Front end grip?

Started by Anonymous, June 16, 2003, 10:28

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"
Quote from: "ScouserDave"However just had £30k service and front tyres are still originals and drivers side was described as racing slick.
s:!: :!: s:!:  Is that a record? I get through a full set in less than 10K miles!
My front's lasted about 18,000, which I thought was well impressive!

Dave must drive like a bird!

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

(No offence intended to our female contingent BTW!   s:D :D s:D  )

--H--

Liz

Hardcore(No offence intended to our female contingent BTW!   s:D :D s:D  )

I think I am the female contingent - and none taken...you men!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"
Quote from: "Hardcore"(No offence intended to our female contingent BTW!   s:D :D s:D  )

--H--

I think I am the female contingent - and none taken!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Well I thought you were, and I knew you wouldn't!

s:D :D s:D  

--H--

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "mph"
Quote from: "ScouserDave"However just had £30k service and front tyres are still originals and drivers side was described as racing slick.
s:!: :!: s:!:  Is that a record? I get through a full set in less than 10K miles!

£30k for a service, I know MrT is expensive but   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Simon

Anonymous

Oy! Hardcore less of the :
"Dave must drive like a bird! " comments..

Dont understand why the fronts went on so long 'cause my backs are certainly way down after 10k with replacement by 15k at the latest. Obviously its rear wheel drive and all that. I guess I do a lot of A14/Motorway driving so not as much action for the fronts given the mileage?

Anyway. New all round set of Toyo Proxes (on forum recommendation)on Thursday for £240 which has

(i) made my '2 feel like new again: surefooted cornering, braking on a dime etc.....  I think my braking problems where down to  low tread/over inflated fronts. Have dropped the new ones down from 30psi (from garage) to 25psi and the whole thing is magic.

(ii) contibuted to my sunburnt condition this evening!! This weekend was really what roadsters are made for!

juansolo

Quote from: "mph"s:!: :!: s:!:  Is that a record? I get through a full set in less than 10K miles!

4000 miles...   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

I am not going to say a think about "someones" front tread...or lack of who was present at the sunday meeting.

You know who you are, and you should be ashamed   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

i get fine front end grip IN THE DRY slicks are lovely LOL

In the wet its a different kettle of fish LOL   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

ScouserDave wrote:
QuoteAnyway. New all round set of Toyo Proxes (on forum recommendation)on Thursday for £240

Dave!!!!!

I have noticed that you are in the Cambridge area (I used to live there a couple of years ago and now in Newmarket......) and I too was thinking of getting the Toyo's for mine soon on the recommendation of Hardcore and a few other.......

BUT....

£240 is a good price!!! Where did you get them from and are they local (i.e. somewhere in the Camb/N'market area)? If so, can you let me know please cos I would like some too!

Cheers matey!

Anonymous

I used a small chain called Kingsway Tyres.

These are in St Andrews Road Cambridge (behind the new appartments/development at Queen Edith Way Bridge. Tel 01223 352002.

I think they have a number of branches in the East Anglia and the East Midlands area, but I think Cambridge is the nearest to Newmarket. A14/A10 would be they way I'd go. I ordered them one afternoon and they were there by lunchtime the next day. ps cost included fitting/balancing/new valve. Front £57.96 each and Back £58.65.

Not an advertisement, but hey if someone is prepared to do a good deal, we might as well all benefit!   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Cheers Dave. I do know where you mean and I will check them out. Sounds like it IS a good deal. I will say I was recommended.......  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I take it as you had to order them in, they don't stock them? Mind you, one day isn't a big deal is it?.......

Thanks mate. That could be a big help!

Anonymous

Dave,

One more thing. It was the T1-S's you got and not the  T1-Plus from the Performance/Premium range wasn't it? I have just had a look at the Toyo website and there is another range of Proxes, which is a bit comfusing really. There is the Ultra High Performace T1-S's and I couldn't remember which ones they were, so I thought I would have a look. Now I am a bit confused......  s:? :? s:?  

Hope it WAS the T1-S's. Don't want to get TOO much more expensive.....  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

John,

Yep. They are the T1-S and look absolutely mean. Hasnt rained yet, but I reckon they are as good as the Yokos in the dry for road use (couldnt comment on track) and I've heard that they are much better in the wet.

I found that I was going to have to order from most places for '2 sized performance tyres but again its all done on 24 hour basis so you just phone up the day before.

Anonymous

Ok, nice one Dave. I just thought I would check, just in case and for my own piece of mind cos I am crap!!!

The Toyo's DO look mean (I like that they look a bit like a slightly chinkier Goodyear F1, which look wicked anyway), but you are on eof a load of people who reckon they are the dogs, so I will be more than willing to give them a try!!!

Cheers for the info Dave. Much appreciated!

Anonymous

Just catching up but I thought my $0.02 might be of interest.  My local fitter will do me 4 Toyo Proxes T1-S, fitted, including VAT for about £200 so shop about.

Toyos are great value for money.

--H--

Anonymous

Finally then.

So are we having a general agreement that the Toyo Proxes T1-S are probably the best all round tyres then?...and one of the better ones for the wet!.

...will they fit on the 03 rears?

Anonymous

Duplicate post...sorry

zud

Quote from: "Hardcore"Just catching up but I thought my $0.02 might be of interest.  My local fitter will do me 4 Toyo Proxes T1-S, fitted, including VAT for about £200 so shop about.

Toyos are great value for money.

--H--

I'd certainly agree with that... phone for a price at one place... knock a bit off when you ring the next and they ask for your best price so far... and repeat until you can't get any lower.  

Even so, £200 for a full set sounds like a steal!
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"Finally then.

...will they fit on the 03 rears?

No, already emailed toyo and they dont plan to make them in our rear wheel size.... looks like we will have to look for another make!

Anonymous

poo  s:( :( s:(

juansolo

03 owners look no further than Yokohama Advan Neova LTS.  The daddy of road/track tyres.  The more I use them the more I'm impressed.  They're goon/grip/wear-tastic.  I only wish they did them in 13" 185x60 for the Westie, they'd be perfect for it.

Road use only however you'd probably be better off with Bridgestones.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

On Mytyres.net this is all they give us for the rears.....

Pirelli ***  P 7000
215/45 ZR16 86W
Summer tyres
With mytyres.co.uk only £ 95,20

Yokohama ***  A043
215/45 R16 86ZR RPB
Summer tyres
With mytyres.co.uk only £ 103,70

Pirelli  P 7000
215/45 R16 ZR
Summer tyres
With mytyres.co.uk only £ 103,90

Michelin ***  Pilot SPORT
215/45 ZR16 86Y Rim-protection,
Summer tyres
With mytyres.co.uk only £ 113,10

Yokohama ***  A022
215/45 ZR16 ZR H0, right und left
Summer tyres
With mytyres.co.uk only £ 162,60

Not the best selection is it!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  (and look at the prices!)

Anonymous

This was half the reason I wasn't too depressed when I got a 2002, rather an a 2003 '2.  'cause the rear tyres are about half the price.

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"This was half the reason I wasn't too depressed when I got a 2002, rather an a 2003 '2.  'cause the rear tyres are about half the price.

Yet another thing they dont tell you when you buy the car!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

Yeah, but we have got a fisher price radio...how jealous are you guys   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: