M1 / A1(M) speed tolerances?

Started by Anonymous, September 16, 2008, 13:38

Anonymous

Hi folks,

Just returned from a weekend down in Birmingham and was interested in knowing how many speed tickets I should expect from the M1 and A1(M).  It seems that nearly every vehicle on that road gets a ticket, or so the naysayers claim elsewhere and at the service stations.

Typically the '2 was at around 80-85MPH on the speedo, but the thing that got me was that the cars behind me were tailgating, bumper-to-bumper which apparently hides them from the speed cameras - surely technology should be able to get around that  s;) ;) s;)  ?

So how many presents should I expect in the post?

Anonymous

If you were doing that speed past 4 cameras, you can kiss your licence goodbye. All to save maybe 10mins, is it worth it?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"If you were doing that speed past 4 cameras, you can kiss your licence goodbye. All to save maybe 10mins, is it worth it?

Interesting - and we were in the slow lane, there were cars going past us much faster   s:!: :!: s:!:

edward.carter

Quote from: "GroundZero"
Quote from: "Ekona"If you were doing that speed past 4 cameras, you can kiss your licence goodbye. All to save maybe 10mins, is it worth it?

Interesting - and we were in the slow lane, there were cars going past us much faster   s:!: :!: s:!:
Well in that case it must be ok, im sure when you tell the police people were going faster than you they will totally understand  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

In my unfortunate experiences, you usually see the camera flash in the mirror; if you didn't, then fingers crossed   s:D :D s:D

aaronjb

Quote from: "sandstrain"In my unfortunate experiences, you usually see the camera flash in the mirror; if you didn't, then fingers crossed   s:D :D s:D

Of course that doesn't work with SPECS cameras that silently read your number plate, then read it again in 1 mile and average your speed, automatically sending you a computerised ticket...
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Oh shit!

roger

Quote from: "aaronjb"Of course that doesn't work with SPECS cameras that silently read your number plate, then read it again in 1 mile and average your speed, automatically sending you a computerised ticket...

I was flashed by a forward facing SPECS camera at the end of roadworks 4 or 5 months ago and thought the worst, but nothing happened. Wasn't sure if that was just to read the plate, or whether my excess speed (I was trying hard to keep just to the limit) was not prosecutable.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Well, I didn't see any flashes, but I sure as hell saw alot of cameras underhanging bridges and those ones resembling the cameras on the Pistonhead report here:  m http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=18667 m

My dad, ex-police, said 80-85MPH isn't an offense, but 87+ is.

aaronjb

SPECS don't flash - they're the big CCTV looking cameras on very very tall poles.

TRUVELO, perhaps? They have an infra red flash, unseen, and a small round lense - they're triggered by piezo strips, not radar.

There are no visible-flash forward facing cameras, AFAIK, but there are 'false' GATSOs which contain non-directionally sensitive radar gear that triggers in either direction.

Oh and yes, what GZ posted are SPECS cameras - however I don't believe they are ever installed on anything but those tall poles. Bridge cameras are usually in blue casings and are the traffic monitoring cameras.

Oh - and 80mph is an offence. Anything over 70mph is an offence, to the letter of the law.  That you won't be prosecuted till 10%+2mph over the limit is the general rule of thumb but does not have to be followed.  If they want, they can do you for 71mph.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Liz

Quote from: "GroundZero"My dad, ex-police, said 80-85MPH isn't an offense, but 87+ is.

Do what!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    I take it he was not a traffic officer then!  

Yes they exercise a certain amount of discretion when they PULL someone up, SOMETIMES if the person passes the attitude test they will be ok - however there is no argument against a machine like the SPECS, if it has recorded you speeding then your done.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Quote from: "GroundZero"My dad, ex-police, said 80-85MPH isn't an offense, but 87+ is.

I assume that is why he is ex police.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

evileye_wrx

I received a ticket for 86mph so the 87+ theory is bollocks, especially as cameras are emotionless bastards and won't let you off if you smile at them sweetly. They are just like machines!   s:D :D s:D  

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

My dad was referring more towards the 10% inaccuracy of the speedo and the tolerance of the cameras, muppets  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "GroundZero"My dad was referring more towards the 10% inaccuracy of the speedo and the tolerance of the cameras, muppets  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Not an accountant either then.

Liz

Quote from: "GroundZero"My dad was referring more towards the 10% inaccuracy of the speedo and the tolerance of the cameras, muppets  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Charmed  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   - get your Dad to join up and explain his theory to us!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

nyeregis

Before speed cameras and "safety partnerships" the advice offered by the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) to traffic officers was that 70+10%+5mph was an acceptable motorway speed.  The government quashed that discretion when cameras started to generate lots of income.
Lagoon blue, hardtop, Corky\'s, Hass turbo, E Manage, A/C. Kirks.

Anonymous

Obviously this is just a 'me' thing but the speed limit on mortorways in this country is 70 mph.
I don't really see what this thread is about (duck, again   s:D :D s:D   )

evileye_wrx

This thread is about whinging that you might have a ticket, or several, for breaking the speed limit.

Oh yeah, and if we are muppets can I be the Saxophone guy. I think he was called Zoot or something   s8) 8) s8)  

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

DannyN

Not joining in the arguing but I'm going to be Animal - On Drums

(It was my first ever fancy dress party costume, aged 4)
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"If you were doing that speed past 4 cameras, you can kiss your licence goodbye.

He may well get one ticket per camera but he has only committed one offence, only one ticket counts.

Anonymous

Quote from: "evileye_xc"Oh yeah, and if we are muppets can I be the Saxophone guy. I think he was called Zoot or something   s8) 8) s8)  

Phil

No, you have to be that "Mnam-Mnah" dude, or one of those cow backing vocalists!

Anonymous

I have to admit that sometimes I can be driving on a motorway at 80 and still every bugger is driving past me.  Makes me wonder if they know something I don't.

aaronjb

That or they are the new breed of driver; no license, no insurance and no tax.  Why bother about the cameras?  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

That is clearly bol***ks as ive had my last 6 points from going 76mph and 77mph both on the A1

Cameras both times.

Tags: