Power Steering Pump cost???

Started by Anonymous, January 6, 2004, 15:45

Anonymous

Hi...My local MRT has quoted me £702 for a new power steering pump for my 2000 MRS.  coupled with 2 hours labour at £58 per hour this is going to be Xpensiv! - Does this cost sound right to anyone out there? - Anyone know where I can get a cheaper one from?

Anonymous

A scrapyard is likely to be your best alternative source for one - assuming you definately need one. What's the symptom?

Anonymous

It just died at lights with the engine running - got really heavy and the p/s light came on.  They said they've checked the fuses / relay and its definitely the pump.  Would my local (trustworthy) garage (ie not MR T) be able to install the new pump or does it need electronic wizardry to make it work?

Anonymous

My Power Steering pump failed between Christmas and the New Year.

The dealer looked at it on Monday and the new pump is being fitted on Friday luckily under warrenty (by 6 months   s:P :P s:P ).

Someone has posted on Spyderchat with a simular problem and they changed their own pump in less than an hour I believe.

Jap GT300

Toyota £680 + VAT

I bought one not too long ago but I did get 15% dealer discount.  I had trouble finding one at a scrap yard because most roadsters were front end shunts or the pumps had been run dry after and accident and the pump ceased.

Anonymous

Hi Waddy... Yeh these are V.expensive from MrT.  Mine failed when the car was out of warranty and MrT wanted nearly £1000 to replace it with the parts & labour & vat etc!  In the end I got one from a breakers yard and my local garage (not MrT) who I've used before fitted it in under an hour for less than £30! No special tools or equipment required.

Anonymous

Thanks! I'm feeling much better! - £200 for the unit from national breaker on its way.  Any tips to give to my local garage on installing the new unit? - he's not done it before, my local Mr T hasn't either...any pdf's of the relevant pages from the repair manual gratefully received!!

Anonymous

From what I could see it was very easy. It's basically just an electric motor not a mechanical pump. You disconnect a couple of fluid pipes and then the electrical connection/multiplug and it comes off with 3 bolts. I removed the under bonnet cowling before I took it too the garage, partly  to make it quicker and easier for them but also to make sure it didn't get damaged whilst it was lying around their workshop. There's certainly no special tools required but according to MrT it is a special power steering fluid which you can only get from a MrT dealer? I don't know how true this is but I got some from him anyway and to be fair even the MrT garage said it was different to that used in most other Toyotas.

Anonymous

Sounds simple enough...I suppose there'd be no harm in using the fluid from the existing pump? - thanks for your help!

Tags: