Stolen & Copyrighted

Started by Peter Wright, December 2, 2007, 17:56

Peter Wright

A pic of my car I had on the forum has been stolen then copyrighted
Although I don't care I think its a bit much
Any thoughts please
 m http://www.bdtrims.com/images/expls/ind ... rrentPic=2 m
Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Silverman

Quote from: "Peter Wright"A pic of my car I had on the forum has been stolen then copyrighted
Any thoughts please
Pete

Don't know Peter.  It is a bit much and why has it been copyrighted?
I think one of our web experts needs to advise on this.
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

alancdavis

Cant get the link to work    s:?: :?: s:?:  
Any way ,,,I suggest you request a rather large fee for the privalege to use the photo and of course a royalty fee for each time it is viewd,,,  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

SimonC_Here

Were they the people who did it for you?

I still think they should give you something for it, blatantly nicking the photo and saying that it is theirs is a bit off.

Simon

Anonymous

A professional photographer would have claimed copyright up front as part of the contract and you would have signed to this effect. As it is, you own the car, not the photograph of it. Lawers please shoot me down.
Why would anyone want copyright??

markiii

well it's his photo as well as his car
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

When i sold my badges off my first roadster on ebay, sexybrunnette used my pictures to sell hers. Would not have bothered me, but she has a buisness on ebay and every listing states her pics are copyrighted and she will sue if anyone uses them.

Cheeky mare eh?

Anonymous

I think the point I'm trying to make that if you thought the photo was that good, then why didn't you copyright it??
Would you have bought the Mona Lisa to hang on your wall???

kanujunkie

this is sad that this happens, recently the club had to ban a member who stole a lot of our reference section items and posted them as his own work on another forum, on that one we were able to get them deleted as we had close ties with the club, but i doubt this company will do anything other than ask you to prove its yours, which i doubt we could prove
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Everything I have ever read in photographic magazines and websites state that the photographer automatically owns the copyright. Liz found this on the web: (cos she's the queen of Google)

m http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/prote ... _copyright m

cdrskull

Hi m8.. as far as I was aware you own the copyright as you took the picture.

If your that bothered about it I would just email them asking them to remove it from there website and let them know you are the original photographer.

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion
www.dnaoc.co.uk - Owners Club
www.bluepc.co.uk - Bolton PC Repairs (my new venture)

northernalex

I would suggest that you let them have the copyright for a small payment and/or some freebies from them.  At the end of the day its never going to make you a forture..

Plus, i hate people that say "at the end of the day"

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

evileye_wrx

Some random thoughts...

Did anyone notice BD Trims are based in the States? The most they will do is take the pic off their site, but then no one else gets to see what a RHD MR2 in walnut trim looks like. More than likely they'll do nothing at all. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to be too worried about being sued cos thats just going to be the biggest pain the neck to try and do (Unless you happen to work for a law firm with a branch in New York?)

Maybe they'll argue its a different car that just happens to look similar?

Remember mimicry is the highest form of flattery. Pete, they obviously lowed your car so much they used the pic. Was it them you bought it from? There may be small print saying they reserve the right to use any pics of their products for promotional purposes, which possibly means the pic is technically theirs.

Maybe their wily New York lawyer will argue that you stole an image of their product by photographing it. You never know in the Land of Litigation
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Peter Wright

Quote from: "Peter Wright"A pic of my car I had on the forum has been stolen then copyrighted
Any thoughts please
Pete
As I said "I don't really care" so ill let matters lie, I just thought it was a bit much
Yes they are the company in the States where I bought it
But the only way they could have got it was on this forum   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  
If I had known what they were going to do I would have cleaned the floor for them
As an afterthought it well could have been the old forum before this nice new one as it was about 6 years ago
Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

roger

What pisses me off Pete, is not that they have used the photo, but that they are actually claiming copyright of the photo, which is not theirs to do.

Technically speaking they are stopping you using your own photos.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

I would take it up with them if I was you on that point alone. The very least they need to do is delete the Copyright notice. The very best is to pay you loads of dosh.

We've just had a case where a manufacturer claimed copyright on a web photo, borrowed from and with the full permission of a wholesaler. Technically they are right, but it certainly doesn't do well for their image and marketing policies.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

I hate it when that happens.  I discovered someone selling one of my badge designs on a foreign country web site a few years ago.  It isn't about money to me, but I think of it as theft and dishonesty.

darrenjuggins

Hi,

I'm sure Craig will be along shortly, but what we both do is allow a Licence to USE, you should always keep hold of the copyright yourself.

Now what seems to have happended is they have "borrowed" the image off MR2 Roc site, but then to use it for comercial gain, without the express permisson of the MR2 Roc site or in turn the owner of the image, then I do think that is a little naughty.

I would personally drop them a line, inform them of the above 2 facts and possibly (if you so wish) ask them to donate to the club funds and then allow them continued use of the photo (under Licence) on this basis.

In future, if this keeps happening, it would be a suggestion for people concerned about this to Watermark there images through the middle with a name, company name or so on to ensure this dosen't happen, or at least they come to you for permisson and an unwatermarked version.

Unfortunately I suspect most people just click on the image on here and download, there are ways of stopping this, but that would require the intervention of the Web Team.

Hope this helps and if you can get a contribution to club funds I would suggest doing so, else request immediate removal.

Kind Regards

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

filcee

I had the same happen to some photos of my apartment.  They were used by on a company website with that company's copyright mark across the middle.  I sent them a plainly worded email asking them to either correctly attribute the copyright to me and I would allow them to continue to use the picture, or to remove it from their site. They removed the picture.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

I don't really want to perpetuate this but are we saying that I can't take say a photo of your car?? What's the difference between your image and my image on the same day, same place etc?? How can you complain after the event?? Would you have used your image for financial gain??
If I subsequently make money from something that you were not going to do anything with (ie I added all of the value) then where is your claim?
If you don't establish copyright in writing then common law and all of that says that it was my image of the car and not yours. Even if that is not strictly the case, it's easy to try to cash in on other peoples successes.
What if the image instigated or was used as evidence for a damages, negligence claim?? Yours or mine now??

Peter Wright

I did not want this to turn into an argument, all I wanted to know how someone could copy a picture off this forum and then copyright it as there own, which I know has been done, as I said in my initial post
"I don't care" but I think its wrong, and I can understand other points of view.
Pete

Anonymous

Pete
In the imortal words of the SAS, 'who cares who wins'
Just thought it was an interesting debate.
Dave Smith

dbrown

i'd take it as a compliment in this situation really
they could easily take a photo themselves but obviously
thought your picture was good enough for their site

although i agree its a bit cheeky claiming copyright
they aren't really making money from it apart from
saving the cost of taking one themselves
Darren

2004 silver roadster totally [strike]standard[/strike] wrecked \":(\"

DannyN

Quote from: "Peter Wright"All I wanted to know was how someone could copy a picture off this forum and then copyright it as there own

Peter
Why dont you just send them an email asking them, its worth a try and could end all this speculation.

D
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

kentsmudger

Quote from: "sandstrain"are we saying that I can't take say a photo of your car?? What's the difference between your image and my image on the same day, same place etc??

If you take a photograph standing next to me, the photos are different and individual works, your photo is automatically yours and my photo is mine - The copyright belongs to the creator of the work (the photographer), It makes no difference at all what the subject of the photo is or who owns the subject, buildings, cars, whatever.

You do not have to mark a photo with copyright to have copyright, you are just using that mark to let people know who owns it, so if it gets pinched everyone can see it's stolen
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

dbrown

the only time the subject really matters is when you are on
private property where you are supposed to ask for permission
(even shopping centres often stop people although more if you
have pro looking gear)

or more importantly pictures of people
if the person is the main subject their permission is needed
if they are stood near the subject or in the background then its ok

press photographers get away with it because they are supposedly
public interest or news even if very vaguely news related
Darren

2004 silver roadster totally [strike]standard[/strike] wrecked \":(\"