Hiring a bead roller?

Started by aaronjb, June 2, 2008, 15:24

aaronjb

Yes, it's MR2 related  s;) ;) s;)

Does anyone know of anywhere that will hire small bead rollers out?

Something like this one:
Bead Form roller @ Frost.co.uk

I only need to bead a half dozen pipes, so £400 seems a little excessive!

Failing that.. is a bead on intake pipework really necessary when running 8psi?  I can buy pre-bent aluminium intake pipework anywhere, but it's always lacking a bead or the wrong length..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

not really necessary

but any exhaust place should be able to do it for you
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

All you need is something to stop the pipe sliding off, so you could put several dome-head rivets (pop-rivets would do as well provided they dont have any sharp edges that might cut into the pipe) around the end of the metal pipe to give the clamp something to get stuck on if it slips.

aaronjb

Ah - good idea, Steve  s:) :) s:)

Actually thinking about it.. I wonder if the workshop at my Dad's place has a bead former (they work a lot with high & low pressure systems - autoclaves & hypobaric chambers).  If the pipework got me to Poole without blowing off, I could pop in and borrow the workshop at a weekend.

Sounds cheaper than renting one, assuming they have one  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

custardavenger

You could try Richard at TTS. Was really helpfull to me. Would mean a drive to Silverstone
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

kanujunkie

or i'm over at the training school on thursday that sits ontop of the pipe shop, wonder if they have one that could do that size pipe? it is outside our normal pipe sizes but you never know, send me some details matey  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

btw with the rivet idea, wouldn't that disturb the airflow inside?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

SteveJ

Quote from: "kanujunkie"btw with the rivet idea, wouldn't that disturb the airflow inside?

You mean disturb it anymore than being forced through at 10PSI   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

If you use short alu pop rivets then they leave a fairly small tail inside which is probably only going to cause the same amount of turbulance as having a groove in the pipe.

IMHO there are going to be bigger sources of turbulance such as intercoolers / turbines etc  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kanujunkie

fair point!
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

As luck would have it, guess what we found lurking in the workshop of my Dad's place:

(There's also a slightly smaller one, and a smaller one again, plus various dies for different size beads)

So - that's that problem solved, then!  As long as the pipes stay on long enough to drive to Poole, I'm golden  s;) ;) s;)

muffdan

I want your dad's workshop.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

aaronjb

Well it's not actually his workshop, rather the workshop at the place he works.. but yeah - it's a handy place to have, just a shame it's not a bit closer  s:) :) s:)

Tags: