Engine Bay corroding?

Started by Anonymous, January 17, 2004, 13:48

Anonymous

I was giving my car a proper clean today and went to do my engine bay, only 2nd time in 7 months i've done the engine   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Anyway i noticed that the metal was all corroded and had "Rust Spots" on it so i went back and looked at a pic of slacey's as you can see there aren't ANY, i tried everything to get them off incase they were just on the surface but they are still there.

Does anyone else have this?

Also the metal seems to be corroding in other ways - ie its going white and a little "flakey" i thought it was just salt from the road but its not.

Any ideas?

markiii

which metal exactly are we talking about?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

Can you post a comparative picture to Sean's so we can see what you are refering to.

I suspect you mean the aluminium cam-cover, which is prone to corroding on some cars. Toyota seem to treat some of the covers with a varnish like coating, wheras others are just bare aluminium. This seems to suggest 2 different suppliers for the casting

Anonymous

My digicam is at uni but its the part that is behind the rocker cover that you can see and also the bit that juts out a bit - looking a bit like a boob   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

ie direectly to the right og what i think the MAF is?

Anonymous

Gimme a sec i'll put two arrows on Slacey's pic

markiii

If your talking about the manifold heatshield then it's common, Sean just got lucky, mines terrible.

as for the aluminium cam cover Steves right mine is again corroding something terrible.

Not a lot you can do about that one unless you buy a brand new car and treat it immediately.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

markiii

yep those are the bits we were reffering to.

Anonymous

yup, mine rusts there too... a bit of a scrub and it will come up ok. i also used Autoglym Metal Polish on it, and it seemed to work ok.

Anonymous

I've had a big patch of rust where the second arrow is pointing since taking delivery of the car. Come to think of it, rust is starting to appear from new places especially on the brake discs and the alloy nuts   s:( :( s:(  

I think I'll have to mention that to service when the time comes. Not too sure what they'll do about it though

Slacey

The trick to keeping the bay nice and clean like Kris' and mine is... to be completely sad and have nothing better to do  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  , oh, and a good supply of AutoGlym or similar products!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tem

Quote from: "bigun007"I was giving my car a proper clean today and went to do my engine bay, only 2nd time in 7 months i've done the engine   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Anyway i noticed that the metal was all corroded and had "Rust Spots"

They are metal. They rust. Quite normal  s:) :) s:)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: