Help me spend my big fat tax refund

Started by MRMike, January 14, 2004, 12:45

MRMike

Well I'm due a tax refund and I'm weighing up what to spend it on.  Ideas so far are:-

1. Focal Polykevlar componenets, new HU, and amp??
2. Alpine sat nav HU
3. Carbon bonnet and engine cover
4. Hard top???
5. Tag watch??

Oh and the refund will be circa £1500 so any suggestions on the above or any others welcome!

Cheers guys
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Slacey

I'd go for the ICE  s:) :) s:)
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"4. Hard top???

I've already got one, but if I hadn't that'd be top of my list.  There's plenty of die-hard top downer's here (SteveJ and Roger H to name two).  But for me the driving to and from work in the dark, wet and cold isn't something I was to do with the top down.

Tem

Quote from: "phil4"But for me the driving to and from work in the dark, wet and cold isn't something I was to do with the top down.

You know...you can put the softtop up  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "phil4"But for me the driving to and from work in the dark, wet and cold isn't something I was to do with the top down.

Not quite the same as a hardtop though...  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"

Oh does the softtop go up?  Ours comes out the garage with it down, I even discovered the other day that racing around essex in the rain you stay dry.

Anyway, back on topic - Mike you do know that getting £1500 from Mr Tax man means you will be one their hit list for the next twenty years - they WILL have that back from you!.

Bought 4 years ago I paid my tax bill, and they said I overpaid by £4000 (rounded).  They sent me a cheque, I spent the money, then they sent me a letter saying I owed them £4000 (rounded).  They basically cocked up.  Doh, had to find £4000.

Anonymous

hard top or the watch i think.

My personal choice would be an electric fence to keep Craig off my lawn...

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"I even discovered the other day that racing around essex in the rain you stay dry.

I watched at the last meet as one owner put his up while driving along.  I was kinda expecting the wind to catch it and rip it off.  It didn't though.  Impressive.

GSB

If I wanted a hardtop, I'd buy a Volvo...

Sat Nav... Very trendy and everything, but an atlas wieghs less, and If I were to drive far enough to actually need sattelite navigation in my '2, I'd need a wheelchair at the other end of the journey.

Carbon Bonnet... To put it simply. NO... Next thing you know you'll have a roll call of tuning parts logos going up your doors and neon lights underneath.

Tag Watch... Ive had one for the last ten years, and although its very nice, I wouldnt buy another one. Mainly because I've seen fakes that actually look more "real" than my real one, and becasue the newer real ones now look like £50 fashion watches. Oh, and becasue I'd rather have an Omega...

ICE... Cant go wrong really. It'll get used a lot more than the sat nav, and you could even get yourself a nice underdash subwoofer to go with it...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "phil4"I watched at the last meet as one owner put his up while driving along.  I was kinda expecting the wind to catch it and rip it off.  It didn't though.  Impressive.

I feel pretty safe putting it up at up to 30mph. Never even tried beyond that though, but the wind doesn't catch it at all at those speeds if you just quickly lift it up.

Oh and driving topless in the rain is so much fun  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  No matter how hard it rains, you only get few drops on the folded top from the side windows. Just can't do it in downtown or traffic where you have to stop..
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Oh and driving topless in the rain is so much fun  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  No matter how hard it rains, you only get few drops on the folded top from the side windows. Just can't do it in downtown or traffic where you have to stop..

Indeed; below about 25-30mph you'll get wet. Above that and the rain just goes over the top. Up to a point... I distinctly remember getting very wet on a trackday out with Martin once, when it started raining mid-session.

Anonymous

hmmm yeah goin gunder 30 mph you get drenched   s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(   .. me and my girlfriend thought it wud be cool last sat too put it down, drove about 10 miles straight into a thunderstorm with nowhere to stop so we got drenched on real small country lanes  s:( :( s:(   was quite funyn tho!

When we test drove the 2we got drenched as well ... got the dealers nice leather interior soaking, but we kind of left nice and quick before he could shake his fist at us   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

mph

Why limit yourself to material possesions?

Couple of days at North Weald ~£240
Weekend up at Anglesey ~£150
Driving holiday across Europe (think Spa, Magny Cours, etc) ~£700
Lots of petrol ~£200

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

/trackday addict
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

MR2Blue

Get a Tag watch, I've always wanted one.  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Go on a decent holiday!

Anonymous

Well i don't mind you buying me a spoiler  s:!: :!: s:!:  

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

My proper suggestion would be to keep your list to one side & wait a couple of months. Then look at the list again & see what you still really want. Bet the list will have dropped to 1 or 2 & you will have added 5 new things     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Chris

Quote from: "pmdye"Indeed; below about 25-30mph you'll get wet. Above that and the rain just goes over the top. Up to a point... I distinctly remember getting very wet on a trackday out with Martin once, when it started raining mid-session.

Well it was absolutely chucking it down that day!!  I must admit to driving in the rain topless a few times, and it gets you the strangest of looks!   s:D :D s:D  
I can't to the top up single handed with the left hand though - it's too stiff, or i'm too weak!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

SteveJ

Quote from: "phil4"
Quote from: "cstevens"I even discovered the other day that racing around essex in the rain you stay dry.

I watched at the last meet as one owner put his up while driving along.  I was kinda expecting the wind to catch it and rip it off.  It didn't though.  Impressive.

That would be me then  s:) :) s:)

Anything below 30mph (and no police cars in sight) you can easily flick the roof over without any danger of the airflow over the car catching it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"Tag Watch... Ive had one for the last ten years, and although its very nice, I wouldnt buy another one. Mainly because I've seen fakes that actually look more "real" than my real one, and becasue the newer real ones now look like £50 fashion watches. Oh, and becasue I'd rather have an Omega...

I agree, forget the Tag and get an Omega, I've had one for about a yearnow and they really are the dog danglies, Seamaster Automatic.......a Tag just won't compare.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Lee"
Quote from: "GSB"Tag Watch... Ive had one for the last ten years, and although its very nice, I wouldnt buy another one. Mainly because I've seen fakes that actually look more "real" than my real one, and becasue the newer real ones now look like £50 fashion watches. Oh, and becasue I'd rather have an Omega...

I agree, forget the Tag and get an Omega, I've had one for about a yearnow and they really are the dog danglies, Seamaster Automatic.......a Tag just won't compare.
Had a couple of Tags over the years and they are too plain really.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Have to agree on the Omega....had my Seamaster automatic now for 15 years and it is still going strong.....and I should hope so too.

Servicing every few years isn't too cheap but worth it for longevity.

Oh yeah, and my son thinks I'm James Bond!

Andrew

SimonC_Here

I must say I do love my Omega Multifunction.
but that's probably just the gadget boy in me!

Looks good too, I looked at the Seamaster but my wrist isn't very thick and it looked too big.

Simon

aaronjb

<slight thread drift mode>

Those of you who have Omega's - do any of you have an address/contact for servicing? I have an old (20-25yrs old) Omega that was once my late uncles, which now no longer works (  s:( :( s:(  ), and it'd be nice to get it working (and if possible, some extra links in the wristband - fat wrists  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )..

Ta  s:) :) s:)

</slight thread drift mode>
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

You could buy a stock of Roadster Bags!

MRMike

I wish I had never asked..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  i already have an Omega james Bond, i just really fancied the new TAG chrono's, no need just a whim!  I''ve now managed to convince myself as a result of the suggesions here that I need a new stereo and a new Tag.  Well I only have to pay for one! My logic is rather flawed.  Cheers for all the suggestions
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Tags: