Short Shifter

Started by uktotty, February 19, 2008, 14:37

uktotty

Well now I have my unichip and my car performs how it should have done, I am thinking about the short shifter.
Toyota £130
Ebay £20
Anyone give me any advice on whether the cheapos are any good?
Also, whats the install like?

Russ

roger

I swopped the ebay for TRD and IMO it was much better. Pity you didn't say on Saturday - we had all sorts there!!

The TRD is also much easier to fit because it comes complete with a new cage. The ebay you have to dismantle the cage and remove / re-use small plastic bits which are a bu**er to get off.

All  in all, TRD every time for me.

<edit> BTW TRD come in 5 & 6 speed versions - if you are buying make sure you get the right one <edit>
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

markiii

get the B&M

the ebay looks like it but doesn't shift like it
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

uktotty

Cheers Roger
Wasnt aware that my car would perform quite as well as it did untill my journey home on sat!
Oh well, I am sure someone will be selling soon

Anonymous

I have the Che, about £30. I agree with Roger just replacing the cage with the trd is easier, it is difficult getting the plastic caps off, then on again. If finanaces allow spend the extra £100.
So saying, im happy with the Che.

chalced

I went for the 'cheapie' Ebay one.
Had no problems fitting it at all (except for taking out the centre console - 1 bu**er of a screw at the front on each side).
Once you get past the 'notchiness' of the gear changes then it was really good and now I actually like the notchy feeling of changing gears - a bit like a gated gear change and soooo much quicker. But make sure you put LOADS of grease on the thing   s:) :) s:)  

Mel.

kanujunkie

i've got a Che, they're excellent for the price
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

+1 for the cheapie fleaBay article.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

enid_b

i have the cheap ebay one.

i love it, and others who have tried mine love the tightness of my box.

for me the fitting of the cheap one was easy, i even got to re use the plastic bits.

GREASE GREASE GREASE is all i would offer.

save a ton, get the ebay one, and buy a new shirt, heaven knows you need one !!!

s:) :) s:)   E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

uktotty

Cheers Enid, thats the best idea anyone has had
£20 for a shifter and £40 for a new tasteful shirt!

Anonymous

Quote from: "enid_b"i have the cheap ebay one.

i love it, and others who have tried mine love the tightness of my box.

GREASE GREASE GREASE is all i would offer.

s:) :) s:)   E

All is now revealed  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

uktotty

So as they say!
Grease is the word, is the word, is the word

ChrisGB

Having driven both TRD and Ebay versions, I would take the TRD every time myself. Just felt much better.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

heathstimpson

I have Roger's old Ebay one and it's been fine  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

NickNJ

I've a copy on the elise and its just as good, if others have used the ebay one and say its fine go for it. As someone mentioned use lots of grease!
Black MR2 Roadster

Jigwar

Also worth considering the cheaper short shifters don't maintain the kink in the stick so after installing the positions of gears is offset. Maybe something easily gotten used to (I've not tried one - went straight for TRD - which does maintain kink).

Also, TRD is not actually that much shorter (can still use the same leather gaiter with no obvious appearance of being the wrong size). Cheaper shifters are shorter and you might need a new gaiter (from Rhon as a plug for a member on here   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ).

Could saw the TRD down and rethread to make shorter I suppose.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Steve
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

aaronjb

I did spend a while trying to figure out which gear I was in..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

uktotty

I quite fancy this one
$60

There so many short  throw shifters on the market, however, only Ralcorz has a shifter available that stands out amongst all others.  These shifters are made from the highest quality aluminum and hardened steel. Every Ralcorz Short Shift kit is precision-made for each application.  A premium sport shifter engineered for the enthusiast. This Sport Shifter has all of the features you need.

roger

TBH no different from any of the Ebay etc with a straight shaft. In fact I reckon that was mine (under a different name) because I got a knob as well (no retorts thank you).

Still need to get plastic caps off your OEM (and if you mess it up MrT won't supply replacements because they only sell complete cage). If you are not going TRD or B&M (who supply plastic caps, grease etc in their kit), then IMO go for the cheapest you can.
Roger

markiii

odd but I could always tell the difference betwen my B&M and teh copies

it's sucha  tactile experience I think it's worth spending teh cash
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

roger

Quote from: "markiii"it's such a  tactile experience I think it's worth spending the cash

...and a very good reason for trying out offerings in other cars
Roger

Chris_h

I have had a wiggle on Enids short one. Very stiff and direct, I can tell you. It does lean to one side, but once you get used to it, no problems.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

enid_b

she certainly does lean over a little. took about an hour to get used to.

im not much of a modder, but this one i consider essential.

its slick

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

uktotty

Bought the cheapo one today!
Anyone wanna grease me up?

Liz

Quote from: "uktotty"Bought the cheapo one today!
Anyone wanna grease me up?

Blimey Russ if I can fit a short shifter you can - get your hands dirty for a change!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Tags: