SOFTTOP IS EASY TO CLOSE BUT HARD TO OPEN

Started by Anonymous, January 9, 2004, 21:18

Anonymous

The softtop is easy to close, u can just sit there and use one hand to close.
But when open it u have push really hard to lock it into luggege space and u have adjust both sides to fit into the luggage space.
Do u have this kind of problem?
It's just opposite to the MX-5(easy to open, hard to close).
I never try to open it on the street, it seem u are working hard to open it which just don't look good.
I always open it at home and never open it on the way back.
Does anyone know how to solve this question?

Anonymous

I think they just get easier with time - i know my one i can close easy from sitting in the car, but cant open it and make it lock into place. Yet i have seen others fold flat and lock in place with no effort at all.

Anonymous

Its the weather!.

When we got ours a year ago, it was a mare!.  During summer you could open and lock it from the driver seat, now its really stiff and difficult again.  When cold though ensure you push the screen down first and it should shut easier.

I think its normal, due to the rubberised style roof.

Anonymous

Yeah, definately the weather. If you have direct sun on it in the warm, its a doddle. In this weather, forget trying to get it flat I would say. I have RARELY had mine flat as my car (unfortunately), unless I am driving, is rarely in the sun............  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:? :? s:?

markiii

run the heater on full with teh aircon on for 5 mins.

It'll open easy.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Nice tip mark!

...does this work without AC?  Will try tomorrow.

Hey get wot - we just hit 4500 miles!!!!

mph

Make sure the glass is folding down properly. If you're out of the car, get the hood half way back, then try pushing the glass near at the edge towards the front of the car. In colder weather, mine doesn't drop all the way, but once you've given it a help, the top will fold down fine.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

SteveJ

Quote from: "cstevens"Nice tip mark!

...does this work without AC?  Will try tomorrow.

Hey get wot - we just hit 4500 miles!!!!

The AC is NOT required - this will actually slow the process of heating the car as it will be hell-bent on removing heat. The only prob without the AC is as the interior heats up, condensation may form briefly on the screen, but as long as you keep the blower on the screen, this won't be a problem.

On the subject of mileage, I have just gone over 5000 miles (car delivered Thursday 27th November 2004 with 32 miles on the clock!). Not bad for 6 weeks eh?

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"On the subject of mileage, I have just gone over 5000 miles (car delivered Thursday 27th November 2004 with 32 miles on the clock!). Not bad for 6 weeks eh?

Back to the future then?

Chris

blimey steve - i though the new job was supposed to cut down some of the mega milage hitting you do??!
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Tags: