Started by Anonymous, December 10, 2007, 18:11

Anonymous

miriam1988, please tell me your new wheels have staggered sizes of tyres?

Anonymous

No why? - they are all 205's

Wabbitkilla

This has been talked about sooooo many times.

Normally the MR2 has the same make and model tyre all around, and the rear tyres are WIDER than the fronts.

If you don't keep that tyre stagger, a ditch near you will come visiting.
You are asking to have an accident if you do not maintain that tyre stagger and it could possibly invalidate your insurance.

If you do a search for tyres then in all the results you will find plenty about it. You will also find a number of people who ended up with sadly dead cars.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "miriam1988"No why? - they are all 205's

Put wider tyres on the rear, now!

Anonymous

But the rears are already wider than standard ones - but the fronts are the same as the rears now.

Are you trying to say that Know matter what size the front tyres are then the rears have to be wider than the fronts???

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "miriam1988"But the rears are already wider than standard ones - but the fronts are the same as the rears now.

Are you trying to say that Know matter what size the front tyres are then the rears have to be wider than the fronts???

That's about the sum of it.
Simon

Anonymous

Quote from: "miriam1988"But the rears are already wider than standard ones - but the fronts are the same as the rears now.

Yes, otherwise all 4 tyres will lose grip at the same time, you then end up off the road.

Anonymous

Lol are you guys serious - Your trying to say that by matching the rear tyre width it will alter the handling of the car to become unsafe????

Sorry but I refuse to believe it - the reason for narrower tyres in the front is for better steering - not for any other reason.

If you can give me a scientific proof that it causes danger then i'll sort the tyres out - otherwise i think someone has bulled you lot into believing some crap lol

I've driven all sorts of cars and understand the tracking & camber and geometries of cars setups  to know that that is just stupid.

For this to be true then the manufacture would be liable for any accidents this may cause as know where does it say on any manual/browser when buying the car that you can't swap the tyres lol

Anonymous

Ok, for the last time  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   The car comes supplied with a staggered tyre set up. Toyotas r+d engineers decided this for a reason they know slightly more about the car than you do.
No one has bluffed or bullied us, the info you will find on here comes from thousands of members with years of ownership.
I suggest you use the search function extensively, you have a lot to learn and i doubt you will get spoon fed judging by your last post.

Liz

If you were not selling a set of wheels on here I would say that you were not an owner and were out to deliberately antagonise people on here with your comments above.

Please have a look around the forum at the evidence that has been accumulated that this is not a good way to be driving around.

For your own safety, and if you don't care about that, the safety of other road users please at least have a read.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

evileye_wrx

Perhaps you could do a search and read what has been written on here, and spyderchat on the subject. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that the tyre stagger is necessary.

Conversely, don't believe anyone else's experience and opinion and risk writing off your car. The choice is up to you but do let us know if you survive the winter. I don't think we've had any winter casualties, but there are usually a few. There's already at least 2 people who have said they have spun there cars and there's plenty of time left before the weather starts warming up.
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "miriam1988"Sorry but I refuse to believe it - the reason for narrower tyres in the front is for better steering - not for any other reason.
Personally I LIKE better steering. Helps avoid things like ditches, curbs and other road users.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Quote from: "miriam1988"For this to be true then the manufacture would be liable for any accidents this may cause as know where does it say on any manual/browser when buying the car that you can't swap the tyres lol

No, but it does say these are your tyre sizes. If you ignore them and put on what ever sizes you see fit, then that is your own lookout if you have an accident.

Simon

Wabbitkilla

Ok, before we lock this thread...

1. Toyota designed the car with wider wheels & tyres on the rear.
    There are a number of reasons for this, some of which relate to
    handling, stability, and above all safety. I think in your full
    experience you will find that all rear/mid engined rear wheel
    drive cars employ this setup.
2. Toyota can't be held liable if someone fits the wrong size tyres, and
    to be brutally honest won't be held liable if you fit the right size tyres.
    It seems ultimately foolish to ignore manufacturers specifications and
    then hold them liable. Liken this to filling the tank with diesel if you will.
3. Tyre manusfaturers make tyres and sell them to you.
    That is all they are interested in, it is purely up to the purchaser
    to decide what they are going to fit them to. In the end tyre
    manufacturers have no control over what you do with their product
    once you buy them - therefore accept no liability if you are stupid
    enough to use them in the wrong place.
4. Forgive me, i've only been driving my 2 for a couple of years, but
    been driving for over 20 years now, all sorts of vehicles from
    motorbikes to tanks. My experience may not be completely 100%
    of all that is available, but i'd say that what i have counts for something.
5. The collected experience of MR2ROC and SPYDERCHAT i would say can
    be trusted over one individual - no bull**it needed!

We are trying to help you avoiding ending up in hospital or worse, do you really want to start here by throwing that in our faces? Contrary to some peoples thinking everyone i know on here acts in the bests interests of everyone else, so please if advice or counselling is offered - take it.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Anonymous

Quote from: "miriam1988"I've driven all sorts of cars and understand the tracking & camber and geometries of cars setups  to know that that is just stupid.

You have obviously not driven a rear engined rear wheel drive car before, Toyota do things for a reason - not because it looks good, knowing about cambers etc means jack shit when you are in a ditch dead.

Listen to what people have said above, the amount of times this situation as occurred is unbelievable - the people who sell you the wheels and tyres have not got a clue with regard to driving these cars, they think they are like every other front engined rear wheel drive car - they are wrong.

Rob.

Anonymous

I know you all love your MR and I love my Girl friends as it is a great fun drive - But i currently drive and RX7 and if you was to say putting thinner tyres on the rear would cause me hassel then i'd 100% believe you but the fronts are a different story.

I have done a few searches and in everyone its just peoples opinions - this is a 136bhp ('ish) bhp rwd car not a supercar - my Girlfriend is now worried because you've basically said 2 her that she will be in a ditch lol

Now if there was physical evidence why they are better then i'd be happy to agree and understand BUT so far NOTHING

My last car was an Elise 160 sport and most elises have smaller front tyres - but that is for turning advances on the road - if they was to be tracked then they put the same width all around. Its the same set up as the MR but they dont go scaring people on there site!!

Anonymous

Rob i think you'll find i've owner more RWD than you have probably driven - I currenty have a 360bhp little weight (1000kg) RX7  - so i may know a sh*t load more than you!!

Look i down want to argue cos this site is a good site for info on her car which is needed - But please give facts not try and scare people!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "miriam1988"My last car was an Elise 160 sport and most elises have smaller front tyres - but that is for turning advances on the road - if they was to be tracked then they put the same width all around. Its the same set up as the MR but they dont go scaring people on there site!!

Don't you think you have just answered the question, Lotus put smaller wheels on the front to help turning - is that not the same as steering the car, in otherwords make the car safer.

Tracking a car with track wheels and tyres is a totally different thing to day to day running like your girlfriend will be doing, we have members on here who do change their tyres for the same size, but they are running on different compounds and they have lots of space if they get it wrong.

No one is trying to scare you or your girlfriend - we are trying to help with a normal road car - think about it.

Rob.

Anonymous

Ok, so against all advice your ego is going to allow your girlfriend to drive a car that is not set up as intended from the factory and is far more likely to cause her to have an accident?

Your ego is writing checques that your girlfriend may have to cash, although it is more likely to bounce, into a ditch.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Quote from: "miriam1988"Rob i think you'll find i've owner more RWD than you have probably driven - I currenty have a 360bhp little weight (1000kg) RX7  - so i may know a sh*t load more than you!!

Look i down want to argue cos this site is a good site for info on her car which is needed - But please give facts not try and scare people!!

Oh dear - how old are you.

Anonymous

Quote from: "FGRob"
Quote from: "miriam1988"Rob i think you'll find i've owner more RWD than you have probably driven - I currenty have a 360bhp little weight (1000kg) RX7  - so i may know a sh*t load more than you!!

Oh dear - how old are you.

Aaah, the impossible question, just how old is God?

Anonymous

I got a feeling this will be locked shortly - oh well it passed a bit of time here in sunny Kuwait - 23 deg C   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Wabbitkilla

[MOD] Thread locked.

There's no telling some people.

<edit> Apologies, but this thread was dropping into the realms of name calling and downright rude and unruly behaviour, in the interests of keeping some kind of behavioral standards around here the thread was locked.

The information about tyre stagger is available through search and around the globe, so there's little point in dragging it out any further.
[/MOD]

Anonymous

Quote from: "miriam1988"I know you all love your MR and I love my Girl friends as it is a great fun drive - But i currently drive and RX7 and if you was to say putting thinner tyres on the rear would cause me hassel then i'd 100% believe you but the fronts are a different story.

That's a FR set up car, not MR: There's a big difference and I would have expected someone with your incredible knowledge to know that.

Quote from: "miriam1988"My last car was an Elise 160 sport and most elises have smaller front tyres - but that is for turning advances on the road - if they was to be tracked then they put the same width all around. Its the same set up as the MR but they dont go scaring people on there site!!

Then you should know that ALL Elises and their variants have staggered widths that has absolutely nothing to do with 'turning advances'. Go and ask the people who drive the LOTRDC and ask them what size tyres they run, and then ask them WHY they run those sizes. Any idiot that has driven an Elise on track will know that, and it almost scares me that you owned something as pure as an S160 and yet know so precious little about it.

Apologies for the blatant abuse of Mod powers by posting after the lock, but you've really got to be put in place before some poor unsuspecting owner of a '2 actually believes any of the crap you've written. Ownership of a car doesn't automatically imply that you have the knowledge to use it properly.

Tags: