Airfilter frequency

Started by Anonymous, January 2, 2004, 15:03

Anonymous

I decided to order a stock airfilter from my local dealer whilst the car was getting a oil change and a warranty replacement of the accessory drive belt and its tensioner at 25K.

Toyota's schedule says the air filter should be changed every 30K/3years.

Below is the underneath of mine at 25K and the air in North Herts is not central London.

The new one I put in was gleaming white and I will see what state it is at for my 30K service.

For a £15 consumable I would give serious consideration to changing more frequently than 30K.

Anonymous

I kid you not; mine exactly as it came out after about 15months, when I fitted my Apexi intake;

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

darrenjuggins

Phil,

do you have a tree growing in your engine or something  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Mr J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

did you not put teh filter on the Apexi LOL   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

did you throw a cell as that cant let much air throght

Anonymous

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"do you have a tree growing in your engine or something  s;-) ;-) s;-)

I do park under one on the drive, and so in the autumn I'm for ever clearing leaves from every nook and cranny   s:( :( s:(  

Quote from: "Buster"did you throw a cell as that cant let much air throght

Surprisingly, no; everything was running fine. The bottom of the airbox was pretty much stuffed full of leaves as well!

GSB

I dyno'd my car with a shitty air filter in place, (20K miles) and came away 12bhp down on stock... To be fair the air temp was in the sweltering range, and the pressure was below 950mBar so that had an effect too, but it certainly felt better once a new filter was installed  s:D :D s:D
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

aaronjb

Crikey Phil.. that's... leafy..  s:) :) s:)

I can remember what the filters on my first (almost newly imported) 300ZX were like - when I took the panels out, the underside (air side, not engine side) was thick with black crud..

So thick, in fact, that it fell off in slabs about 1/8th of an inch thick! Looked like coal dust.. very bizarre, but I dread to think how long they'd been in there! (Probably the last 12 years..)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tags: