M1 / A1(M) speed tolerances?

Started by Anonymous, September 16, 2008, 13:38

roger

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "evileye_xc"Don't Monkey Wrench make a Cruise Control for the '2?

Ground Zero, if your such a poor driver that you can misjudge your own speed 'accidentally' by +15mph perhaps you should consider taking the Advanced driving course yourself. Your Dad can even give you extra lessons. And one of his mates will test you.

Phil
Wise words.

Take my IAM this afternoon, wish me luck   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Liz

Good luck Roger!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

uktotty

never read this thread as I thought it was about nuts and bolts!
Made me laugh tho!
If you are going FASTER than the speed limit you are speeding, that's why they call it a speed limit.
What a pointless thread, also don't forget that the 10% thing is fine if your speedo is 100% accurate, if your speedo is 10% out then you are doing 20% over the limit!

enid_b

good luck roger.

breathed a partial sigh of relief when i heard the cameras are not north of leeds. had two trips up and down to chester le street recently, so fingers crossed for me. as said though, once you go above 70, you are running the risk, no excuses, you speed you get caught, no room to moan.

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "evileye_xc"Don't Monkey Wrench make a Cruise Control for the '2?

Ground Zero, if your such a poor driver that you can misjudge your own speed 'accidentally' by +15mph perhaps you should consider taking the Advanced driving course yourself. Your Dad can even give you extra lessons. And one of his mates will test you.

Phil
Wise words.

Take my IAM this afternoon, wish me luck   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Best of luck Roger, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Liz

I hope Ground zeros dad isn't the examiner!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "Liz"I hope Ground zeros dad isn't the examiner!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

If he is then 86mph will be fine. I know my Advanced Driving Examiner wouldn't have allowed that I thought he had failed me for a teeny crunch of the gears but he put it down to nerves phew!

Phil
Phil

heathstimpson

Good luck Roger  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Liz

I am worried - <puts on best Life of Brian voice> where's Roger?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"I am worried - <puts on best Life of Brian voice> where's Roger?

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Roger had a few misfortunes during his test today.  s:( :( s:(   He scraped the examiners new car on the way out of the test centre, ran over Frank Bruno's cat and crashed into a van of rare Venetian crystal.
As a consequence of these actions Roger has given me his car, signed over the title deeds to his house and asked me to accept the hand of his youngest daughter in marriage.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
As a fellow ROC member i felt it was my duty to help and have arranged delivery of both car and daughter. The house will be up for sale on here shortly.
Anyone who believes they may be Roger's size and build may wish to visit the white cliffs of dover where they will find a neat collection of clothes and a pair of shoes close to the edge.
Please be careful when removing them as they may contain a note.

Wabbitkilla

This one is almost as good (bad) as Groundzero and the BMW experience on the A19.

If you're over the speed limit, and it's a camera - then you have a high probability of getting done.
If you're over the speed limit, and it's one of our friendly boys in blue then it's up to his discretion and whether he had a good night with the missus the night before. Probability is that if you're not behaving like a loon you wont get done, or might just get "reminded" what the speed limit is.

Speeding is not big and it's not clever and it's not terrily bright coming on the internet and bragging about it. Also I wonder if your dad would be pleased to know the claims you are making on here, or his bosses would consider it prudent use of the information?

I suggest you start behaving a bit more sanely on the road and pay attention to what's going on around you and what your instruments are telling you before you hurt someone.

For information Nrth Yorkshire police don't have any fixed cameras, but they do have plenty of unmarked vans equipped with cameras.
Even a van stood at the side of the road with the back door open a few inches can have a camera in it - i've seen it.
An MX5 has been used with a speed gun and waiting marked car along the road.

Darlington area used to be infamous for putting vans on bridges crossing the A1M.

Don't know about Durham Constabulary, but Northumbria have a liking for performance cars and chasing down miscreants.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Don't know about Durham Constabulary, but Northumbria have a liking for performance cars and chasing down miscreants.

Whilst driving thru County Durham just this week I saw a brand new 5 series (I think) BMW in silver with little blue flashy lights pulled up on the hard shoulder behind another vehicle. I think it's a stroke of genius by the traffic cops. They have sat there and said what type of car driver do other motorists hate and feel obliged to burn off? Let's blow the budget and get a nice comfy BM for catching those who have 'accidentally-gone-over-the-speed-limit-by-15mph-cos-they-couldn't-be-bothered-to-look-down-momentarily-but-know-its-ok-cos-their-Dad-told-them'

Durham don't have fixed cameras either but they do have a high number of cars, both marked and unmarked.

Phil
Phil

northernalex

Speeding? whats that?  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Since when was I bragging?

I was asking if any of you think that the speeds registered on my speedo would cause a camera to activate and if I should expect a ticket since I have no experience of that road network and it's tolerances.  This is quite truthfully another case of the big forum bashing brigade or have you folks really managed to draw some links between what I have said in this thread and "LOL DUDE, 100MPH I RULEZ!!11"??

In any case, i'm very happy to have given you some light in your forum lives as you quite clearly are missing something if you feel the need to pointless preach to the already converted regarding road safety.

I thought better of you folks, being mature and all that, however I was clearly wrong.  Consider this my final post on this thread and this forum; if I need advice or guidance i'll look elsewhere.

Have a good one, and hell, don't ever ask about speed limits.

Wabbitkilla

No one expects.....

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Good morning Mr Zero.
I am sorry you feel like that, but to be brutsally honest you have now and previously admitted....
A lack of attention allowed a BMW 1 series drive up the inside on the A19 whilst daydreaming.
Speeding on the M1 and A1M for an extended period.
A lack of attention allowing you to speed in whatever work you were engaged in.

You have stated your father is a crash accident investigator, trained engineer, and Police driving trainer - i hasten to add all professions i have an immense respect for. But i also add you dads job can't be used as an excuse for poor driving attention or dicision making.

Ok, we have all been  young, impetuous, irreverent, and i'm sure we all remember those days with a little bit of relish. But many of us have survived and have gained a lot of valuable exerience and hopefully wisdom along the way.

Now to the question you've eventually come to, which i add you have asked before, ... how accurate is the speedo. It has been answered before too, manufacturers make speedoes to indicate speed in the region of 10% hopeful. This has two benefits... for them they can sell cars with a top speed which impresses our egoes, for road safety it means that everyone is driving 10% ish below the speed limit if we drive at the speed limit. This helps improve road safety apparently. The head honchoes in the blue brigade did at one time have a gentlemans agreement to be nice up to 10% plus 2 for prosecution which actually meant you were doing 20% plus 2 ish and obviously speeding. This has been changed since it is such a good revenue earner for the government. Police are allowed to use discretion, cameras don't know about that.

I suppose if it really bothered us we could all go to a dyno and get our speedoes calibrated and pay for copies of the dyno calibration documentation as supporting evidence.

imho i don't think you have anything to worry about for the trip you describe, but i know from your past postings that you have an attention problem whilst on the road and would encourage you to concentrate more on what you're doing. Maybe even have a go with IAM to sharpen up your skills. We're not all perfect, but many of us know when we have made mistakes and been foolish - it's all part of learning.

I am tempted to say this is the last time i'll post in this thread, but experience has taught me that may not be the case.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "evileye_xc"Whilst driving through County Durham just this week I saw a brand new 5 series (I think) BMW in silver with little blue flashy lights pulled up on the hard shoulder behind another vehicle. I think it's a stroke of genius by the traffic cops. They have sat there and said what type of car driver do other motorists hate and feel obliged to burn off? Let's blow the budget and get a nice comfy BM for catching those who have 'accidentally-gone-over-the-speed-limit-by-15mph-cos-they-couldn't-be-bothered-to-look-down-momentarily-but-know-its-ok-cos-their-Dad-told-them'
GLOL   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Quote from: "GroundZero"Consider this my final post on this thread and this forum; if I need advice or guidance i'll look elsewhere.
Are you taking your ball back too?  s:( :( s:(

The simple fact is that in your first post you admitted to knowing your were speeding all the way between Brum and Boro, and not even by a dull 1 or 2 mph, but by a whopping great 10-15. I think that was the difference between a "Whoops, I may have strayed a touch over, am I going to be ok?" kind of post that elicits a more soothing response than what you received, and the "I was breaking the speed limit for ages, y'all reckon I got away with it? Btw my Dad's a SuperCopper and pwns you all" post which was exactly how you came across.

Leave or don't leave. The ones that stay after a slaughtering are the ones who generally gain our respect on here (Leon in the past, and I'm going to argue that Deej is heading the same way now) and the ones that leave are the people we tend to think of as never really worth the bother anyway (Bossman for one). It's up to you which kind you want to be.

Anonymous

I miss him already.  s:( :( s:(  

The playthings are well and truly absent from the perambulater i fear and the pacifier has been launched at speed from the oral orifice.

Perhaps you will return as Dan says, tbh zero there is no better forum for information, advice and general banter than this for the roadster, you would be foolish not to take advantage of the resources here.

enid_b

smoke a spliff and chillax zero

no need to throw it all in and 'im never posting here again' -

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Tags: