Engine Starting Problems - Once started VERY NOISY

Started by Anonymous, December 23, 2003, 10:15

Anonymous

I went to start my car last night and it took 4 turns of the key, and when it did eventually start it spluttered and stalled, then it started, began to splutter so i revved it a little and that seemed to sort it short term but the car was VERY VERY VERY loud.

Any ideas

Tem

Maybe something to do with this?
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=1890 m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

Having read both the threads, I'd say that a visit to your local MR T. is in order...

What sort of noise is it then Bigun? Whining? Knocking? Clattering? Banging? Whistling? Is it regular and linked to engine speed, or does it seem to have a mind of its own? Is this the only time it has occured, or does it do it regularly? A few more details will assist the diagnosis, both here and at MR T.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Right, the noise was there last night but was kicking in more at about 4.5K revs.

Its like a whining noise that gets louder and more urgent as the revs rise - whining or whistling it could be - its kinda high pitched so more whistling i suppose. The whistle is there almost all the time, especially when the weather is cold   s:? :? s:?  

I dunno if any of that helps?

James.

Tem

Quote from: "bigun007"Right, the noise was there last night but was kicking in more at about 4.5K revs.

Its like a whining noise that gets louder and more urgent as the revs rise

So you have a strange noise that gets louder with higher revs...and yet you keep revving it?  s:? :? s:?

If you can't figure it out, please have someone look at it. But I don't think you should just keep revving it, if that makes the noise worse...

(obviously it's a bit hard to say anything without actually hearing it)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

When i said "Noisy" i meant the engine/exhaust sounded louder than normal, much louder - jus to clarify a little.

GSB

Check the joints in the exhaust, the most notable one being the one from the cat to the silencer, which is a flexible joint with a reinforced graphite "doughnut" gasket. The joint is kept under light tension by 2 springs, but it has been disturbed on your car due to the TTE fitting. I had a leak there myself at one point and it did make quite a racket...

Failing that, take it your dealer and use your warranty, thats what its there for...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tags: