Congestion charging

Started by Anonymous, January 2, 2004, 10:59

Anonymous

If you feel the same way then write as I have done....

Mr Richard Lack
XXXXXXXX Road
Tunbridge Wells
TN1 XXX

cc: Paul Pindar, Chief Executive, Capita
      Peter Hendy, Director of Surface Transport, TfL

2nd January 2004

AUTOMATED PAYMENTS FROM DEBIT CARDS

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have canvassed support from very many people who regularly use the congestion zone. Our experience would be immeasurably easier if we had the option for our debit cards to be charged automatically whenever entering the zone.  I understand that Capita currently offer the facility to buy a monthly ticket and then to claim a refund at the end of this period.  Unfortunately, for those of us who are aware of it, this method is time consuming and expensive.

Many of us have paid out over £500 in fines since charging began.  We accept that this is due to the fact that we occasionally forget to pay; but Capita should concede that it is precisely the absence of a method for automatic payment that results in normal people like ourselves being penalised unfairly and needlessly.

Given the technology currently being employed for payment by a variety of methods we are certain that a small change to the system will accommodate motorists who forget to pay by crosschecking a list of drivers who have previously authorised automatic payments against your daily list of outstanding unpaid vehicle registrations.

On a more cynical note I am prepared to contemplate that it serves Capita very well indeed if they fail to act on this straightforward matter.  The revenues generated in fines are considerable, and largely dependent on drivers like us forgetting to pay.

We are all mindful that congestion charging is a public service and should be operated as such.  It is not in the public service to be collecting fines where you could otherwise be collecting the lesser amount of the congestion charge by prior consent of the motorist.

The cause of the motorist has become a popular one with most of the national papers in recent years.  Witness for instance the climb-down on 'safety' cameras and speed humps.   We believe that most of the revenue which Capita receives is from fines and that the vast majority of those fines are from plain forgetful drivers.  A workable suggestion has now been made for you to provide us with a better service.  Unless you are able to offer an adequate justification for failing to rectify the situation within 14 days I will campaign in the national press for our proposal to be put into place; with all of the research into contractual agreements and adverse publicity and that this may confer.

Yours sincerely

Richard Lack

Tags: