Yet another new owner

Started by Anonymous, July 22, 2008, 20:19

Anonymous

Finally picked up a 2 after testing quite a few.
2001 Y, low miles, Blue, SMT, AC, Leather, Hardtop, Chrome rollbar, FSH with most recent last month, plenty of Tax and MOT, 2 new tyres.

Handling is as keen as my old 106 GTI, and speed is quite similar. Considered a turbo version as I miss my Fiat Coupe 20VT, but decided I dont miss the MPG.
Its a good time to drive at the moment with the sun out.
Just got to used to the delayed gearchange, with the only real danger being when I decide to pull out just as it goes from 2 to 1.

StuM

Sounds like a good car and a cracking price.

Welcome!

Cheers
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

onion86

Sounds nice, get us some pics  s:) :) s:)

Welcome to the club.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

alancdavis

welcome along,,,,,,,,,,,roof off and enjoy     s:D :D s:D
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

philster_d

Bargain. Welcome to the club.

Phil

Anonymous

Thanks everybody.
I have the roof off   s:D :D s:D  
Already used the search function to find the passenger window unlock button as it somehow got locked when my relatives tried the car and the previous owner didnt know it existed.

carl_evs

If you go over to Spyderchat there is a mod you can do to the throttle body to speed up the up change slightly. Also when changing up come off the gas fully as you press and then back on staright away (it takes longer if you stay on the gas).

As for downshifts - they are awesome and cant be matched in a manual imho!! i find i drop down more times than necessary just to listen to the noise!! Hehe.

Oh...and welcome along!!
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

filcee

Quote from: "smashed"Just got to used to the delayed gearchange, with the only real danger being when I decide to pull out just as it goes from 2 to 1.
"Sometimes, to go quicker, you have to go slower" (Jackie Stewart)

Having owned both a 5 and now a 6-speed SMT I understand what you're saying.  The only way to work this (in my experience) is in one of two ways:

Hold a higher gear - when approaching a traffic hazard, slow down early to get down to 2nd gear, but then hold the speed high enough to maintain 2nd gear on the approach.  Keep looking at the traffic (don't forget - you should expect to stop at a give way line) and if things work out, you should still be in 2nd gear when you arrive at the line with space to continue into traffic.  I find that this method works well for roundabouts.

Commit to a lower gear - slow earlier and get down into bottom gear (auto downshift will do this on the 5-speed SMT) a few metres - say 5-ish - before the traffic hazard.  That way, when you arrive at the line, you will have effectively pre-selected bottom gear and be ready to go without the transmission trying to make a not helpful decision on your behalf.  This method seems to work for junctions and traffic lights.

Don't forget that you can do the downshift to first yourself to force the gearbox to be where you want it to be (if the road speed is high enough there will be a loud, and quite scary if you're not expecting it, double blip to bring the engine revs up sufficiently).

On the 6-speeds, this problem was partly addressed by making the auto downshift go via 2nd gear once the speed had dropped sufficiently.  Bottom gear is engaged once you are (nearly, I think?) stopped.  It's a bit better, but can still make a duff decision every now and again.

Also - follow carl_evs advice for lifting when changing to speed things up.  This makes a noticeable improvement on the 5-speeds (not so much on the 6's) - although I wouldn't come completely off the throttle as this can leave you short of revs when everything connects up again causing a moment of engine braking when you're trying to press on.  I find a slight lift helps, although I've never yet mastered the exact amount of lift to use when pressing on above 4.5 - 5k rpm. Still, practice makes perfect (as if we need an excuse to just to go out and drive  s;-) ;-) s;-)  ).

Oh - and welcome.  And Enjoy  :-) :-) :-)
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

roger

That sounds very much like the IAM method......took a lot of getting used.

Brake first down to the speed you want at the junction THEN change down to the gear you want and move forward in that gear so you are rolling as you come up to the junction. Hopefully if all is clear you then accelerate. Known as peep and creep   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The basic plan is not to have a break / gear overlap, though it is acknowledge there are some occasions when this inevitable.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tags: