Do Wings and Big brakes help the roadster?

Started by Anonymous, January 1, 2004, 13:49

Anonymous

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Anyone here been out on track and used the brakes fully lap after lap at full tilt / absolute latest braking point / ABS on  threshold fully through the braking approach to every corner? If you have, I am prepared to bet that you either got fade or got lots of wear.

I (and many others here) have, although I'm not sure what that proves. Yes you'll get lots of wear, but then you get even more wear if you use dedicated track pads like Mintex 1144s or Pagid RS14s, so I really don't see the point you're making there.

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "markiii"well for functional wings true, never yet seen on for the roadster that is functional though

Alex's is!   s8) 8) s8)  

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

philster_d

Mine did fade braking the hardest into the hairpin at anglesey I could definately feel it.

I havent tracked with the ebc disks and pads yet tho for a comparison.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "philster_d"Mine did fade braking the hardest into the hairpin at anglesey I could definately feel it.

I havent tracked with the ebc disks and pads yet though for a comparison.

I have not had fade as such on the road, but did get the fronts grumbling a fair bit when the pads were down to 4 or 5mm. Although there was no fade, the modulation became a bit sketchy, the pedal pressure needed went up a bit but the linearity was all over the place on one particular bit of fast road. The backs of the discs were corroded and scored at the time though. New discs and pads sorted it out completely and it has been nothing less than excellent ever since.

Looking at doing a bit of light track work this year, the brakes are not a worry.

I wonder what potential the '2 has for aerodynamic modding? There may be potential to counter some lift by work under the floor, splitter and undertray maybe? Rear diffuser? How about a Yamaha OX99-11 style wing between the headlights?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Anyone here been out on track and used the brakes fully lap after lap at full tilt / absolute latest braking point / ABS on  threshold fully through the braking approach to every corner? If you have, I am prepared to bet that you either got fade or got lots of wear.

not full tilt every time, as there is no need for that even when driving to the max, but i'm sure you being a guru of everything with 4 wheels would know that Chris. Yes everyone knows that wear is greater, its track use, like hello! but a good 15-20 laps of a 1.5-2mile track should be possible before fade sets in. And if you want to know how hard i plant it in the corners, ask Dan, Mark, Phil and others.
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

markiii

I think though that is teh difference between, "track days"

and designed for "track use" as mentioned by Chris

the whole reason on trackdays they reccomend no more than 15-20 mins at a time is that a road cars brakes aren't up to longer periods of time.

brakes designed from teh outset with a track in mind (Porsche Ceramic stuff) at teh polar opposite end of teh spectrum would allow you to stay out all day.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

they dont on the GT2 clubsport at silverstone, trust me on that  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

still they did do 1/2hr, the weak point is the fluid still
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

ChrisGB

Quote from: "kanujunkie"they dont on the GT2 clubsport at silverstone, trust me on that  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

still they did do 1/2hr, the weak point is the fluid still

I am going to braided hoses at the next service (brake fluid needs changing anyway so ideal time to do it). What is the favourite brake fluid here? I am assuming a DOT5.1?

It is when the fluid boils that the time has come for a change of system as the system has basically run out of ability to lose the heat. Maybe why the OP was covering bigger callipers?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

markiii

fluid wise get RBF600
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ChrisGB

Quote from: "kanujunkie"

not full tilt every time, as there is no need for that even when driving to the max, but i'm sure you being a guru of everything with 4 wheels would know that Chris. Yes everyone knows that wear is greater, its track use, like hello! but a good 15-20 laps of a 1.5-2mile track should be possible before fade sets in. And if you want to know how hard i plant it in the corners, ask Dan, Mark, Phil and others.

If you can only manage 15-20 laps before fade sets in, the brakes are clearly not optimised for track use. Having said that, you have to admire a design that allows you to track a F/I version of the original motor on the stock pads for any amount of laps, then behave perfectly on the road as well.

As for braking need, for track use, if you are not braking as late as is possible, everyone else will be in the corner before you unless you have a nice big gap behind before you brake. Track days are a less full on affair and as with many things, the last few % that proper track use may require can be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Chris

northernalex

Quote from: "evileye_xc"
Quote from: "markiii"well for functional wings true, never yet seen on for the roadster that is functional though

Alex's is!   s8) 8) s8)  

Phil

Yes but it makes me look like a chava..

Although when we were doing our cars with andyb.. those 10 yeaer old lads said my car looked the coolest and was faster than the others because it had a wing lol..

Oh and all that kinetic energy stuff.. i tried to forget after university lol.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

ChrisGB

Quote from: "markiii"fluid wise get RBF600

Looks good for heat resistance. Would it be wise to use a thinner DOT5.1 as these are optimised to work with ABS systems? The RBF600 is definitely the one to go for on track by the looks of it, but I have no intention of doing long hard track sessions, plenty of fast road on the cards though.

Chris

markiii

empiraclly I'm not sure,

however practical experience on teh road and track by a number of people have had no issues using teh RBF600 in teh roadster

so for me it was a no brainer

Tags: