MR2 Newbie

Started by Anonymous, January 4, 2004, 16:45

Anonymous

Hi

Discovered the forum last week, so thought I'd just say hello!

Expecting delivery of my first MR2 Roadster in two weeks time, so I going to find this forum very useful! Still wading through the acronyms though - only just realised that Mr. T refers to Toyota (Doh!), but still puzzled by TTE - perhaps someone could enlighten me.

Would be interested in what MPG other MR2 owners achieve on long motorway runs - I'm currently a Golf turbodiesel owner, so somewhat spoiled in consumption terms. I'm also looking forward to attending some Midlands meets when time allows.

Regards

Alan.

filcee

TTE (I think) is Team Toyota Europe, or Toyota Team Europe.

Don't worry about MPGs.  I'm getting about 40 from mine (2003, 7k on clock) as an average.  This is about 300 miles from 26 quid of supermarket fuel.  Most of the people I know with diesels get about the same (some less!) because they drive their oil-burners so hard all the time.  I can only assume they're trying to make up for something - performance, perhaps?
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

SteveJ

Welcome to another new member - hope you find the forum informative and fun.

TTE = Toyota Team Europe (or Team Toyota Europa - can never remember which way round it is!). Also now known as TMS - Toyota Motor Sport (aka the company responsible for Toyota's F1 cars). Also developing a turbo kit for the '2 - keep an eye on the forum for more details......

SteveJ
MR2ROC Site Admin

kanujunkie

Welcome Testcard,
 your going to love your 2 when you pick it up, they are just the dogs! what colour? spec?

TTE - Toyota Team Europe   ( w www.tte.de w )

the other one you may see is TRD which is Toyota Racing Development

as for the mpg, i think i'm getting about 34mpg ish. depends on how sensible im not being at the time!!?

and welcome again  s:D :D s:D
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks for the welcome! Just a word in defence of us oil burners - 50-55mpg on a long run, admitttedly with cruise control, isn't all bad! And 130BHP and a lot of low end torque too!

But most of all, I'll miss pulling on a surgical glove when I come to fill up at a service station with diesel  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Manual MR2, Sable, black leather, no extra goodies.

Anonymous

Welcome    s:D :D s:D  

TTE is indeed Team Toyota Europe

As for MPG have a look at this link to a page on the site

http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=971&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=mpg&start=0

It may be of some use.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Testcard"Thanks for the welcome! Just a word in defence of us oil burners - 50-55mpg on a long run, admitttedly with cruise control, isn't all bad! And 130BHP and a lot of low end torque too!

But most of all, I'll miss pulling on a surgical glove when I come to fill up at a service station with diesel  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I agree, my second car is an Audi 1.9TDi & it will cruise for miles on a tank of diesel & the low end torque is impressive for an estate. Even that suprises a few Nova boys.     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Welcome.

One of the guys at work has a Golf SDI.... poor chap.  Great economy, no performance whatsoever... even slower than a Nissan Micra 1.0  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

He should try a GT TDi!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Testcard"But most of all, I'll miss pulling on a surgical glove when I come to fill up at a service station with diesel  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Silly question, but why do people do this with diesel?   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

SteveJ

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "Testcard"But most of all, I'll miss pulling on a surgical glove when I come to fill up at a service station with diesel  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Silly question, but why do people do this with diesel?   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Evil stuff - bit like penetrating oil - get's everywhere no matter how careful you are. Oh and slippery as hell - just try holding the steering wheel with diesel on your hands.

And another example of how slippery it is, remember your nickname Mr 'Kerby McKerb'?

'Nuff said?

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Mainly because if you get diesel on your hands, you can smell it for hours afterwards. But I also happen to like the feel of surgical rubber next to my skin  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Testcard"But I also happen to like the feel of surgical rubber next to my skin  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

You are going to fit in great round here   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I only went for the black leather trim because Toyota don't seem to offer surgical rubber as an option. Shame.

Slacey

Welcome, the questions have already been answered so I'll just agree that the rubber comments will have you fitting in here in no time!
(BTW, my thing is gold latex....)
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

heathstimpson

Quote from: "filcee"TTE (I think) is Team Toyota Europe, or Toyota Team Europe.

Don't worry about MPGs.  I'm getting about 40 from mine (2003, 7k on clock) as an average.  This is about 300 miles from 26 quid of supermarket fuel.  Most of the people I know with diesels get about the same (some less!) because they drive their oil-burners so hard all the time.  I can only assume they're trying to make up for something - performance, perhaps?
I wish I had got 40mpg from my 2003 2; must be driving it too hard.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Welcome Testcard  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Slacey

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "filcee"TTE (I think) is Team Toyota Europe, or Toyota Team Europe.

I wish I had got 40mpg from my 2003 2; must be driving it too hard.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Oh, don't worry Heath, Phil drives like Miss Daisy, that's all!

(Only joking Phil!)
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

My company car is a Golf GT TDi 150BHP chipped to 185BHP my god does it go, but a bit of a handfull in winter conditions. Doing on average 1000 miles per week it returns 54mpg.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SilverMSD2"
Quote from: "Testcard"Thanks for the welcome! Just a word in defence of us oil burners - 50-55mpg on a long run, admitttedly with cruise control, isn't all bad! And 130BHP and a lot of low end torque too!

I agree, my second car is an Audi 1.9TDi & it will cruise for miles on a tank of diesel & the low end torque is impressive for an estate. Even that suprises a few Nova boys.     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

A hairdryer could surprise a Nova boy   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"
Quote from: "SilverMSD2"

A hairdryer could surprise a Nova boy   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Yeah, but an MX5 isn't _that_ slow  s:) :) s:)

filcee

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"I wish I had got 40mpg from my 2003 2; must be driving it too hard.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Oh, don't worry Heath, Phil drives like Miss Daisy, that's all!

(Only joking Phil!)

Bugger! My secret's out!  :-) :-) :-)

The problem is motorway traffic.  I find the best/sensible way to get anywhere is to go with the flow, which very often means 60-65mph in the traffic, and invariably in someone's slipstream.  This equates to about 2500 rpm in top, which is nothing at all.  I reckon on the motorway I'm gtting over 50mpg, but this averages out when I'm sitting in traffic going nowhere.

Why do I drive slow on the motorway?  It means more of my brain can be active when I get where I'm going.  Sometimes I find that is helpful  s;-) ;-) s;-)
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Welcome to the club matey. I,m currently driving a Civic Type R but hope to have an MR2 in the future, having test driven one at the end of summer 2003.

Geoff.   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Thanks for all the welcome messages, and info on MR2 MPG - think I'm going to like it here  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

One final question - is the stock radio/CD in the MR2 a Sony? How's the quality - I notice that a lot of owners seem to favour switching to a more sophisticated unit.

Thanks again

Regards

Alan.

Anonymous

In the pre 03 model it was a sony... now its a Fisher Price "My First Stereo"... not good at all!   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

That's disappointing - about one step up from a Cat's Whisker then...

Tags: