Hardtop Rattle

Started by Anonymous, January 6, 2004, 14:43

Anonymous

Actually this happens with the soft-top too.  After a period, roughly 24 hours, sometimes 48 the passenger front clip starts to rattle.  Opening and closing that clip stops it for a further 24-48hours.

I know I could try tightening the clip a little, two things stop me.  The first is that tighening will speed the deteriation of the weather seal, and the second is that I find it really strange that undoing and redoing the clip sorts it... for a while.

I wonder if anyone else has or has come across the problem and whether that solved it?

Anonymous

Ive had it (on the softtop) - had it greased by the dealers and it cured it.

Anonymous

I had it with the hard top, fixed (last Sunday) by adjusting the little hex nut.

Anonymous

Any idea which bit they put the grease on?  Quite happy to do that myself.

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"Any idea which bit they put the grease on?  Quite happy to do that myself.

not a clue... but i did notice a big blob on the part that is attached to the car (so maybe somewhere inside the clip).

Anonymous

Cheers chaps.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "phil4"Actually this happens with the soft-top too.  After a period, roughly 24 hours, sometimes 48 the passenger front clip starts to rattle.  Opening and closing that clip stops it for a further 24-48hours.

I know I could try tightening the clip a little, two things stop me.  The first is that tighening will speed the deteriation of the weather seal, and the second is that I find it really strange that undoing and redoing the clip sorts it... for a while.

I wonder if anyone else has or has come across the problem and whether that solved it?
I had the same and the dealer replaced the whole clip assembly
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

kanujunkie

bit of advice guys, go to a really really good DIY place or mechanics suppliers, i.e not B&Q or Halfords, purchase a bottle of thread locker. Adjust the hex nut and apply a tiny blob of thread locker to the nut. This will stop the hex nut backing off and the clip becoming loose again.
Greasing them will just put off the rattle a bit, by doing what grease does beast and lubricating it! holding the tension in the strut bar is the only way to fix it properly

good luck with it  s:D :D s:D
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

I thought the plastic clip held the hex nut in place anyway?... well it looks like it does on mine?

Ta for the advice though... may well try that too.  Or I may take Buster's approach and just turn the stereo up a bit.

Tags: