M1 / A1(M) speed tolerances?

Started by Anonymous, September 16, 2008, 13:38

onion86

Quote from: "DannyN"

(It was my first ever fancy dress party costume, aged 4)

That's a really good costume. Looks exactly like the real one!

I went through a front facing camera at 79mph on my speedo in the Civic on the A1 north bound when I was in a hurry and it didn't flash or do anything and I never got a ticket. From using a GPS, I worked out that going 70mph on my 2 speedo is about 3mph out (although the GPS probably also isn't 100% accurate). I was pretty much with Aaron on the limit+10%+2mph rule, I think this probably applies to solid cameras and not hand held ones, they can pretty much do you for anything over the limit on them.

Tbh after you'd gone through say 2 cameras did you not thing "hmm maybe I should slow down"... The easiest thing to do is just not speed and make a pretty pointless thread.

AFAIK, from Birmingham, junction 23a-31 M1 there are no speed cameras (except for the current 50mph limit where the road widening is taking place).
On the A1(M) there are no speed cameras that I know of, north of that I have no clue. The only 'ones under bridges' that would actually catch you and send you a ticket are the ones on the M42 which operate 7am-7pm (ish) and are average speed checkers through every bridge for around a 7mile stretch with a normal national 70mph speed limit.

Quote from: "Moleshome"He may well get one ticket per camera but he has only committed one offence, only one ticket counts.

I also think that if you go through 4 speed cameras and are over the speed limit enough to get flashed, you receive 4 tickets through the post and get 4 lots of points i.e. lose license. Otherwise based on that assumption, I can now speed as much as I like on a undefined limit road and not get any more points because I already have an SP30 from 2 years ago   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

evileye_wrx

As I mentioned cameras are machines there is no leniency built into them. Traffic Cops might apply a +10%+2mph rule but even they don't have to. 71mph is against the law if you choose to drive faster than that you risk a fine and points. Try pleading it in court that people were passing you or that tail gaters were forcing you to break the law and see what the judge says. I dare anyone to do that rather than take the pain.

When I was ticketed I rang up to see if Kent police would allow me to do the driver training course. More expensive than the fine but no points on the licence. I would advise any speeders who do get caught to do this as it depends on that Constablary's policy whether you can do this. I wasn't allowed to but I haven't whinged about it. Ground Zero you face the 2 week finger crossing hoping that the letter, or letters don't fall thru your letter box.... and you call us muppets?!?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

Quote from: "onion86"
Quote from: "Moleshome"He may well get one ticket per camera but he has only committed one offence, only one ticket counts.

I also think that if you go through 4 speed cameras and are over the speed limit enough to get flashed, you receive 4 tickets through the post and get 4 lots of points i.e. lose license. Otherwise based on that assumption, I can now speed as much as I like on a undefined limit road and not get any more points because I already have an SP30 from 2 years ago   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Admit the first offence, deny the others on the grounds that you are still on the same journey. A colleague's wife did exactly that when she would have got a ban from totting up and her defence was accepted. Unfortunately your SP30 doesn't protect you because you're no longer on the same journey.

roger

Quote from: "aaronjb"SPECS don't flash - they're the big CCTV looking cameras on very very tall poles.

TRUVELO, perhaps? They have an infra red flash, unseen, and a small round lense - they're triggered by piezo strips, not radar.

There are no visible-flash forward facing cameras, AFAIK, but there are 'false' GATSOs which contain non-directionally sensitive radar gear that triggers in either direction.

Oh and yes, what GZ posted are SPECS cameras - however I don't believe they are ever installed on anything but those tall poles. Bridge cameras are usually in blue casings and are the traffic monitoring cameras.

What were they then?

Roadworks on motorway cutting it down to 2 lanes, with a speed limit 50mph, and camera signs stating average speed restriction. Long pole with 2 small cameras at beginning of road works, another in the middle and one at the end, all with the cameras facing the traffic. It was the end one that flashed. Definitely not Truvelo, these are fixed roadside AFAIAA, and nothing like GATSOs. I thought they were SPECS?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

aaronjb

Sound like SPECS, but SPECS don't use a flash - they have a fixed IR lamp (AFAIK) since they are constantly reading numberplates, not taking instantaneous pictures..

That was my understanding, anyway - there are SPECS cameras on the M4 and M3 roadworks, and none of them appear to have a flash housing..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

SteveJ

Quote from: "aaronjb"Sound like SPECS, but SPECS don't use a flash - they have a fixed IR lamp (AFAIK) since they are constantly reading numberplates, not taking instantaneous pictures..

That was my understanding, anyway - there are SPECS cameras on the M4 and M3 roadworks, and none of them appear to have a flash housing..

Aaron is correct - the SPECS cameras DO NOT have flash units - they have IR emitters either side of the camera lens.

I suspect what Roger saw was a reflection from either the camera lens or the IR emitter cover.

Anonymous

There were SPECS at the roadworks on the M1 which we were doing 45MPH through (for a good 30+miles).  It was further on on the open road that we were concerned about as the speed kept creeping up especially going downhill and had to constantly adjust that right foot.  

Me and the other guys who went down have decided that we didn't see any flashes and we didn't speed through the road works, so we should be fine in that regard. But we reckon we may get a ticket (there were 2 cars) from the A1(M) where the speed peaked downhill.

To be honest, i'm not that worried - if I get tickets then I get tickets, no point worrying about something that is already a given.  

The irony is that you always seem slower in the MR2 than in a taller vehicle, so you have to force yourself to watch the speedo else you will find that it easily ascends into 80-100MPH territory.

Anonymous

Me wubs cruise control.   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

aaronjb

Quote from: "Ekona"Me wubs cruise control.   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

I only miss it (the ZX had it) very occasionally, when there's no traffic and I'd really like to sit at a nice steady X0mph.. usually I'm waiting for the pottering fool in front to get out of the way so I can lead foot it again though, so it's not that useful for me.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

loadswine

CC is brilliant for those roadworks and other sections covered by the specs cameras. I find I have to concentrate much harder when I'm driving the 2 in those bits to keep legal.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Liz

Quote from: "GroundZero"..... so you have to forceyourself to watch the speedo else you will find that it easily ascends into 80-100MPH territory.

Force yourself?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  , surely watching the speedo is part of safe driving? If your not thats called driving without due care and attention, ask your Dad.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

I don't ask to be patronised Liz; you can drive safely with a rough idea of your vehicle's velocity but you have to look down to see if you are in the clear or if you have laxed your concentration during a monotonous time of the journey.  Don't come and say that everyone can concentrate for a full 5 1/2hr trip because I don't believe it one bit, everyone will have moments and that is when the speed creeps up, and you think "Oh crap! didn't feel like 85MPH" and then knock it down to a speedo reading of between 70-80 depending on the traffic flow.

On the topic of Cruise Control, I would have killed for that during this trip.  My right foot was almost going into cramp on the journey down, and on the journey back I would have loved to have moved my legs a bit in the cabin.  Whats the  mpg eco like on the 350Z on the motorway Ekona at cruise control at a steady, say, 70?
When you disengage CC, does it lurch forward or slow down dramatically?

Liz

Quote from: "GroundZero"I don't ask to be patronised Liz...

Nor did we with that bull you posted earlier about what your Dad said about tolerances.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

roger

Quote from: "GroundZero"Don't come and say that everyone can concentrate for a full 5 1/2hr trip because I don't believe it one bit,

I agree, that's why its recommended to have breaks every 2 hours or so.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Quote from: "GroundZero"Whats the  mpg eco like on the 350Z on the motorway Ekona at cruise control at a steady, say, 70?
Mpg goes up to about 30mpg when sat at 70mph in 6th with CC on, and the engagement/disengagement of it is far smoother than I'd ever be. No sudden drop in speed as it comes off, and when using the buttons to adjust speed up there's no jump there either.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"
Quote from: "GroundZero"I don't ask to be patronised Liz...

Nor did we with that bull you posted earlier about what your Dad said about tolerances.

Clearly you know better than a 30yr serving Traffic and Crash Investigation Police Officer who teaches advanced driving to fellow officers and I should lose all respect for him and his wisdom  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Quote from: "Ekona"
Quote from: "GroundZero"Whats the  mpg eco like on the 350Z on the motorway Ekona at cruise control at a steady, say, 70?
Mpg goes up to about 30mpg when sat at 70mph in 6th with CC on, and the engagement/disengagement of it is far smoother than I'd ever be. No sudden drop in speed as it comes off, and when using the buttons to adjust speed up there's no jump there either.

I have been put off a Lotus after this trip (and a friend who was involved in a nasty head-on) so would be looking more towards a motorway friendly vehicle in the future. Is the 350Z grippy despite having the engine at the front?

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "GroundZero"I have been put off a Lotus after this trip (and a friend who was involved in a nasty head-on) so would be looking more towards a motorway friendly vehicle in the future. Is the 350Z grippy despite having the engine at the front?

Check out Dan's thread on his recent experiences.
 l viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22381 l

Simon

Anonymous

What your father said about tolerances had no relation to cameras, ergo it was wrong.

So saying if i am ever caught doing 84mph in a 70mph zone i will decline the fixed penalty and opt for court, calling your father as an expert witness in my defense.

Anonymous

Quote from: "GroundZero"I have been put off a Lotus after this trip (and a friend who was involved in a nasty head-on) so would be looking more towards a motorway friendly vehicle in the future. Is the 350Z grippy despite having the engine at the front?
You're mad. Have you not seen any pictures of the Elise chassis after a big crash? It's almost rarely touched, and IMHO is one of the safest places to be in when you have a crash. I'd rather be in one of those than a Zed in comparable accidents, put it that way.

Anonymous

Probably am mad yes, but no cruise control in a Lotus for those long trips.

Anonymous

So? Unless you're doing 6hr drives every single day on motorways, you'll only ever use CC for maybe 1-2% of total driving time. It's not a reason not to get an Elise, put it that way. Crap heater yes, lack of CC no.

evileye_wrx

Don't Monkey Wrench make a Cruise Control for the '2?

Ground Zero, if your such a poor driver that you can misjudge your own speed 'accidentally' by +15mph perhaps you should consider taking the Advanced driving course yourself. Your Dad can even give you extra lessons. And one of his mates will test you.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

heathstimpson

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "aaronjb"SPECS don't flash - they're the big CCTV looking cameras on very very tall poles.

TRUVELO, perhaps? They have an infra red flash, unseen, and a small round lense - they're triggered by piezo strips, not radar.

There are no visible-flash forward facing cameras, AFAIK, but there are 'false' GATSOs which contain non-directionally sensitive radar gear that triggers in either direction.

Oh and yes, what GZ posted are SPECS cameras - however I don't believe they are ever installed on anything but those tall poles. Bridge cameras are usually in blue casings and are the traffic monitoring cameras.

What were they then?

Roadworks on motorway cutting it down to 2 lanes, with a speed limit 50mph, and camera signs stating average speed restriction. Long pole with 2 small cameras at beginning of road works, another in the middle and one at the end, all with the cameras facing the traffic. It was the end one that flashed. Definitely not Truvelo, these are fixed roadside AFAIAA, and nothing like GATSOs. I thought they were SPECS?
Probably only work lighting and you went past as they switched them on  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

carl_evs

Thats why I always drive witht he TomTom on in the works van - so I know the location of the cameras and adjust my speed accordingly (not that i speed of course  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )... as for the mobile ones - usually if you're alert you can spot them before you're in trouble! Yes i realise i was caught the other week but that was near home when i was busy chatting to the passenger and in brain off mode!! First ticket in 5 years so not all that fussed - even if i did follow Mr Plod at a greater speed on the same roadon the way back!!! 1 rule for all and all that.......  s:? :? s:?  

I travel through the SPECS cameras on the M1 a couple of times a week and am usually sat at around 53 indicated on the Satnav (56-57 on the clock) and have never had a problem. As for actual 'real' officers - i had a traffic cop come past me the other week and i was cruising at just over 80 (83 iirc) and all i got was 'the nod' as they went past - it was a clear day and not much else on the road, guessing they used a bit of common sense - which i quite refreshing nowadays!!!
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

Slacey

Quote from: "evileye_xc"Don't Monkey Wrench make a Cruise Control for the '2?

Ground Zero, if your such a poor driver that you can misjudge your own speed 'accidentally' by +15mph perhaps you should consider taking the Advanced driving course yourself. Your Dad can even give you extra lessons. And one of his mates will test you.

Phil
Wise words.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tags: