A hello from the cold and, well not snowy, Sweden

Started by Anonymous, December 18, 2007, 14:37

Anonymous

Just bought myself an MR2 after years of looking and thinking and deciding not to  s;) ;) s;)

Actually what I really was looking for this time round was a Porsche Boxster 986 S or 987 S, but also looked at 2's and Speedsters just for fun, more or less.

But then I stumbled upon this one, and I just had to buy it!  s:) :) s:)  

I have not driven it much since I will not have it in traffic during winter - they use a lot of road salt (is it called that?) here in Sweden, which is really aggressive towards the car, so it has to stay in the garage until spring.

But from what I can tell this far, I am super happy with the decision to go for the MR. Sure, the Boxster is a very nice car, but not worth 3-4 times the cost IMO.

Just wanted to say I'm very glad to have found this forum and I look forward to being part of the community here.

Cheers all  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Hi and welcome, please do a search for pre cats and read the important info regarding these.

Anonymous

Thanks for the welcome and the tip on the pre cats. Stupid me thought it would be a safe buy with another Toyota  s;) ;) s;)

I think I maybe better get it on the road despite the salt and do some proper testing for this before the warranty runs out (in Sweden you have 3 months warranty when buying a used car from a dealer).

It is probably covered in one of the numerous threads about this so sorry for asking again (couldn't find it). Is there a test you could ask Toyota to do to see if your engine is likely to suffer from this anytime soon? Like, before the warranty is over  s;) ;) s;)  

I got the part of the oil burning, but if the snow comes and the car stays in the garage (or does it leak oil even if stationary?)...

edit: sorry found the sticky about the pre cats now, answers my question rg the test

kanujunkie

hi matey and welcome to the club

do read about the precats, then rip them out and forget about the problem, only other real issues can be corrosion of the rear suspension beam( the big grey cross member at the bottom of the engine bay) and the radiators at the front are generally damaged by stone chips especially if the vehicle has aircon
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"hi matey and welcome to the club

do read about the precats, then rip them out and forget about the problem, only other real issues can be corrosion of the rear suspension beam( the big grey cross member at the bottom of the engine bay) and the radiators at the front are generally damaged by stone chips especially if the vehicle has aircon

Thanks for the welcome and the further tips  s:) :) s:)

Yeah, I'm thinking about fitting a TRD manifold instead. The pre-cat problem is a good way to justify the cost for the GF  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Hiya and welcome! I'm a relatively new member myself and can see why you ended up with a '2  s:D :D s:D

We do indeed have road salt here, horrible stuff!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tompak"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"hi matey and welcome to the club

Thanks for the welcome and the further tips  s:) :) s:)

Yeah, I'm thinking about fitting a TRD manifold instead. The pre-cat problem is a good way to justify the cost for the GF  s;) ;) s;)

Do a search for a Che manifold, far cheaper than the TRD.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Germy"Hiya and welcome! I'm a relatively new member myself and can see why you ended up with a '2  s:D :D s:D

We do indeed have road salt here, horrible stuff!

I can also see it, every night when I look into the garage see the car and dream about summer  s;) ;) s;)

Is it common that people in the UK use their sports cars all year - despite the salt? It seems to be what most people on this forum do anyway? In Sweden I would say it is more common that cars of this kind are put away during winter, rather than driven all year.

Rg. the manifold I was thinking about a simple solution namely get Mr T to do it all, since time is not something I have loads of. And then I guess TRD is the way to go? But thanks for the tip anyway  s:) :) s:)

Wabbitkilla

Well, as it's my only car and I don't have a garage or any cover, my car is out & about all reay around.

I enjoy driving her in all weathers - obviously better when i can get the roof down though  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

It would be worth checking with Che to see how quickly he could deliver a manifold for you as the price of the TRD really ccan't be justified!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Chris

yep i use mine all year round, but then again i suppose our winters are nothing compared to scandinavian ones...  a few flakes of the white stuff brings the country to a halt, and i must admit i don't like driving in the 2 on snow, but i guess that's mainly due to the summer tyres..
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"yep i use mine all year round, but then again i suppose our winters are nothing compared to scandinavian ones...  a few flakes of the white stuff brings the country to a halt, and i must admit i don't like driving in the 2 on snow, but i guess that's mainly due to the summer tyres..

Haha, yeah I can just imagine driving a 2 in snow with summer tyres... must be a nightmare...

I'm thinking of actually doing some driving during the Xmas vacation, we don't have any snow yet in my part of Sweden, so if the sun is shining and the roads are dry and nice, I will probably not be able to resist  s:) :) s:)

Tags: