Which boot rack?

Started by Ernie Ball, April 3, 2008, 13:46

nickyb

Yep, now seen it and great idea re spare wheel bay – thx Al. Have been looking at the Saris Bones rear mount 2 or 3 bike carrier – think it might just work – anyone tried/got one?

filcee

The tow-hole carrier I think featured on Spyderchat.  You'll need a 'guttering-style' bike holder to lash onto the screw-in parts.

The biggest issue is likely to be the requirement for a trailer plate as this will cover the rear lights and number plate.  I don't know if there is any neat way to tap into the wiring loom in the engine bay.  If you're lucky the loom has come from another Toyota, and there's a place to plug in/tap in. If not, then you'll have to do the work to get the trailer plate and lights wired in yourself.  I've thought of going this route myself so I can make more use of my '2 in the summer, but in the end I always opt for the barge on the drive (with or without roof-rack in place).

Here's some instructions - and you can see how much the back of the car is obscured.  Does look good though http://forums.singletracks.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=4211&p=20424

Edit: Added link to picture and instructions for tow-eye rack
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

nickyb

Great, thanks so much, Phil – am going to contact an engineer mate who might be able to help.  s:o :o s:o )

Tags: