Bloody Rattley B'std Glovebox driving me MAD...

Started by Anonymous, January 15, 2004, 09:54

Anonymous

...must get a louder radio!

Slacey

After having none of the 'standard' rattles for over a year, I've now got the dreaded passenger airbag loose wire rattle  s:( :( s:(  

Anyone know how easy it is to fix yourself (I know it only involves taping a wire down), getting to the wire itself is my concern.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Getting mine fixed by the dealer. Mine is actually the glove box rather than the air bag wire (as i can hold the glove box and it stops).

The airbag wire one: there are instructions on here somewhere that i think Tem or Victor posted up about how to fix it - it was a PDF/Image IIRC.

Anonymous

If its anything like the 2001 celica then its lie in the footwell and look up, you will see three gold coloured bolts these are the ones holding the air bag in place.  once undone push the air bag unit up and away  :-) :-) :-)

If you want to fully remove the air bag unit then of course you will need to dissconect the battery, leave it for a couple of mins to let the capacitor discharge then its safe to unplug.

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Getting mine fixed by the dealer. Mine is actually the glove box rather than the air bag wire (as i can hold the glove box and it stops).

The airbag wire one: there are instructions on here somewhere that i think Tem or Victor posted up about how to fix it - it was a PDF/Image IIRC.

Not me... would like the info too!

Tem

Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

Thanks for that Tem, unfortunately it doesn't cover the loose wire in the passenger airbag area problem though  s:( :( s:(
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

I think i have something at home that covers it... I'll take a look later mate.

Tem

This page mentions the wire, but not in too much detail:
 m http://spyderchat.com/faqs.htm m

heathstimpson

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Getting mine fixed by the dealer. Mine is actually the glove box rather than the air bag wire (as i can hold the glove box and it stops).
Mine is also from the glove compartment lock section and drives me mad...
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

I've also got a rattle that appears to be coming from the glove box lock, not the air bag wire.  

Anyone had any luck getting the dealer to fix this, or worked out how to do it themselves.

Anonymous

Quote from: "CK"I've also got a rattle that appears to be coming from the glove box lock, not the air bag wire.  

Anyone had any luck getting the dealer to fix this, or worked out how to do it themselves.

Steven Eagell know about this, speak to Justin, he will get it sorted for you mate.

Anonymous

Cheers   s:D :D s:D   just about to book it in for its first service so they can look at then.

Tem

Quote from: "CK"I've also got a rattle that appears to be coming from the glove box lock, not the air bag wire.  

If it's the glove box hinge and not the lock, then I have a cure for you.

Take the box off, put some electrical tape around the hinges (you'll see what I mean once you take it off) and it won't rattle anymore.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"

Steven Eagell know about this, speak to Justin, he will get it sorted for you mate.
Do you know what they did  s:?: :?: s:?:  I'm sure mine is the lock and not the hinges.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

no, i aint got round to booking mine in to have the replacement fitted, but they will be replacing the glove box (not the lock as im not having a seperate key for the glove box!)

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"no, i aint got round to booking mine in to have the replacement fitted, but they will be replacing the glove box (not the lock as im not having a seperate key for the glove box!)

My dealer was hopeless with my glovebox rattle.. I ended up with a new lock (and seperate enormous key!) which was worse than before!

Got them to put the old one back on, and that seemed to cure the problem.
I'm sure it's just adjustment of the catch that's causing the rattle.. mine obviously worked loose over time as I use it every day, and in fact I could feel that it felt different to close after being fiddled with.

If it starts again, I'll buy the Torx screwdriver and adjust it myself!

Tem

Here's an info how to make the storage bin locks work with your key, probably works for glove compartment lock as well:
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=2441 m

Anonymous

well. I finished with the rattles in the glove compatment putting inside (on top of the stuff I carry inside) a leather sponge (for cleaning the windshield). The sponge is moderately compressed and makes pressure on the lock, and that avoids the ratles.

Anonymous

Mr t bent the latch that the glove box locks on to, so that you had to slam it shut.

this stopped the rattle for a while but in turn it loosened the wire for the air bag

ended up trading the car in in the end

Tags: