Refixing of chrome sill plate....

Started by Anonymous, January 7, 2004, 13:32

Anonymous

One of the problems quoted before my recent 10,000 service was the driver's side chrome sill plate constantly falling off.

Sod's law, Toyota did not have the right kind of adhesive in stock to refix it on the day.  They now want to book the car in for another visit to get this done.  Not handy for the sake of getting a bit of metal restuck down!

Anyone know what type of adhesive I should use to simply refix it myself?

Would bog standard superglue applied to the plastic on the door sill trim do the job?

aaronjb

Depends if you ever want it to come off again... ever...

If the answer is a most definite no, then a small amount of epoxy resin ought to ensure that it never comes off again, ever. ever.

Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Slacey

Markiii has some evil double sided stuff (3M?), that seems to take care of just about anything. Any chance of tellling us exactly what and where Mark? (I want some!)
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

No plans to ever remove the thing certainly, can only think that extensive scratches would require it to be binned and replaced.

Might take a spin to the glue section at B&Q tonight, kick the ned teenagers out the way, and find out what they have.

Anonymous

doesnt super glue melt plastic? I would suggest you try to find something that will not damage the car in any way, like the 3M stuff that markiii uses.

Anonymous

Halfords do a 'trim repair tape' that will do the trick

Slacey

Quote from: "perry190"Halfords do a 'trim repair tape' that will do the trick
It's not very sticky though - I bought some of this and it isn't holding at all well, that's why I'm after some of the stuff Mark has.

markiii

it 3m self adhesive FOAM tape. It's teh stuff they use for attaching car badges.

I got mine from the local Brown Brothers.

Partco could probably get it as well.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Caravan dealers spares shops sell sets of thin Velcro (hope I've spelt it right) strips which they use to attach the rear number plate to the body of the caravan.
It's handy as if you don't get it straight you can always re-lift it and re-apply. Don't know how much it costs, but it's a better idea than glue, and those double sided sticky pads really stick but are a pain if you wish to remove the plate at a later date.
You would probably destroy the plate trying to get it off.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Parslad"One of the problems quoted before my recent 10,000 service was the driver's side chrome sill plate constantly falling off.

Sod's law, Toyota did not have the right kind of adhesive in stock to refix it on the day.  They now want to book the car in for another visit to get this done.  Not handy for the sake of getting a bit of metal restuck down!

Anyone know what type of adhesive I should use to simply refix it myself?

Would bog standard superglue applied to the plastic on the door sill trim do the job?
I had the same problem and gave up in the end. Toyota tried the 3M double sided but it still managed to work loose at the front end causing a rattling on the door bottom. Did not really want to glue them down so they currently sit in the garage  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

kanujunkie

best stuff for this is a good carpet tape, stuff is double sided and we use it on the aircraft for attaching all sorts of things because the stuff just doesn't shift, must be a good quality Davies type tape though.

good luck  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

I bought some 3M (I think) Exterior grade double sided foam tape the other day for a different kind of project, and it's mighty sticky! Got it in B&Q, it's on a roll inside a small cardboard box, about £4.

The best thing is that the foam "middle" bit is of the non-disintegrating kind, so can actually be removed at a later date if you pull it from the right angle.. seems to be the best of both worlds?

Everything I've stuck down with it is still holding so far!

Tim

Slacey

Quote from: "c_a_r_t_e_r"I bought some 3M (I think) Exterior grade double sided foam tape the other day for a different kind of project, and it's mighty sticky! Got it in B&Q, it's on a roll inside a small cardboard box, about £4.
This sounds like the stuff I'm after - I'll go check it out later. Cheers Tim  s:) :) s:)

Tags: