Can everyone talk about why u buy MR2 not other car??

Started by Anonymous, January 5, 2004, 04:26

Anonymous

For me, i like the go-kart feeling which many people said it can give u the feeling as in a Lotus.
It's small and light 140 hp is enough and save a lot of petrol spend but still can give u a sport car feeling.
I waited for 1.5 years since i could get a new car(i was driving a Lancer1.5) till i got my MR2.
I didn't choose other car(eg. MX-5,206CC,Integra R,WRX) which was avilable during that time.
I own the car 2.5 years and i feel like driving a new car every time i drive it(never get bored).
I am glad that i made the right decision to wait for it!

Tem

There's really no alternative for affordable mid-engined 2-seater convertible...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

I ordered an Audi TT Roadster, got home one night about two weeks later, had a panic attack over spending £27k on a car, cancelled it and ordered the MR2 which was my second choice - without taking a test drive....

The rest is history  s:D :D s:D
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tem

Quote from: "Slacey"I ordered an Audi TT Roadster, got home one night about two weeks later

Where did you spend the two weeks after the order?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

Quote from: "Tem"Where did you spend the two weeks after the order?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
LOL! I suppose it does read a bit like that!

I don't know... wandering about lamenting having spent that much money?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I didn't have 27K to spend... so had a few choices for this sort of car, MX5, MG-TF thingy or MR2.

There are too many MX5's around, and the MG is a Rover... which I won't go near with a barge-pole.  So that left the MR2.

It was worlds apart from what I was driving... so it didn't need a hard sell.

I guess I could have gotten an older TT, Boxster or S2000... but they were still expensive.

dancarbon

It was my Girlfriends car, and I've adopted it  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

Always planned on getting a 2nd hand Boxter S after the celica as I thought it was about time I stopped modding motas and grew up (just a little bit   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

test drove one at a porsche dealer and although I was impressed with the power and feeling of driving something special I defo wasnt impressed with the staff at the dealership!  Admittedly I turned up in old jeans and a fleece in a highly modded celica but I had money to spend the same as anyone else (about 23k)

I spent a good 10-15 mins wandering around the cars in the showroom inspecting the multitude of chips, scratches and in one case split rear window that had gone unrectified before displaying in these plush surroundings?

Eventually one of the 'suits' full of his own self importance wandered over to see if I was going leave quietly   s:? :? s:?    I informed him of my interest in a particular mota and asked if the stone chips in question would be rectified prior to a sale?  To this he replied (down his nose) that if a purchaser was found then that any such arrangments could be agreed with them ?

HELLO! I'm here with my money!

The guy really gave the impression that if I was good then he may, and only may, agree to let me have the car  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    so that was the end of that!

Having previously owned a few toyotas ie  Supra, Celica GT, Mk 2 MR2 turbo and NA, Celica 190 etc and having enjoyed driving everyone   s:D :D s:D   I decided to give Mr T another go.............and the rest i history

As to have I grown up?...............well...........I'm pickin up the Trial kit from the sprayer on friday...say no more   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Ive always liked the MR2, since the MK1. I used to walk past a house as a kid that had a white MK1 and i liked the way that the words TOYOTA reflected on the rear glass (come on, i was young!). Then the MK2 came out and i loved it... before getting the roadster i was looking at getting one of the late MK2's but in the end managed to 'just' afford a brand new roadster.... so its a boy hood dream for me really! nuff said!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"I ordered an Audi TT Roadster, got home one night about two weeks later, had a panic attack over spending £27k on a car, cancelled it and ordered the MR2 which was my second choice - without taking a test drive....

The rest is history  s:D :D s:D

That my friend is EXACTLY what we did!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"I ordered an Audi TT Roadster, got home one night about two weeks later, had a panic attack over spending £27k on a car

Have you noticed they now sell a slower cheaper version, with only 150PS for £21.5K?

Slacey

Quote from: "phil4"Have you noticed they now sell a slower cheaper version, with only 150PS for £21.5K?
Yeah, but after driving the 225 I wasn't overly impressed... I expect that new one is dog slow. Wouldn't mind the 3.2 V6 though....

filcee

It's going to be the new capri isn't it  s:roll: :roll: s:roll: . ISTR there was a 3.0 V6 (later a 2.8 V6 injection), 2.0, 1.6 and 1.3.  I can see it now, getting hassled in the outside lane by a TT with a 3.2 V6 bodykit & whizz-wheels but 1.8 turbo-four with narrow exhaust hiding under the bonnet!
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

I wouldn't be either... The 180PS roadster is slower than our MR2, so at a guess the 8.9secs for the 150PS one is going to feel even slower.... but then if you've got to have a TT, it's a lot of money saved.

Anonymous

And to be fair, the 2 is COMPLETELY alive compared to the TT, although the TT limits may be that little higher. I REALLY wasn't that impressed by the TT at all. Looks nice, but thats it.........

juansolo

Quote from: "perry190"I defo wasnt impressed with the staff at the dealership!  Admittedly I turned up in old jeans and a fleece in a highly modded celica

I had exactly the opposite experience at Brooklands JCT600 in Leeds (Porsche, Ferrari, Lotus & Masterati all under one roof).  A friend was having something trivial fixed on his slightly battered looking Elise.  Expecting to have to leave it I followed down in the MX-5.  So as you do I was wondering arould having a nosey.  I was dressed as a scruffy bugger also in nasty cheap trainers, jeans and a T.

One of the Ferrari salesmen came over while I was having a look at a Lotus 340R (awesome car BTW, lots and lots of flaws, but awesome all the same to drive).  He asked me what I had and I pointed at the MX-5 and mentioned that I was pondering buying a Westfield.  At this point the guy became very enthusiastic and almost insisted I took the 340R out, even just to comapre it against a Westfield!  I politely declined but he was an example of a very, very good salesman.  I would always consider going back if I was thinking of getting one.

On the flipside we've had nothing but pain with their service department with my brothers car.  Shame really 'cos they have the sales side of things nailed.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

juansolo

The TT is an excersise in car styling and design.  A car for people to wear if you like.  It's as close to being a sports car as the modern Beetle is.  

Hateful things the pair of them.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

I must admit I had exacty the opposite experience when I visited a Lotus dealer (SGTs Taplow) to take a look at the Elise a couple of years back, before I knew it I was on a test drive and a part ex price had been agreed on my then Mk 2 MR2  :-) :-) :-)

It was only the fact that I did my knee in attemting to get in and out of the Elise that helped me decide I was just too old for a go kart  :-) :-) :-)

Hope4Sun

Had a MX5 for about 2 years with a few tweaks here and there and then it came time to buy a new car, plus some good property deals left cash burning a hole in my pocket so to speak.

Test drove Audi TT, Boxster, Elise, VX220, new MX5. Elise and VX220 were completly impractical for everyday use, plus being tall a pain to get in and out of. The Audi did not have a hard top option back then and the Porsche was to much money with a hard top as they wanted nealry £5k for that option alone. The MX5 was ok but felt to much the same. Then a friend mentioned the  new MR2, which i had never seen or really heard of   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  .

A local dealer had just got one of the first demo's in, but blew me out for the test drive as it was raining and i did not look like i had any money, etc, etc   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  . Plus they offered me 2k for my MX5 ( i sold it for £6500   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ), Another dealer got there demo car a week later, drove it (scared the sales man hehehe), paid far to much for the car  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  and every extra possible (not many back then!!) and waited nearly 5 months for her.

Now i miss her like crazy   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  !! Especially when the sun is out!

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

MRMike

Long winded story how I got into my 2.  When I worked as a stockbroker had an S2000 on order, I then decided I didn't like what I was doing and went back to uni.  Never really noticed the MR2 until the 03 came out (no disrespect to other 02 owners intended!) Anyways wasn't really in a position to get an MR2 until I finished uni.  So started working in London and bought the 2 after various dealers refused me test drives.  I then subsequently quit that job, now I'm back at uni! With a 2 which is great!

I chose the 2 because pre-requisites were Soft top, RWD, good performance, reasonable insurance, and good looks.  When you look at that list it looks a bit oxymoronic..Performance..good looks..and reasonable insurance?? Get out of here! But the 2 really delivers on all those things.  I really do believe it's one of the most overlooked cars on sale today, and certainly one of the best designed.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

I drove all the usual suspects apart from the MGF, cos the seat is too high and the mx5 cos it's just too girly.   And I didn't even consider the too-ugly-for-words Z3 (although, unbelievably, the Z4 is even uglier)

The S2000 is fast but unusable and the handling was a bit wayward.
The TTR gave me claustrophobia with the top up and was just too ugly.
The Elise (118 hp) was out for everyday motoring as it had a crap roof ann no a/c option (essential, imho, especially for damp or rainy days).
The VX220 (non-turbo at the time) had the same issues as the elise, but also looked like a way to loose money fast.
The Boxster was just too expensive when options were added (however, I have a 2005/6 model on order!)

As I was driving into the docks alot, I liked the idea of the SMT, so when I saw Trade-Sales had metalic SMTs with leather & a/c for £16k, I couldn't resist that bargain.

Comer

I couldn't afford a Lotus   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

aaronjb

Along Michael (Comer)'s lines, it was pretty much the only decent rear wheel drive sports car I could afford  s:D :D s:D  (Out of my range were the ones I was really after - S2000, 350Z, RX-8)

I test drove an MG TF 160 (which is faster than the '2 on paper) and hated it - really cramped cabin (really cramped), horrible clutch (nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, engaged), horrible throttle action (nothing, nothing, nothing, wide-open) and horrible gearbox (like stirring jelly)..

Next I lined up test drives in a '2 (eventually, after the dealer stopped playing silly buggers with me) and an MX-5..

I never made it to the Mazda garage  s:D :D s:D

Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Came to mine by a bit of 1) Insider knowledge (I had already owned 2 Mk1's and also driven the Mk3 at Brand Hatch on a Toyota On-Track day), 2) a bit of refincancing and 3) complete luck!!!

The Mk1 was a cracking little car and I was loathed to get rid to be honest, but it was getting a little ragged around the edges and was costing me a fortune to keep going. Shame, cos I loved it. Nice colour too!!!  s8) 8) s8)    s:D :D s:D  

The second bit is that we remortgaged the house and made a HELL of a lot more money on it that both me and the missus were expecting. So, with the money we made, I paid off a few debts, got myself in financial clear water and realised that I could replace the Mk1 with not just a Mk2, but maybe even with a Mk3!!!

So, next thing was to have a look. Autotrader came out and it was the first car I looked at. It was in the paper that day, was the other side of the country, but what sold it to me was that it had 4000 miles on it and it was one of the first registered in this country!!!! Off I went, had a look, took it out for test there and then and the cheque was in the post that day!!! Picked her up, fully serviced, stamped and valetted 5 days later and have NEVER looked back since. I thought I could have fun in the Mk1, but this little beastie, this side of an Elise is the best fun I have EVER had in a car.............

Liz

I had to change from my beloved Calibra when it started spurting out oil and water, got a Toyota Paseo, nice little car but I wanted a MR2, test drove a Mk2, nice but not what I wanted so my story is much the same, test drove the MX-5 - not impressed particulary when it backfired on the test drive, and it was new!! Went to see the MG's and the salesmen could not be arsed and the quality of the vehicle was cruddy.  I had my heart set on the '2 from the beginning so I jiggled a few finances and was able to buy it, a decision that I do not regret whatsoever, the car is 3 in March and when I checked today has done 35,500 miles, but I would not change it for the world.  I might go for a test drive in a RX-8 though, just to see what they are like, and the fact that I would be going there in the '2 might make them think that I am serious about buying one! But I will know the truth!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Tags: