Eek! 3 years old Sunday!

Started by Anonymous, January 9, 2004, 10:08

Anonymous

Lucky I looked at the logbook this morning, my '2 is 3 yrs old on Sunday (thought it was Jan 04 but didnt know when), MOT time!

Anyone know roughly how much it costs to extend the warranty?
I've got Toyota calling me back in a bit but I'm impatient.
And bored at work!

Slacey

See here for a rough idea.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Cheers mate.
Wish I hadn't looked now!!

Anyone got any ideas as to what might typically go for a '2 this age? Cos touch wood so far I've had not a thing go wrong, and it's all lovely jubby, so finding bit hard to believe that I'll be needing that amounts worth of warranty work done within year.

So if a few peeps have had the same problem (as each other) occur after this time it would great to hear about it so I can weigh up the pros & cons

ta

Anonymous

Plenty has been written about the usual warranty problems. If you've suffered none of them so far (or they're already fixed), then they're unlikely to crop up now, with the exception of the precat/engine blow-up.

However, that's rare (only a small handful in the UK; we don't actually seem to have a definitive number from our members do we?), and if it does happen, then replacement engines can allegedly be had for a few hundred quid (esp if you can do the swap yourself, or use a reliable independant garage).

FWIW, I debated this same point last summer, and came to the conclusion that it's worth the risk. If my engine blows, I'll worry about it at the time. If it doesn't, I'm £500 quid up to spend on other things  s:P :P s:P

Anonymous

Damn! And I'd just resigned myself to the fact that I'd be adding to my credit card tomorrow.
Now got to rethink!

So if anyone has any tales about how their '2 melted a week after the warrantly ran out I'd love to hear them!

Please, any info/opinions, either way, very much valued, I'll look at this thread in the morning and make me mind up.

Ta muchly
Steve

Slacey

I think he means you, Tem  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

TBH, I'd be tempted to swap out the header for a TRD / PPE or similar, and junk the precats - cheaper than the extension at any rate.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

darrenjuggins

Hi Stevo,

I took the warranty and am paying it over 10 months interest free, which is easier on the pocket.

Included in the two years is RAC cover and also the cost of your MOTs, ok not a huge saving there but worth knowing, plus you get memebership to club toyota.

I only have this car to rely on and as such I've had over £4,000 worht of warranty work already and I've not really had anything wrong with the car just daft stuff.

therefore conclusion was to pay £55 per month for 10 months for peice of mind.

Point to note, Silly thing a spring went in my hood catch to replace, (couldn't just replace the spring) it would have cost £120 ! doh! silly things like that made me take the peice of mind.

hope this helps

Mr J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"Included in the two years is RAC cover and also the cost of your MOTs, ok not a huge saving there but worth knowing, plus you get memebership to club toyota.

Club Toyota membership (ie pan-European RAC cover along with a sticker, a glossy mag and a few worthless discounts) is available anyway for £55 per year.

That I DO have, for the RAC cover alone.

filcee

Quote from: "pmdye"That I DO have, for the RAC cover alone.

Slightly off-topic, but the Club Toyota RAC membership also helps if you have more than one RAC membership in the house.  I think we pay and extra 30-odd quid to make sure we have two cars covered. This is quite a bit cheaper than full price.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

SimonC_Here

Or you can wait till MrT Knackers your application for a 1 year extention and complain.

Then they might send you a 2 your one instead like they did to me.

Simon

Anonymous

i was given vouchers for free mot tests for life when i brought the 2" but it has to be done at a main dealer only.

Anonymous

Mine will be 4yrs old in July an its now done 32K.
No problems yet, although they'll probably start tomorrow!  s:D :D s:D

Tags: