Which boot rack?

Started by Ernie Ball, April 3, 2008, 13:46

StuM

Quote from: "StuM"Bought mine (as above post) from roofrackshop.  Thought it was good, but got it out to use again this weekend and two of the plastic locking covers have snapped on the inside, rendering them useless.

I should add that I e-mailed Roofrackshop this morning and they apologised for any inconvenience and put two replacements in the post - I can't say fairer than that, so would recommend the company.  Maybe I just got unlucky with the two covers..   s:? :? s:?  

Cheers
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Phil1888

Cheers Stu - think it might be the RoofRack Shop one - think it look better on the eye than the others.

Did it take a reasonable size suitcase on it - does it strap on okay even with it overhanging?

Was your dry sack heatproof, as its above the cooling vents on the boot?

Cheers

Phil.

StuM

Quote from: "Phil1888"Cheers Stu - think it might be the RoofRack Shop one - think it look better on the eye than the others.

Did it take a reasonable size suitcase on it - does it strap on okay even with it overhanging?

Was your dry sack heatproof, as its above the cooling vents on the boot?

Cheers

Phil.

Hi Phil,

It clamps on at the sides and then there are straps and a hook that go to the front lip of the boot (ie. would stop any rearward movement).  Seems very sturdy once on.  I am actually off camping in ours (yes, nice weather!   s:? :? s:?  ) so the rack is on now - I'll take some pics and post next week if you're not in a huge hurry.

They give you stickers that go where the feet clamp on and the feet have spong pads, but I've put some rubber sheet (a cut up whoopie cushion in fact!) underneath too to protect the paint.  The stickers are clear with La Prealpina written on and look just alright when the racks off.

The pic someone else put up (on a silver 2) near the top of this thread shows a big case.  They optimistically say 30kg, but not sure about that weight on the boot lid.

Dry sack.. there is actually a good clearance between rack and boot, so plenty of ventilation I'd say.

Visibility is good with the rack in place... and non-existant when you put a big bag on.  Get used to using your wing mirrors!

Get some decent ratchet straps and the bag is held on very well.

Hope that helps.  Anything else just ask - and I'll stick some pics up next week.

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

Ernie Ball

I ended up not needing the rack as my wife convinced me we really needed to take her Renault Mégane instead of the '2 to France this summer.

I'm still kinda kicking myself for agreeing.

Phil1888

Cheers guys

Anyone had any dealings with this company/rack?

m http://www.roofbox.co.uk./ m

£30 cheaper than roofrack shop? Dunno about postage yet or what weight it will take - I've emailed them.

Phil.

Phil1888

No reply today - maybe tomorrow !!!!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Why the   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  icon?

MikeMr2

Quote from: "Phil1888"Cheers guys

Anyone had any dealings with this company/rack?

m http://www.roofbox.co.uk./ m

£30 cheaper than roofrack shop? Dunno about postage yet or what weight it will take - I've emailed them.

Phil.

I've got one of those - the Fapa one.  S'ok.  Does the job.  Cost me about 180 quid delivered (don't think I got it from there tho).  There are 2 sizes, I had to get the larger one which cost more.

Think it takes 25 kilos officially.  

hth
/mike
Cake or Death?

Phil1888

Quote from: "nelix"Why the   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  icon?

Just thought the Company might have replied if they wanted the sale - they have done now - no Boot Racks left in stock.

Off to buy my roofrack shop one , unless any of you want to sell me yours on the cheap   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Cheers for your help guys

Phil.

StuM

Hi All,

As promised some pics of the rack in situ during a trip to Cornwall.  One observation is that the rack gets very hot - as does of course whatever is on it - so bear this in mind when deciding what you will be stashing on there.

In the second one you can see the straps that go on the leading edge of the bonnet to prevent any rearward movement.

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

onion86

Any idea if this will fit on with my spoiler? I'm thinking it looks quite big (like it covers the whole bootlid up to the lights), waiting for the measurements back. The one in the post above looks like it could be moved forward slightly so it would fit with the spoiler (although would probably cause issues if needing to open the bootlid and it's further forward) I'm guessing will it move forward?. Just after more storage space!

Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Midshipman

Quote from: "onion86"Any idea if this will fit on with my spoiler? I'm thinking it looks quite big (like it covers the whole bootlid up to the lights), waiting for the measurements back. The one in the post above looks like it could be moved forward slightly so it would fit with the spoiler (although would probably cause issues if needing to open the bootlid and it's further forward) I'm guessing will it move forward?. Just after more storage space!

Isn´t the baking tray going to make the bags even hotter?
[size=150]With a good iron pipe you hit the world with amazement!![/size]
http://www.garaget.org/?car=97192
Black \'00, Red ltr, TM duals, PPE CAI, B&M short shift,Aluminum shifter knob, JDM HVAC panel, US mats, Red/black shift boot, Clear turn signal, Beatrush front strut bar, Steel braided clutch hose, Speed source solid brass shift cable bushings, Black J-Spec front badge, J-spec rear badge, Dev´s keyhole cover. And K-sport coil-overs.

StuM

Quote from: "onion86"Any idea if this will fit on with my spoiler? I'm thinking it looks quite big (like it covers the whole bootlid up to the lights), waiting for the measurements back. The one in the post above looks like it could be moved forward slightly so it would fit with the spoiler (although would probably cause issues if needing to open the bootlid and it's further forward) I'm guessing will it move forward?. Just after more storage space!

Stu - do you know who makes this, it doesn't look like either of the ones I'm familiar with.

I think MikeMR2 is selling his rack which I believe is the same as mine.

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

onion86

Quote from: "StuM"

Stu - do you know who makes this, it doesn't look like either of the ones I'm familiar with.

I think MikeMR2 is selling his rack which I believe is the same as mine.

Cheers,
Stu

It's not one I've ever seen before either. The only reason I was looking is because it's only 99p atm on eBay! Not really in need of it right now and was just looking around and thought it would be a steal if it works as well as a Fapa or Thule one. Russ has already bought Mike's anyway I think  s:) :) s:)
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

uktotty

No Russ is bidding on that one as theres only 24 hours to go and Mikes was too expensive for me   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

onion86

Quote from: "uktotty"No Russ is bidding on that one as theres only 24 hours to go and Mikes was too expensive for me   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

So you're Bidder1!... I was wondering  s:) :) s:)

Can't quite work out exactly how it fits to the bootlid from the pic.

MikeMr2

Quote from: "uktotty"No Russ is bidding on that one as theres only 24 hours to go and Mikes was too expensive for me   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

er, yeah, I've still got a boot rack for sale...  (makes mental note to update that thread again...)   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

cheers
/Mike
Cake or Death?

roger

Just posting for the record.......

I have La Prealpina (Lapa) boot-rack that fits perfectly with a "TRD" spoiler. Barney Bear also bought one but could'nt get his to fit.

It turns out mine is 50" wide whereas his is 46" wide. In fact I was told that mine was for a BMW (model unknown) but it fits.

The problem appears to be that the 46" will fit a non-spoilered boot lid, but because the spoiler forces it to the back of the lid, the movement in the front-most legs isn't quite enough to cope with the slightly wider width needed at that end of the lid. The difference isn't that much, around an inch, but enough. BB is considering a mod   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Since the 46" one is the one recommended for a Roadster, anybody with a TRD spoiler will definitely need the 50". Without checking on price differences, if you would like an extra 4" of space I can assure you the 50" will fit.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Barney Bear

As Roger stated above had a few problems fitting this rack but finally worked it out the 2 legs now have a extra plate to increase the width
problem solved
Of course it works far easier if you dont have the TRD style spoiler, fitted to a friends car in the village and goes on a treat ( she has the ducktail )
having got it on the car can't say I like it  
  s:( :( s:(   won't be keeping it long   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Also on another note if there is anyone near me that needs to borrow it at sometime please feel free to ask more than happy to lend it out   s:D :D s:D
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

roger

Quote from: "Barney Bear"having got it on the car can't say I like it  
  s:( :( s:(   won't be keeping it long   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I certainly didn't buy mine as a style statement - but it does what it says on the box.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Barney Bear

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  very true does nothing for the car
will move what I need to and then its back in storage for it   s:D :D s:D
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

mrzwei

Spot on that. I've got roof bars and a roof box on a car at the mo, business done, off tomorrow!
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

Hi i guys. I am a new owner of a 2004 toyota mr2 and already planning the summer hols.  Was just wondering if anyone could let me know if you can fit the classic carriers roof rack to the car (with a spoiler in place). If not i don't suppose someone could give me a clear link to a rack that does.

Cheers for your help.

nickyb

Re:
Quote from: "Moleshome"I've got the Classic Carriers one, I bought it on here second hand.

If I'm using it to carry a suitcase then I fit it as the picture with the raised bar at the back. With the raised bar at the front you can mount a Thule bike carrier to it so that it clears the roof.

Ah-ha!  I'm into mountain biking and have a Thule hangon3 bike carrier (for the swan/ball towbar on a partner's 4x4). Now need to be more independent, so enquired of Mr T and Indespension...only to be told by both that a tow bar can't be fitted to the '2 (FYI: mine's a Nov 2000 Dutch import, no spoiler). So:

• pls can you tell me which Thule carrier you have/fits the rack?

• does anyone have any ideas re how else I can carry a quite heavy but medium sized bike?
Very Silly Question time....could it somehow fit on a large boot rack* (with padding & bungees) – if I get one?!

• *if so, does anyone want to sell one?!

Thx, Nicky

MR2Al

Think somebody on here made a cycle carrier that uses the towing eye holes for the mounting points, fairly easy I would have thought if you are creative or know somebody who is. Might need to put heavy lump of metal in the spare wheel bay to keep the nose down if its a heavy bike.

Al.
04, Silver, totally unmolested. Hard Top...Off.

Tags: