Winter tyres

Started by stavros58, December 16, 2007, 21:20

stavros58

Hi

Are there any winter tyres that will fit on a 2006 Roadster with factory fit wheels 16" rear and 15" front.  One suggestion has been to fit toyo winter tyres except they rears are marginally wider 225 instead of 215 which I would of thought would not fit the rims.

Sorry I have very little knowledge of tyres etc, I have incidentally done a search on the forums before asking this question and didn't find anything other than someone who seems insistent to put equal size tyres on the front and back regardless of the good advice recieved.

I am asking this because I live in a rural place and travel over the moors everyday when its icy like last week the back end slips out at reasonable speeds (twice) and I lost traction overtaking a 10 mph pickup up a hill because of heavy frost on the road, embarrasing and a little scary.

Thanks for any help in advance and I like your forums they are interesting and funny.  s:D :D s:D
MR2 Chilli Red, final 300 production run for U.K. Hard Top, TTE twin pipes, Alacantra leather. Pre registered, no mods but  Brilliant! Favourite quote "I don\'t expect to know what is around the corner but I do at least expect to know where the corner is"

Chris_h

Hi STavross,

I know nothing of winter tyres but I do know that several members use Toyo summer tyres @ 225 wide on the rear with no problems - so should be OK width wise.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

Stavros where are you from?
Greece?

Get the 225x40x16 for the rears and 195x50x15 for the front.

Toyo T1-R Proxies are very good to wear, most of us do (not me yet though).

VVT-i

224/40x16 aren't available in a winter tyre tho.. I know Toyo do 225x45/16 in a winter tyre.. they also do the 185x55/15 in the same pattern so all 4 tyres would be the same.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

stavros58

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the advice, I will go with Daveys suggestion with the Toyo winter tyres, the current tyres are Bridgestone Potenza fine in resonable weather but not on frosty or lightly iced roads.  

Simosspyder I'm not from Greece its a nickname I was given years ago, no one calls me it now but I use it for games etc.

Cheers   s:) :) s:)
MR2 Chilli Red, final 300 production run for U.K. Hard Top, TTE twin pipes, Alacantra leather. Pre registered, no mods but  Brilliant! Favourite quote "I don\'t expect to know what is around the corner but I do at least expect to know where the corner is"

VVT-i

Remember to get the retailer to check that the 225/45x16 tyres will fit... I still feel that you shouldn't have any issues as you are still running standard suspension...

...unless someone here knows different?
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

Tags: