Which boot rack?

Started by Ernie Ball, April 3, 2008, 13:46

Ernie Ball

Any reasons to prefer one of these over the other?

This one (from an unknown manufacturer):

Or this one, from Classic Carriers:

The prices are close enough so as not to be an issue.

carl_evs

Without a closer look it is hard to say.....but judging from the pictures the 2nd looks like it mounts better and I would have thought you would have wanted the raised bit at the back instead of the front like the first pic?!

Surely you dont want luggage slipping off the back (I know it will be strapped also!!).
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

kentsmudger

I always wondered abot that bar - You don't want bags slipping off, but you wouldn't want your bag in the back of your head in a shunt either. Luggage (mostly) stays strapped on roof-racks ok, so I think it's supposed to go at the front?
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

roger

I would have thought the first one was a bit shallow. I've got something similar but deeper. Bought it 2nd hand from a member so it came off an MR2 (but IIRC the paperwork said it was for a BMW).

Never used it, but Simon has on his honeymoon!!!

I also think the bar should be at the front, that's how we mounted it, any way.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

SimonC_Here

And very good it was to.

I was a little worried on the way down Europe and checked the straps/attachments at every stop.
It was still fine when we got to Switzerland. Didn't bother checking after the first stop on the way back.

Quite easy to fit, although easier with 2 people. And it fitted on Roger's  with his wing.

And raised bit to the front. I don't mind pulling over and picking up my luggage if it falls off but I reall don't want it hitting me in the back of the head in an accident.

Simon

carl_evs

I would imagine under impact you would have to worry about the whole thing coming forward never mind just the luggage!!

Depending on the force of the impact I wonder whether that bar would do much to protect you anyway?

My way of thinking was that majority of the time the luggage is forced rearwards due to airflow so will be pushed back, therefore having the bar to stop this....wasn't thinking in accident terms as that is worse case scenario and probably 99% of the time unlikely. You know what I mean?!
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

kentsmudger

Saw some educational films about unsecured loads on a driver training course at work a few years ago, some examples were a bit dramatic. Imagine van crash tests with cameras tracking loose items inside. They made a big impression (groan) and I always think carefully about loading vehicles.

Easy tips, 1- less damage is  done if load is already up against rear of bulkhead or seat-back, rather than being allowed to fly into them.
2- Use load straps or nets in estates, hatchbacks or MPVs
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

normanh

I have the rack in the top picture, can be a bit of a beast to fit and its not cheap its made by an Italian company - LA Prealpina,I bought if from a company in Scotland called the Roof Rack Shop, brill service and fast delivery had mine just under 2 years now. I think the weight loading limit is about 20 Kg of the top of my head. Basically it clamps to the edges of the engine cover and does need a bit of protection for the paintwork, I found - not supplied so be warned but I found a small piece of rubber sheeting did the job fine.

Its construction is really good sound and well finished.

normanh

Paulpickerill

I have a rack very much like the second one, but in black.

I mount it with the bar nearest the seats, although it is easier to get tie straps/bungees around it with it fitted as in the picture and if the bungee slips when you're fitting it, you don't get hit in the face moutning it as shown in the piccy.

I use tape on the boot lid, but it does wear the paint on the back panel when I closed the boot - should have taped that too.

Paul

enid_b

just to throw my 2 penneth into the ring.

after giving it some considerable thought with my 3 brain cells, i think that the bar should be nearest the seats.

yes i concede that most of the time the wind will push the bags backwards, but certainly the one time you have a bump in it i would want any additional protection that is offered.

come to think of it, cosmetically you wont see the bar looking out of place as it should be concealed by les baggage n'est ce pas?

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

kanujunkie

personally i think the classic carrier spreads the load better on the thin metal of the rear deck
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

It's all about 'elf n safety! It's best to have the bar at the front so if some bastard runs into the back of you then they have to scrape your shreddies off of their windscreen   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Mobile BBQ... nice   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

Tem

Quote from: "kanujunkie"personally i think the classic carrier spreads the load better on the thin metal of the rear deck

Yeah. And it also mounts so that it might actually stay in place, if you hit something. The other looks like it might have issues holding in an accident and might shoot itself on the heads of the people in the car.  s:? :? s:?

Classic Carriers might have similar issues staying in place, if you hit something sideways. But that would just make it fly away from the car, not towards your head.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

normanh

I have had no problems with my rack, I like the back bar facing the rear window as I simply fasten a case to the rack with a couple of looped ratchet straps.I use a solid body case at least it olds the straps better.

normanh

Anonymous

I've got the Classic Carriers one, I bought it on here second hand.

If I'm using it to carry a suitcase then I fit it as the picture with the raised bar at the back. With the raised bar at the front you can mount a Thule bike carrier to it so that it clears the roof.

Anonymous

Good point about the shifting of the load in an accident. However, I've had several older sports cars with luggage racks and they always seemed to have the raised section at the rear ...... could just have been fashion though.

BS

Anonymous

I ran this Thule rack for a year or two with no problems at all including motorway+ speeds, hard braking and acceleration, it could take quite a bit of weight (did four wheels and tyres one track day  s:wink: :wink: s:wink: )

StuM

Quote from: "Les"I ran this Thule rack for a year or two.....

Hi Les,

Do you have any more detail on this - I couldn't find any reference to Thule MR2 racks after much Googling!  It looks to be a better overall size than the one at the top of this thread.

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Anonymous

Quote from: "StuM"
Quote from: "Les"I ran this Thule rack for a year or two.....

Hi Les,

Do you have any more detail on this - I couldn't find any reference to Thule MR2 racks after much Googling!  It looks to be a better overall size than the one at the top of this thread.

Cheers,
Stu

No problem Stu.

Check it out HERE

Les

StuM

Hi All,

I bought the rack in the link above - thanks for that Les.  One thing...

normanh - you mentioned using rubber sheeting for where it clamps to protect the paintwork.  What type of sheeting did you use?  The rack might get its first run out this weekend as we're off to a wedding   s:D :D s:D  

Thanks,
Stu
Stu M

StuM

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"Any reasons to prefer one of these over the other?

This one (from an unknown manufacturer):

The prices are close enough so as not to be an issue.

Ernie,

I bought one of these and fitted/used it over the weekend.  Easy to put together and well made.  It comes with stickers to put on the boot where the rack clamps to, which look rubbish when the rack is not in place!  It has sponge protectors that stick to the feet.

One surprise for me was that as well as the feet clamps, you need to hook up a strap to the leading edge of the rear deck lid to stop it sliding backwards - I note that they don't have these on in the promotional photos!

The rack is a decent size and easy enough to tie straps around for luggage - I have a couple of ratchet straps that worked well.

I have to say that I did keep looking in the mirror a lot to check it was all still there - totally unnecessary paranoia that though   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

One other thing - I bought a 'dry sack' cover to slip over our suitcase in case it rained as this is waterproof.  Probably a good investment, depending on what you plan to carry.

We are camping in Cornwall in July, so am pleased to have the rack as it makes the 2 an option for that trip now.

I paid £189 incl postage from the place linked to above.

Luggage capacity is 30kg according to the instructions that came with it.

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

Phil1888

Hi Folks

Heading off to France next month - Has anyone bought one of these from EBay?

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MR2-00-TOYOTA-ROA ... .m14.l1318 m

or these

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Boot-luggage-rack ... .m14.l1318 m

If so , any reports?

I have looked at Roofrackshop ones at £189 - are they that much better?

I intend taking a fairly large case - other half going with me - need lots of shoe space.

Cheers

Phil.

ps Anyone selling a 2nd hand one out there ????

aaronjb

A dozen posts down in the Private Sales forum:  l viewtopic.php?f=37&t=21265 l
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

StuM

Bought mine (as above post) from roofrackshop.  Thought it was good, but got it out to use again this weekend and two of the plastic locking covers have snapped on the inside, rendering them useless.  Never dropped or bashed, bit of a mystery really, but looking at them, they are very brittle and vunerable.

I would have bought the Classic Carrier one, (which was about 315 Euros when I enquired) but needed it too fast to wait for delivery from Holland.  Wish I had now...

Given the weakness of £ vs Euro, Markiii's one is a good deal.

Cheers
Stu
Stu M

Tags: