Sagging Leather Seats???

Started by Anonymous, January 8, 2004, 11:37

Anonymous

Having started this debate, I feel that I should complete it with a picture....thanks to Kris for hosting them.

Sorry it has taken me a while to get around to posting them.

One shot shows the sagging drivers seat, after 9000 miles of suffering my 12 1/2 stone back-side; the other shot shows my perfect passengers seat.

Any further comments from others?

Thanks again to Kris!

Andrew

heathstimpson

The wear on mine is exactly as yours Andrew with 7K.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tem

Quote from: "amr2"Any further comments from others?

I'd open the seats and restretch the leather. No idea if that would fix the case, but I can't see why it wouldn't.

I just changed the fabric on my seats and after the first round they looked a bit loose, pretty much like that leather. Then I stretched them a bit more and now they look like new.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

They seem to be all pretty much the same Amr2, so I wouldn't worry too much to be honest. If they get really bad (which I don't think they will), you can always chase it under warranty.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Tem

I was thinking that a simple stretch might do the trick, but wonder why I should do it, on what is, to all intents and purposes, a new car!

Surely such a disparity in tension shouldn't occur?

Is it likely to continue to stretch over the years.....

Andrew

Tem

I'm no expert on leather, but I believe it does live a bit by time. It stretches when you sit on it and so it will gave some slack when you get up. I don't think there's really anything to prevent that, it's just a feature of leather.

noddynurdle

i am no expert on leather either but i think there are quite a few "noshers" on this board
  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  
Noddy
it might go off it you touch it
2000 red/black second hand had 5500 on clock
now got 38000.
MODS after market valve caps, dynamatted focal 165a speakers, visor pluged, painted calipers and a set of Victor\'s bags.
oh and me nodding dog called spot.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "noddynurdle"i am no expert on leather either but i think there are quite a few "noshers" on this board
  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  
Noddy
I'm only light  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

SteveJ

Leather doesn't stretch very much (certainly not elastically), so if it were too tight, the stitching would have to take the strain hence it is probably best to have a small amount of 'baginess' to the most stressed part of the seat.

The seats from my original roadster (now in markiii's car!) looked exactly the same as yours when I bought it with 9K on the clock (ex-demo car), and didn't get any worse over the next 50K miles / 2 years, and Mark has now had them for 9 months and they are still fine.

To summarise, I wouldn't be too concerned about it - you just need someone to 'even-up' the passenger seat  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

noddynurdle

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "noddynurdle"i am no expert on leather either but i think there are quite a few "noshers" on this board
Noddy
I'm only light  s:? :? s:?

i was joking honest
it might go off it you touch it
2000 red/black second hand had 5500 on clock
now got 38000.
MODS after market valve caps, dynamatted focal 165a speakers, visor pluged, painted calipers and a set of Victor\'s bags.
oh and me nodding dog called spot.

Tem

Quote from: "SteveJ"Leather doesn't stretch very much

It doesn't stretch much, but just enough to get some wrinkles to otherwise even surface.

Say you bought a leather shoes/trousers/jacket that's just a bit too small. Over time it will get just perfect for you. I think same goes to seats, you're constantly putting some stress on them when you sit and it will show after some time. Once you get the needed slack in there, it won't get any worse...just like a big enough leather jacket stays just the same after years of use.

SteveJ

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "SteveJ"Leather doesn't stretch very much

It doesn't stretch much, but just enough to get some wrinkles to otherwise even surface.

Tem,

You quoted me out of context - you should have included the '(certainly not elastically)' part as well, as this covers exactly what you just posted. Once leather has been stretched, it doesn't return to its original size ie. It is NOT elastic - hence the seats stay baggy after they have been sat on for any length of time.

Tem

I just wanted to comment on the "not very much"-part  s8) 8) s8)

Tags: