Gearbox Oil

Started by Anonymous, January 6, 2004, 08:25

Anonymous

Anyone know how easy it is to add/replace/get-to the gearbox oil? (and no its not something im going to try myself, just wondering)

Anonymous

*cough* bump *cough*

Slacey

Just looking at the layout of the car I would say it is fairly difficult... where are Mark and Martin with their manuals???  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

markiii

I'm just too good to you.

m http://spydermagazine.com/2002/Nov/tran ... ansoil.htm m

No that hard.

It's next on my list.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"I'm just too good to you.

m http://spydermagazine.com/2002/Nov/tran ... ansoil.htm m

No that hard.

It's next on my list.

Thanks!   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

Anonymous

More tricky to get to nuts and bolts... yikes.

Anonymous

Just wanted to know if it was hard or not so i can try to guess what price the dealer will charge for putting an additive in there (if they will do it   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ).

Slacey

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Just wanted to know if it was hard or not so i can try to guess what price the dealer will charge for putting an additive in there (if they will do it   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ).
What additive is this then? And why?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"What additive is this then? And why?

Cos im not happy with the way it feels and the dealers say its normal (like feck it is... im sure it was you who also said it felt clunky at North Weald?). Just want to stick my magic formula in there to smooth it out a bit!

markiii

baby oil really won't work you know.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"baby oil really won't work you know.

damn!   s:( :( s:(

aaronjb

Ewww - additive is an evil word  s;) ;) s;)

Do you know what gear oil is in there now? I've always found Redline MT-90 to be very good, certainly smoothed out the 'box in my 300 nicely (which was a bit clunky in the extreme - might have helped if I'd bothered to adjust the clutch mind!). Not too expensive either, and probably much better than whatever Toyota will supply..

Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted etc  s:) :) s:)

Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Slacey

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"(like feck it is... im sure it was you who also said it felt clunky at North Weald?)
I can't remember TBH  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I thought mine (B&M) was a bit clunky, but after fitting the tall momo knob before I modified it, it felt fine again, so I'm happy mine is OK.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"I thought mine (B&M) was a bit clunky, but after fitting the tall momo knob before I modified it, it felt fine again, so I'm happy mine is OK.

No, yours is just unusable for a mear mortal like me!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Slacey

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"No, yours is just unusable for a mear mortal like me!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
You need to try it again Kris, I'll admit it could be a pig at times to get into first and second, but this new momo knob has heightened the shaft by about half an inch and it makes all the difference - I'm really pleased with it  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

first and second were fine, it was when i was speeding up that sliproad trying to change into third that was the problem. I think its cos it doesnt go back to centre like a standard box... maybe its just me   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Slacey

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"first and second were fine, it was when i was speeding up that sliproad trying to change into third that was the problem. I think its cos it doesnt go back to centre like a standard box... maybe its just me   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Yeah, you have to feed it in, I expect you were slotting fifth  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

Interesting I don't have that problem. Sean yuo don't have the first revision by any chance as I think your is older than mine.

Slacey

Quote from: "markiii"Interesting I don't have that problem. Sean yuo don't have the first revision by any chance as I think your is older than mine.
Not sure of the version, had it about 12 months now, it originally came via Rob @ No Limit. You don't have to feed it in as such (I don't), I just advise anyone who hasn't used one before to do that, otherwise they invariably find fifth.
You'll have to give it a try at the Treasure Hunt (if I don't see you earlier) and see what you think.

Tem

Quote from: "phil4"More tricky to get to nuts and bolts... yikes.

Actually it's very easy. I did it without lifting the car at all and mine's lowered with Sportivo. Just lay on the ground, looking in there right in front of the left side rear wheel and you can easily open the bolts. Mine weren't even stuck at all.

Then just use the pump to get the new oil in there.

And just in case...open the refill bolt first! If you drain it just to notice you can't get the refill bolt open, you can't drive or tow the car.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

zud

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "Slacey"What additive is this then? And why?

Cos im not happy with the way it feels and the dealers say its normal (like feck it is... im sure it was you who also said it felt clunky at North Weald?). Just want to stick my magic formula in there to smooth it out a bit!

I seem to remember they used to recommend saw-dust to quieten down gear boxes... but only when you're about to sell the car!    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Tags: