young dog new tricks

Started by Anonymous, May 23, 2008, 19:58

Anonymous

Hi after my little accident I'm wanting to find somewhere to help control the 2 in the wet like a skid pan or something. Can anyone help me find somewhere

Anonymous

It was on our local news about 2 weeks ago that the police are running a 'skid pan' type thing to try to make young drivers safer.  You could do an internet search and see if anything comes up.  Hope this helps and let us know if you find anything

firepower

as we all know the 2 is a very difficult car to control in the wet and has caught out many members , experience with mid engined cars helps but the easiest and best way would be to slow down and drive like you have your gran in the car with you when it is wet   s:D :D s:D
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

Beowulf

I agree with firepower, drive like a slightly animated corpse in bad weather. It must take a REALLY good driver to drive these cars competitively in the wet (read lewis hamilton). Tyre choice helps IMMESURABLY (my car was uncontrollable in the snow when I first got her on the tyres it had).
   Its no wonder that most car manufacturers make their cars FF (apart from the cheapness,lol), they are a lot safer in inclement conditions than a RWD car. However, that said, I would NEVER own a FWD car again. I grew up with FR cars and they are much more agile and give so much more feedback than a FWD car. The MR setup of the MR2 is perfect from a drivers point of view, bur does command respect.
  If you find somewhere that does this at a competitive price let me know. It wont change my driving style in the wet, but it will be a lot of fun!!!!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Entropy always increces.

2001 red 46K stock (apart from de-badging on my rear (ooh err)) never had a problem in 5 years!  (touches wood quickly)

ChrisGB

Keep an eye open for the Carlimits days. If you go on one over winter, you might get the chance to push your car really hard in the wet to see what it does, with room to run off.

When I went on one of these days, I was competitively fast in the wet, being faster than a lot of fwd and 4wd cars most of the time and comparable to people running in Lotus Elises / Exiges. There was a 968 Clubsport there too and I was a lot faster than him. Although all the weight in the middle means no dart effect (heavy at the front so tends to self correct) the weight is also mostly over the driven wheels meaning early on the power. That is the joy of wet weather, it is a great leveller.

Generally, the key in the wet is to keep it smooth, Feed car into the bend positively but gradually, feed in the power smoothly with a loose grip on the steering wheel. Just before the back lets go, it will take on a couple of degrees more slip and the steering goes slightly lighter. You may feel the diff shuffling drive between wheels sometimes, but it can do this quite unsubtly which also unsticks the back end. Fast accurate correction will bring it back into line, but if you let it get out to +5 degrees or more, you could be in for some work recovering it. You will only notice this if your grip on the wheel is gentle and relaxed.

You can also suffer dangerous understeer if you go in too hot. Here, apply the steering slowly and if the steering wheel starts to go light and the car run wide, allow it to self centre a bit and take another bite, but more gently.

As with any car, but particularly one that can rotate so quickly, the key thing to do is planning. Get the approach speed right and plan the line. In the wet, it is critical to making fast safe progress. These cars can be very quick in the wet, but it really needs work. I do indulge sometimes, but for road driving, I really try not to go sideways.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

enid_b

asbo phil (evileye) has a lot of info about these skid pan type courses.  perhaps give him a pm and see what he comes up with. i think it was about 100 sheets for the day IIRC

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "enid_b"asbo phil (evileye) has a lot of info about these skid pan type courses.  perhaps give him a pm and see what he comes up with. i think it was about 100 sheets for the day IIRC

E

I don't really have a lot of information. I would check out  w www.driverskills.com w  as I know they do skid pan courses. I have tried to arrange these for the club but had limited interest. I would check out local Police as I know that many do run these type of days in order to try and reduce accidents.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Tags: