Tom's Brace

Started by custardavenger, September 3, 2008, 20:28

custardavenger

Does anyone has any pictures of the Tom's front under brace? I have the ones posted on the bracing group buy (can't post them because putfile isn't working) but just wondered if anyone had some more? Also pictures of the midship brace fitted would be great.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

markiii

yep somewhere I'll dig them out
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

custardavenger

Cheers Mark
Project Custard Clicky

Tem

Quote from: "custardavenger"Does anyone has any pictures of the Tom's front under brace? I have the ones posted on the bracing group buy (can't post them because putfile isn't working) but just wondered if anyone had some more?

I'm not sure which pic you mean, but here's the pics from Toms site and few links to SC for more pics.

Front Suspension Brace

Front Lower Performance Rod

Rear Lower Body Strengthening Brace no. 1

Rear Lower Body Strengthening Brace no. 2

Rear Upper Performance Rod (Strut Bar)

Rear Lower Performance Rod

Installed pics:
 m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5606 m

Review:
 m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28450 m

Prices when they were still on sale:
 m http://www.newtoyotaparts.com/model/str ... 3&cat_id=7 m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

custardavenger

Cheers Tem thats great.
Project Custard Clicky

markiii

I'm assuming you meant teh top one, in which case an observation

I can see no good reason that the unit comes in 2 pieces that bolt together

it would actually have made fitting easier if it were a single piece
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"I'm assuming you meant the top one, in which case an observation

I think it's because there was an option for a bigger brace to mate with that piece, instead of the single bar pictured here. Kinda like what the TTE and 3.0 are doing these days.

I'm not 100% sure if it was Tom's who did it, but I think it was. At least it had the same color in the pics, but I have only seen one not-so-good pic about that, so don't count on it.  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

that would make sense though I've never even heard of that brace existing until now

custardavenger

Quote from: "markiii"I'm assuming you meant the top one, in which case an observation

Yeah thats the one I'll be making first. Will be making it as one piece with spacers to allow me to make a midship brace as well (now or later depending on time and funds).

Just so you know for the rear my plan is also to build a redesigned rear beam instead of adding bracing. But that hinges on me getting an old beam to play with. (think I may have one)

Top side I'll be saving my pennies for the TRD strut braces. (rear once the charge cooler is fitted).

Dam I'm gonna be busy
Project Custard Clicky

kanujunkie

Quote from: "markiii"I can see no good reason that the unit comes in 2 pieces that bolt together

it was bad enough fitting it in 2 pieces, one would be a disaster, the alignment at that point is not good and cars will be slightly different due to the effects of twisting, hence why its made in 2 parts and not 1

Rob, what material are you making it from out of interest?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

custardavenger

Alignment won't be an issue as it will be custom for my car ( though I may make a jig for possible future production)

Will be made out of mild steel round w/flat tube (1mm wall I think but am not sure) and all other parts will be mild steel. I don't have the facilities to make it out of anything else. Aluminium would make the machined parts easier but I think that it will be more rigid in steel (I am aware of all the aluminium/steel pro's and cons). I will be getting them galved and powdercoated so if they do get scraped then I won't have to be under there with a brush every time.

Like I said I will also be making a midship brace. This will be in the construction style of the Tom's and locating at the same points the Corky one does. Fo this I will probably use the size smaller round w/flat tube.
Project Custard Clicky

kanujunkie

sounds good, just for your info the toms braces are made out of a similar material, but are thicker than 1mm sidewall, from memory i'd say nearer 3mm, hence the weight of them
[size=100]Stu[/size]

custardavenger

Oh right. Didn't know they were very heavy. The bolt cups may add alot of weight, They'll be turned from bar on mine and will have a wall thickness the same as the thickness of the standard bracing. Will be posting all about it as it comes along.
Project Custard Clicky

kanujunkie

they are substantially heavy to cope with the stresses imposed, i was shocked at the weight of it, i wouldn't bother making it from 1mm though, that will definatley be flimsy at best, if you want to come up with a weight/strength balance then go for 2mm at least
[size=100]Stu[/size]

custardavenger

I'll have to check whats available. I went to the guy i normally get my steel from just to see if he can get hold of it. What he had on the shelf may have been 1.6 but will check before I buy, If I can get 2mm I will.

Obviously I won't be starting this till I'm on top of the engine situation so there's no hurry
Project Custard Clicky

Chris

I have been at marks today swapping the sportivo to me ttet and while we were at it we tried to swap the rear corkies member brace (like the lower rear no. 2brace above) and found that it won't fit as the cross over point in the middle fouls on the pipe exiting the intercooler.  The Toms brace above is a different design that looks like the cross over might be in a different place, so it might fit.. anyone local got one fitted that can post pics of it in place?  Otherwise I guess I'll be looking for someone that can weld aluminium to mod my existing brace..
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

markiii

ironically teh corky was modified from teh Toms design so it cleared teh moroso oil pan  :-) :-) :-)

Chris

Here's the pic:

The red square is the problem area where the brace fouls the intercooloer pipe.  The cross-point section brace of the pipe would either need moving down and/or further to the right to clear the obstruction, or possibly reangled, so it comes steeper down to mee the pipe sloping up further down... so does any one know any one/where that has the required aluminium fabricating & welding facilities?  Any rough idea on cost for the mod?
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

custardavenger

I have someone who can do that who is very resonable. You would need to show me exactly how you want it. Give me a PM if your interested.
Project Custard Clicky

custardavenger

Just as a quickie without starting a new threat. Anyone tell me how thick the brakets on the corky midship brace are? The bits of angle on the corners.
Project Custard Clicky

markiii

4mm from memory

custardavenger

Cheers Mark.
Project Custard Clicky

custardavenger

Just out of interest. Anyone fancy a Tom's style brace? May do a group buy
Project Custard Clicky

evileye_wrx

09 is the year of bracing for me so yup. Definite interest from me

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

custardavenger

What have you got so far? Am also looking at doing myself a Midship brace.
Project Custard Clicky

Tags: