Started by Anonymous, April 16, 2008, 00:15

Anonymous

Neither will void your warranty, but you will have to disclose both to your insurers. That goes for any mod that doesn't come with a bog-standard MR2 (including hardtops!).

spit

Well, if that's true, I've learned something today  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

There must be a heck of a lot of the UK driving around with dealer options without validating it on their insurance.....   s:? :? s:?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

It's much like any other mod really: Some insurers will care a lot and refuse a payout, some really won't give a damn. But yeah, the numbers are pretty scary.

edward.carter

Renewed my insurance the other day with directline and they said any modifications or options, so declared on my insurance poilcy is leather and aircon as they are not "standard"

davidhowson

Slightly off topic, but what would happen if you bought a car with Tein springs already on it and you simply didn't know any different? You would not be able to disclose that to your insurers?

Anonymous

It's down to you to find out what's on the car before you buy it/insure it. They would be well within their rights not to pay out if that scenario occurred.

aaronjb

Quote from: "davidhowson"Slightly off topic, but what would happen if you bought a car with Tein springs already on it and you simply didn't know any different? You would not be able to disclose that to your insurers?

But your insurer could still refuse to pay out.  It's your responsibility to be aware of what constitutes your car.  In fact - there are documented cases of this happening (it happened to a friend of my mothers - she had no idea that the sunroof in her Fiesta wasn't a standard fitment but rather an aftermarket part, and the insurers politely told her that she would get zip after the car was written off)

Ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law, I believe is the saying..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tags: