Can everyone talk about why u buy MR2 not other car??

Started by Anonymous, January 5, 2004, 04:26

Chris

I had a xr2 that was ok, but had just been broken into and was gonna cost a lot to be repaired.  Then I changed jobs at work, to one that came with a car allowance, and then it was just a case of finding a car a liked in the budget.

I never tried the mx5 as it looked too old.  I didn't like the ride in the mgf (pre tf days) and couldn't afford an elise or tt, so in despair i was looking at a few car sites on the web and the mr2 seemed to be coming out with favorable reviews/comments, so I went for a look at the local dealers and liked what I saw.

The trouble came in trying to arrange a test drive, but as a few others found, I don't think they took a scruffy young lad in an xr2 seriously   s:x :x s:x  
However, found a dealer that did, went out for probably no more that 10 minutes and signed on the dotted line when we got back - no haggling or anything!!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    He must've loved me, as I signed up for their mega high apr finance as well!!
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

I had no problems with a test drive - was given the keys and told to park it up when i get back... was gone about an hour screaming round the roundabouts of MK swaring my head off about how *bleep*ing good this *bleep*ing car is!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Weird that Kris, cos I was doing the same around Brands when I took one out there! The look on the guys face when I started swearing my head off was hilarious!!! He said that it was the highest praise anyone had given the car that day!!!!  s8) 8) s8)    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"I might go for a test drive in a RX-8 though, just to see what they are like

There is an RX-8 outside my office today in the carpark, first one I've seen in the flesh, so to speak... I think I like it! Although the 350Z will always win in the looks department IMHO. Ooh, and totally off topic, does the 1.3 engine of the RX-8 mean that it qualifies for less road-tax?! Or has all that changed now, I can't keep up!

I was looking for a used MGF back in the summer of 2000 for about £13k... then saw a double page ad in Autotrader for Trade-sales (who says advertising doesn't work!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) who had quite a few brand new MR2s in stock for only another couple of grand...popped up there, sat in one..then made a snap decision to buy the '2 without a test drive!

I had already read the EVO review though, and they know what they're talking about - as I found out on the drive home!   s:D :D s:D  

Tim

Anonymous

Quote from: "c_a_r_t_e_r"There is an RX-8 outside my office today in the carpark, first one I've seen in the flesh, so to speak... I think I like it!

So did my boss... until he read the bit of the review about reliability... which paraphrasing basically said "too new to tell, but as long as you remember this is a highly stressed race bred engine, you'll get what you expect out of it".

Anonymous

OK, dont flame me here, but as you know we are looking (trying to talk ourselves out of it) at other cars.  (think we are definiately keeping the 2 though and probably just selling the focus now though)...anyway.

Took an Astra Convertible out (same sort of spec as the A4, thought we would give it ago). We had the 2.0 Turbo version.  Now I have to say, that having never driven anything other than the 2 and two 1.6i focus's I was fairly impressed with its power. Quite nice really for a GM

The dealer obviously loved the 2, as he kept saying things like "go on boot it, you have a 2 so you need to compare it".  The best bit came when we where a these lights with a nova boy next to us giving it looks.  The dealer sat in the bag giving him evils telling me to "ave im!".  Well I booted it, and all that happened was the front wheels spun, then the whole car cut out, then it woke up and took off!.  All this nova boy saw was the turbo badge!.

Had to laugh, twas quick, but wasnt the 2!

MRMike

The road tax will be really quite high as it's based on emissions, whilst they have improved the rotary engine it's still not great in emissions.  Apparently all new owners are told to check the Oil at every fill up! I know most manuals say this but apparently its needed on the RX8.  I can recall one guy getting his money back because he was concerned with the longevity of the engine. The rotary engines consume more oil than conventional because of the need to seal the apex seals. It's a fantastic engine the "renesis" I just hope in the long term it won't need the rebuilds that the RX7's required, as soon as they hit 45 k miles they were pretty much shot.  But yeah they look nice! Saw a 350 Z at middlehurst the other day in skyline blue with Nismo wheels...whoa!
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

I have tried the 160hp  tf Mg on a twisted bad road and  clattered my teeth wildely...besides it was too cramped and the seat is sideaway...strange and  very uncomfortable. I have liked the ride (except for comfort) but I want to try also the Opel speedster and the Mr2.

The speedster was a fast test... I could not get in (1.87) .  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I have tried the mr2 (2003 model), and it was love at first sight. The car is very well designed, and having been for ages a motorcycle man, I even love the two big suitcases.   s:) :) s:)  
   I don't like too much the engine and hate the gearbox (the ratios are tooooo long)   s:( :( s:(   but I'm going to improve that with a turbo.   s:P :P s:P

Anonymous

cambelt snapped on my vauxhall tigra and after had new engine it never felt the same,so took the 2' for a test drive(sales man was brill didnt even have to ask).didnt think i was gonna get the chance to drive until he pulled over and gave me the keys.i was hooked, i had to have this car and 1 week later i did. that was 2 years ago and never looked back.just wish a had tried to put a couple of extras on before i signed the paperwork but i didnt know about the lowering springs and stuff when i brought it.

markiii

console yourself, 2 years ago they weren't on the options list anyway.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

noddynurdle

Hows this for a fairy story (but true)
About 3 or so years ago my business went bust   s:( :( s:(   and the buggers took my tigra   s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(   off me ( did not owe any thing on it though) when i went bankrupt. I wanted a car that was different so i got a 24 year old spitfire 1500  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   s8) 8) s8)    cos  i always want a rag top sports car and it was all i could afford. when the 2 came out   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   i fell in love with it but alas it where but a dream (no credit)  s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(  .
after 3 years of good fun but a lot of maintance on the spitty my bankruptcy finished  s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)  . So i tried to get finance, it was a struggle but managed get a limit which would take me into the pre-face lift model  s:) :) s:)  .
heres the happy ending
the day the finance came through managed to find on autofingie site a w reg (2000) mr2 with wait for it 5500 miles on the clock full service history  s:) :) s:)    s:D :D s:D    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
bought the car after just seening no test drive  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
it's bloody great  s:) :) s:)    s:D :D s:D    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
payed my first payment other day  s:( :( s:(  
i have only had it a month but already "moded" the little darling with some natty non OEM valve caps but may spray these a nice chill red to match
we all know red ones are the fastest  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
yours in friendship
glen
(noddy)
it might go off it you touch it
2000 red/black second hand had 5500 on clock
now got 38000.
MODS after market valve caps, dynamatted focal 165a speakers, visor pluged, painted calipers and a set of Victor\'s bags.
oh and me nodding dog called spot.

Tem

Quote from: "noddynurdle"s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   s8) 8) s8)    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(    s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)    s:D :D s:D    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:) :) s:)    s:D :D s:D    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:( :( s:(    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

So many smilies...so little time...I mean...enjoy it!
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

zud

My journey to a '2 also begins with a 1500 Spitfire... one that I owned 15+ years ago.  My first daughter put an end to that, but it left me wanting another roadster one day.  

For years I wanted an MX-5, but needed a family car... until my wife got a Focus which was more roomy than my car!  I had an Alfa 156 Selespeed and loved it, so quite fancied an Alfa Spider or GTV when I next changed.  But then I had problems with the Selespeed, and got the hump with the dealers, so decided against another Alfa.  

By this time, my mate was on his 3rd MX-5 so it seemed like he'd done those.  I still wasn't convinced about having a 2 seater with a family, but the dealer that sold us the Focus happened to have a Celica and a '2 in stock.

The Celica was a nice car, but (as my wife was keen to point out) I drove it like an old man... it just didn't inspire me.  

Npw, I didn't want an SMT because of the problems I'd had with Alfa's Selespeed, so decided I'd just test drive the SMT to see what i thought of the '2, then look for a manual.   The dealer just gave us the keys and reminded us to take the top down (it was a nice day for January!) so off we went.  After two minutes my wife was telling me to slow down... the '2 just said drive me!!  The SMT felt a bit slow changing up after the Alfa, but everything else felt perfect (you all know the feeling!).

I was still tempted to wait for a manual '2, but the Alfa was due for service, MOT and tyres and the dealer offered me a reasonable price to change.  Also, I do a lot of rush-hour driving, so the SMT had some appeal... so I went for it!!

Apparently, in the days before picking up the '2 I wondered whether the Alfa would remain my favourite car   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    Something that now seems riduculous, and something my wife enjoys reminding me of on a regular basis.    s:D :D s:D

Ooops, that's a it of an essay!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

I'd been pootling around in a Rover 100, had just made some money on my house and decided I need a change! Having returned to live by the sea it was Vital (with a capital V) that I had a soft-top. There's a time in every girl's life when she should have a sporty little number, and this is it! Spent ages deliberating - set myself a limit of about £10k (don't laugh) .... drove an MGF and hated it, couldn't wait to get out of the heap. Considered MX5, briefly but they're just so common - and I wanted a head turner. Played around on Parkers online and it gave me a list of top cars for me - Elise came up tops. Thought I'd best drive one just so I could scare the pants off myself and therefore knock it off the list - but absolutely loved it. Was very very very tempted but just in time realised that they're just not right for everyday use. Had a blast in a VX220 - great fun, but just didn't trust it. Then a spur of the moment test drive in a local 2 demonstrator and loved it but the dealer just wouldn't play the game - "the best I can do is £200 off RRP" - I don't think so somehow! Tried a different dealer and had my heart set on sable, but would have had to wait (I'm a girl, an therefore allowed to be impatient). So, after 4 1/2 hours serious negotiating got myself a lagoon blue, hardtop, air con, leather etc, mats, hardtop cover etc etc - and a damned good price if i say so myself. Crap trade-in on the Rover but to be honest was just glad to get shot of it as it wasn't far off it's final journey! so much for my limit of £10k!!

Love my 2 - it turns heads, it flys, but still feels like a "proper car" when you're sitting in it. what more can a girl ask for?!   s:P :P s:P

Anonymous

Quote from: "juansolo"I had exactly the opposite experience at Brooklands JCT600 in Leeds (Porsche, Ferrari, Lotus & Masterati all under one roof).  A friend was having something trivial fixed on his slightly battered looking Elise.  Expecting to have to leave it I followed down in the MX-5.  So as you do I was wondering arould having a nosey.  I was dressed as a scruffy bugger also in nasty cheap trainers, jeans and a T.

One of the Ferrari salesmen came over while I was having a look at a Lotus 340R (awesome car BTW, lots and lots of flaws, but awesome all the same to drive).  He asked me what I had and I pointed at the MX-5 and mentioned that I was pondering buying a Westfield.  At this point the guy became very enthusiastic and almost insisted I took the 340R out, even just to comapre it against a Westfield!  I politely declined but he was an example of a very, very good salesman.  I would always consider going back if I was thinking of getting one.

I agree, I went there with a girl from work when she went to pick up her elise.

Salesman was great.

aaronjb

Quote from: "swp"what more can a girl ask for?!   s:P :P s:P

Usually the moon on a stick.. a rich husband.. clothes clothes clothes.. jewellery...  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Aaron (who's kidding, honest.. and will make no more off topic posts on this thread...  s:D :D s:D  )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

yes please!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

and a horse?

and a garage for the 2 to sleep in?

Anonymous

Crikey, you don't want much do you?

You forgot the tall, dark, handsome rich guy too haven't you?.......

(By the way, that DEFINATELY isn't me!!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"Usually the moon on a stick.. a

That's the fave round here.... just not enough moons to go round though.... even if we could get it on a stick for 'em.

Anonymous

QuoteYou forgot the tall, dark, handsome rich guy too haven't you?.......

.... doesn't have to be tall - if we're talking about Robbie Williams!

Like most girlies on work on the basis of IYDAYDG (If you don't ask, you don't get) - nowt wrong with that.

seriously off-topic now, consider legs to be well and truly slapped   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

I've had 2 MK1s and 4 MK2s, so the decision to change to a convertible was an easy one when the Roadster was launched.

One Wednesday evening in mid-March 2000 my dealer in Stratford-upon-Avon phoned me at the office. They had just come back fron Pilsbury with their demonstrator and wondered if I could go over in the morning and test it for them. Couldn't get to them until Saturday morning (2.5 days seemed like 2.5 months). Beautifil crisp sunny morning. Full tank of petrol and told to go and have some fun. Hood down, 100 yards down the the road and I was hooked! Couldn't give it any real welly as it wasn't run in.

As an MR2dc member we could get preferrential treatment from MrT by being allowed to jump the queue with our order, they just needed to know which dealer. The best trade-in deal for my Mk2 netted me an extra £2,250 and the order placed. From the test-drive to collection took 3 weeks including all the negotiations.

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

18 months ago I was running three cars, a family estate car, a car to get me to work and a toy for weekends and competition use.

After having done this for seven years, I sat down and worked out that work was encroaching too much on my play time, and having a load of money sitting in the garage, not being used enough, was a waste.

After much heart searching, I sold my beloved 2.0 16v Caterham Vauxhall, as it was rarely seeing day light.......

Having got the fleet down to two cars I thought about a replacement for my commuting car, that might go someway to replace the open top nimble car that was the 7.

I was well impressed with all the magazine reports of the MR2 and took a test drive.  Came away trying to find a reason for not getting one, and couldn't!!

Okay, it is nowhere near the performance of the 7 ( which put out 210 bhp ) but as an every day car, I believe that it is second to none for fun and value.

Don't really want to think about the next change....

Andrew

Anonymous

I was in the market for a convertible, I liked the look compared to the MX-5 and MG TF. I was sold on it as soon as I test drove it - end of story.

Anonymous

Quote from: "perry190"It was only the fact that I did my knee in attemting to get in and out of the Elise that helped me decide I was just too old for a go kart  :-) :-) :-)

s:D :D s:D  That's always the problem for everyone to get in a Elise not just u.
or I could said the 2 is a more refined Elise, agree??  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Chris

Quote from: "Roger H"As an MR2dc member we could get preferrential treatment from MrT by being allowed to jump the queue with our order, they just needed to know which dealer.

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

I'm a DC member but didn't know that!!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    wish I had when I bought mine!   s8) 8) s8)    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Tags: