Window Tints

Started by uktotty, March 12, 2008, 00:04

uktotty

I remember a while ago a guy had a black MR2 with window tints and everyone had a screaming fit and told him they were dangerous etc.
Well this week one of my work colleagues got nicked for window tints, seems the police were pulling over every car on that road that day with window tints and running the light test.
He got fined £30 and if they were 10% darker he would have endorsements too.
So let this be a warning it seems the police are having a clamp down at the moment.

Liz

In your force area probably - they all run different initiatives at different times - Essex just had a clamp down on the heinous crime of dodgy numberplates - that could mean you getting your plate taken away from you, not physically - but you get reported to DVLA and they can revoke your right to use that plate despite the fact that you have paid for it  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  .

I remember Essex doing a clamp down operation years ago - they set up near Southend seafront and caught the cars coming into town to croooooze for the night - the chavs spent the evening picking their tints off before they were allowed to move anywhere.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

DannyN

My boseses brother got done for window tints in his 4x4 chelsea tractor (its a landcruiser I think).
The trouble is that its stock from the factory   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Still got done tho - 30 quid fine
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

uktotty

Quote from: "Liz"In your force area probably - they all run different initiatives at different times - Essex just had a clamp down on the heinous crime of dodgy numberplates - that could mean you getting your plate taken away from you, not physically - but you get reported to DVLA and they can revoke your right to use that plate despite the fact that you have paid for it  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  .

I remember Essex doing a clamp down operation years ago - they set up near Southend seafront and caught the cars coming into town to croooooze for the night - the chavs spent the evening picking their tints off before they were allowed to move anywhere.

Have to agree with that, I got pulled the other day for mine and he told me that very story. !  s:( :( s:(

Liz

So have you put a legal one on now then!?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

aaronjb

Quote from: "DannyN"My boseses brother got done for window tints in his 4x4 chelsea tractor (its a landcruiser I think).
The trouble is that its stock from the factory   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Still got done though - 30 quid fine

That's just... ridiculous.  I'd be tempted to fight the fine on the basis that the vehicle must have passed European regulations, therefore they cannot make it 'illegal' in this country (there are similar regs on HIDs if memory serves - some implimentations are technically not legal according to the Construction & Use regs in the UK, but as they are E-marked and European type-approved, the UK can't do squat).. drag it to court and make sure the copper has to appear in court.

But I'm just mean like that.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Chris_h

I think not having the tints is the best solution!

It would put me off buying a used car, I wouldnt want to be considered as a 'tints man'. As for you Russ, who would be able to amire your shirt if you tinted up?

With regards to standard kit and failing police inspection, I was under the impression standard fit from new tints were only applied to the rear passenger windows and rear window - which can be as black as they like.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

uktotty

No tints for me mate, dont want to dull down the shirts, although I am sure some of you may wish I did.
I have the rear windows of the 4x4 tinted due to kids, dogs, stolen goods etc  s:) :) s:)

damonlaw88

Quote from: "Chris_h"I think not having the tints is the best solution!

It would put me off buying a used car, I wouldnt want to be considered as a 'tints man'. As for you Russ, who would be able to amire your shirt if you tinted up?

With regards to standard kit and failing police inspection, I was under the impression standard fit from new tints were only applied to the rear passenger windows and rear window - which can be as black as they like.

I totally agree with you. Its not worth the hassle of getting pulled over.
Had tints before thought it looked "cool" at first but then it just got annoying having to put the window down at night to come out a junction.
If its a sunny day just wear sun glasses lol Problem solved  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Like they say on Dragon's Den. I'm sorry but its a no from me so I'm out lol
2004 Black MR2 Roadster - 17" Advans RG White - Tein S Tech Springs - Trials Front bumper and Side skirts - Custom Black Headlight - Hardtop - GReddy Pillar Pod - Defi Oil Temp - Defi Oil Pressure - Defi control Link - Alpine CVA1004R - Centurion Multiregion DVD player - Acoustics Solution custom sub box - Alpine 10" type S - Alpine sat nav - Red caliper - CHE Manifold

alancdavis

Glad to see the Police are so concerned to make the roads safer,,,,,lets face it tints on windows and what can be more dangerous than a number plate with the letters wrong shape and even worse the gap between letters incorrect.     s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Come on plod,,,get a life,,,,,,,,,  s:x :x s:x
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

uktotty

Touched a nerve Alan?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Chris_h

How do you fancy yellow seats Russ?
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

alancdavis

Quote from: "uktotty"Touched a nerve Alan?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Yes,,,,,,,,,,I was recently pulled over ( blue lights and 2 tones ) by a fat plod who was no doubt trying to impress his young companion

Quote,,, "I dont like the look of your number plate."

The apprentice then spend time with a tape rule and sadly confirmed to him it was ok and legal

Basicly a boared traffic cop with nothing better to do..  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

alancdavis

Yes,,,,,,,,,,I was recently pulled over ( blue lights and 2 tones ) by a fat plod who was no doubt trying to impress his young companion

The apprentice then spend time with a tape rule and sadly confirmed to him it was ok and legal

Basicly a boared traffic cop with nothing better to do..  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

alancdavis

alancdavis

What happend here,,,,3 posts  ?????

Chris_h

Quote from: "alancdavis"What happend here,,,,3 posts  ?????

That'll be venting your anger Alan   s:D :D s:D

alancdavis

What are the rules regarding window tints,,,I have ben thinking of having the Mondeo done   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

ANY tint on the front windows is illegal end of.

Anonymous

No it's not. Max allowed is 30%, or to put it another way 70% of the light must be allowed through.

*EDIT* Although I agree with your (presumed) sentiment that any tinting on the front three bits of glass is just bloody stupid, it's just not illegal.  s;) ;) s;)

alancdavis

How about side windows,,,same 70% rule ?

Anonymous

Side, as in rear windows? They can be tinted to 100% if you like, it's only windscreens and front windows that have restrictions.

Anonymous

i have mine tinted to light smoke, i wanted them darker but thought it was just stupid as i do still want to be able to see out!!
and as for number plates, i get pulled over all the time for having slighty out of shape letters but i didnt  believe the policeman when he told me he could get it taken off me!! is this really true??

ps. sorry for essay

Anonymous

It's true. And having any kind of tints on a car that's got as low visibility as the MR2 (or pretty much any convertible) is [nice_mode]not very clever at all IMHO.[/nice_mode]

And welcome to the Club.  s8) 8) s8)

Liz

Quote from: "smithy"i have mine tinted to light smoke, i wanted them darker but thought it was just stupid as i do still want to be able to see out!!
and as for number plates, i get pulled over all the time for having slighty out of shape letters but i didnt  believe the policeman when he told me he could get it taken off me!! is this really true??

ps. sorry for essay

Why would he lie??  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   Yes it is true - they can report you to the DVLA and they can take away your right to use the plate -  welcome to the club BTW!  s:D :D s:D

Tags: