Hard Top Problem

Started by Anonymous, December 24, 2003, 13:13

Anonymous

Could all you folks with Hard Tops check the fit from drivers side to passenger side. When fitting mine this year I noticed that on the passenger side, the fit/gap going from just past the door post to the hook attachment is not the same as on the drivers. It's possible to slide the ignition key straight under the seal which you can't do on the drivers side.
At first the dealer said it's distorted because it wasn't stored on the official trolley but in an expensive bag hanging from the garage wall. However, they have been sympathetic & had another look at it today to see if altering the catches would help. It's improved slightly but not 100%.
By good fortune, last Friday I came across a Black MR2 parked in the Nuneaton area. (anybody here own it? & goes to MIRA?). This car has exactly the same problem as mine so I reckon it has to more than coincidence.
My dealer now knowing that I'm not the only person in the world with this problem is still looking into it & hopes to contact a Toyota emplyoyee in the New Year who has a hard top so that they can be compared.
Be grateful if folks could check theirs so I can gain some ammunition, just run your finger round between the black trim on the top & the body, you'll know straight away if the sides are different.
Merry Christmas to all.

Anonymous

Got a hardtop, but I'm not sure what you're on about.  Any chance of a piccy or two with arrows as to where I'm supposed to put my finger/key?

dimwit

Yep, mines the same, got the gap on the passengers side.. can nearly fit my fingers underneath..  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

aaronjb

If I'm understanding you correctly, and you mean the gap between the hardtop and the body just behind the doors (i.e. where the 'C' pillar would be on a normal car) -- then mine is the same both sides, about 5mm max at the very front, rising to 1.5cm underneath the rear window..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Slacey

How bizzare... just been out to look and mine has the gap too - personally I would say they ALL have the same thing (perhaps a design / manufacturing fault?), but as there are no leaks or draughts, I'm not going to worry too much about it.
It'll be interesting to see what your dealer comes up with though.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Phil4,
aaronjb's description is correct, from the C post back. the gap between the top & the body where the seal is compressed. Just run your finger under the top between the gap on oneside of the car then compare the other side.
I've never had a problem with it leaking or wind noise but that side always has the most condensation on the rear screen.
Problem is, once you know it's not correct you want it put right, just like you'd want to have an even gap around bonnet or doors.
Pictures - Santa doesn't deliver the camera until tomorrow & the cars real dirty.

Anonymous

Ah, I get you.  Yeah they're different on mine too.  Not as huge a difference I think as yours, but the same way around, more on the passenger side than drivers side.

Slacey

Like I said above, I reckon they are all like that - funny no-one noticed this before though!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

Checked mine last night, seems even allt the way round. Is there any adjustment in the  hard top mounts? By that I mean the new pieces that come as part of the fixing kit. My memory is telling me that i read somewhere that they can be adjusted vertically in which case perhaps the height of your mounts is uneven? Having said that i've done a quick search and can find nothing to support my memory! Anyone who fitted there own hardtop remember?

Slacey

I haven't fitted my own top, but during the fitting of the Style Bars you use these mounts, I'll see if I can dig out a picture, but I think they only had horizontal adjustment, not vertical.

Slacey

Yep, horizontal only, it pivots left/right on the bottom bolt.

Anonymous

If i am looking at that picture correctly, the horizontal adjustment is on the top bolt and it pivots around the bottom bolt. in which case there would be a minor height alteration at the top. If the two sides were adjusted differently is there enough of an adjustment to give the issue with the unven fit?

Slacey

Quote from: "RaGE"If i am looking at that picture correctly, the horizontal adjustment is on the top bolt and it pivots around the bottom bolt. in which case there would be a minor height alteration at the top. If the two sides were adjusted differently is there enough of an adjustment to give the issue with the unven fit?
For how much of a gap there is (on mine, anyway), I don't think that little bit of adjustment would really make a difference. When I have moved house and have some room, unless someone beats me to it I'll give it a go.

Tags: