the MR2 has so little weight in the front and the weather has started to turn, what is happening is that the tyres are grabbing on the wet surface and "jumping" across the road, making the clunking sound"........

Which, to be fair to the teccie, seemed about fair at the time as I had only noticed it as the weather was beginning to get crap, I took the car to the garage when it was pouring with rain, and he did show me the report and everything WAS checked.

I am looking to get some Toyo's soon as my tyres are getting close. I would be interested in what happens when they are on........

As for the knocking, I still didn't agree after leaving, but what could I do? Now, after what has been said on this thread and what the teccie said, there may be an element of truth in this............

Tags: